Race for the Calder - Part II

Jugitsu

Dec 24, 2016
Finland
Couple of pretty bad takes here. "Its all about points and pace" when Kaprizov has 11 goals in the last 11 games... then calling him A catalyst but not the sole reason they are doing good. This is the NHL, each team is going to have other catalysts to support the star player on the roster. The amount of clutch in the past 5 games alone for Kaprizov has been enough to warrant a put the team on my back approach. McDavid is having an unreal season but you act like he doesn't have Drai right there and is sole reason.. would he still have the success hes having, no doubt, but he isn't on some island.

McDavid is directly involved in over half the goals that Edmonton scores and his PPG is through the roof while his partner in crime is rocking a similar PPG that he had last year. While no single player is ever going to be the sole reason their team makes it to the playoffs, there's no question about who's the runaway Hart winner this year.

Wild clinched a while back so those 11 goals in 11 games without a context is a bit silly to bring up. He's been great, don't get me wrong but the biggest difference IMO the Wild has over last year is good goaltending. Up until the Wild pretty much sealed the deal this year, they scored at a similar rate to last year. So scoring wasn't the issue really and they had offensively someone steering the boat in Kevin Fiala and his career year.

StateofCelly

Jan 5, 2017
McDavid is directly involved in over half the goals that Edmonton scores and his PPG is through the roof while his partner in crime is rocking a similar PPG that he had last year. While no single player is ever going to be the sole reason their team makes it to the playoffs, there's no question about who's the runaway Hart winner this year.

Wild clinched a while back so those 11 goals in 11 games without a context is a bit silly to bring up. He's been great, don't get me wrong but the biggest difference IMO the Wild has over last year is good goaltending. Up until the Wild pretty much sealed the deal this year, they scored at a similar rate to last year. So scoring wasn't the issue really and they had offensively someone steering the boat in Kevin Fiala and his career year.

11 goals in 11 games is with context. It doesn't matter that they clinched when seeding was still at line. Last year was the worst year for goaltending sure, but the first few seasons of Dubnyk with our defense were some of the best. Our plague was not being able to score. There is a reason all Wild fans talk about him being the best scorer we have ever had. We have never had someone when a game is on the line, be a consistent factor in an outcome and that is what hes been and where those 11 goals come into context. Fiala did have a career year last year and was scoring with Staal as his center and having virtually no one else to discipate to. Kaprizov has faced the top defensive matchups from other teams all year, as a rookie.. and hasn't stopped. I mean I can respect your opinion, but I have watched every Wild game religiously since inception... I have suffered through a lot of ineptitude and brought a lot of false hope haha. The difference this year is Kaprizov. The rest of the roster on paper is all over performing and playing out of position in many instances. Ek coming into his own has been huge, and obviously Fiala is a difference maker.. but to over look the true impact of 97 is laughable.

Also no one is questioning that McDavid is the run away Hart winner.. the point of that being discussed was all the Robertson hype (justified by his push) but the fact that Kaprizov has the Calder locked and really should also get Hart consideration, even if its just in top 10 fashion and its justifiable.

Jugitsu

Dec 24, 2016
Finland
11 goals in 11 games is with context. It doesn't matter that they clinched when seeding was still at line. Last year was the worst year for goaltending sure, but the first few seasons of Dubnyk with our defense were some of the best. Our plague was not being able to score. There is a reason all Wild fans talk about him being the best scorer we have ever had. We have never had someone when a game is on the line, be a consistent factor in an outcome and that is what hes been and where those 11 goals come into context. Fiala did have a career year last year and was scoring with Staal as his center and having virtually no one else to discipate to. Kaprizov has faced the top defensive matchups from other teams all year, as a rookie.. and hasn't stopped. I mean I can respect your opinion, but I have watched every Wild game religiously since inception... I have suffered through a lot of ineptitude and brought a lot of false hope haha. The difference this year is Kaprizov. The rest of the roster on paper is all over performing and playing out of position in many instances. Ek coming into his own has been huge, and obviously Fiala is a difference maker.. but to over look the true impact of 97 is laughable.

Also no one is questioning that McDavid is the run away Hart winner.. the point of that being discussed was all the Robertson hype (justified by his push) but the fact that Kaprizov has the Calder locked and really should also get Hart consideration, even if its just in top 10 fashion and its justifiable.

You're preaching to the choir brother. I'm a Wild fan first and foremost. Not since inception but long enough to feel the pain. Gaborik used to be my favorite Wild player - a mantle that has now been bestowed upon Kaprizov. While I do recognize that Kaprizov is probably the most talented player to ever put on a Wild jersey, I'm not ready to proclaim him as the best scorer we've ever had. And I honestly can't believe I'm here trying to downplay Kaprizov for what he has done so far, but I just don't see it the same way. Minnesota has had a solid team for years now with a well polished defensive system with a longtime defensive core that doesn't pale in comparison to any team in the league. Last year was on outlier, Dubnyk was finally exposed for what he's arguably been for years - our D was finally unable to bail him out. A year before that our team was a solid mess with an identity crisis but the team never regressed to a point where a single super star would make a difference. That's my point. A lot of things fell into place for this year, one integral part being Kaprizov but just as importantly we finally have a goalie duo that can occasionally bail us out and we were able to drop some dead weight along the way. The whole line of EEK, Foligno and Greenway has been phenomenal. Kaprizov is leading the way but he doesn't have the team on his back.

StateofCelly

Jan 5, 2017
You're preaching to the choir brother. I'm a Wild fan first and foremost. Not since inception but long enough to feel the pain. Gaborik used to be my favorite Wild player - a mantle that has now been bestowed upon Kaprizov. While I do recognize that Kaprizov is probably the most talented player to ever put on a Wild jersey, I'm not ready to proclaim him as the best scorer we've ever had. And I honestly can't believe I'm here trying to downplay Kaprizov for what he has done so far, but I just don't see it the same way. Minnesota has had a solid team for years now with a well polished defensive system with a longtime defensive core that doesn't pale in comparison to any team in the league. Last year was on outlier, Dubnyk was finally exposed for what he's arguably been for years - our D was finally unable to bail him out. A year before that our team was a solid mess with an identity crisis but the team never regressed to a point where a single super star would make a difference. That's my point. A lot of things fell into place for this year, one integral part being Kaprizov but just as importantly we finally have a goalie duo that can occasionally bail us out and we were able to drop some dead weight along the way. The whole line of EEK, Foligno and Greenway has been phenomenal. Kaprizov is leading the way but he doesn't have the team on his back.
I guess agree to disagree, but as fans of the team its good that this is the discussion and not something another direction.

Jugitsu

Dec 24, 2016
Finland
I guess agree to disagree, but as fans of the team its good that this is the discussion and not something another direction.

Amen.

Just a few closing words: perhaps my gripe with your assessment stems from the fact that at the moment I'm proud of the team as a whole and perhaps feel that by seeing Kaprizov getting some Hart recognition, that kind of sells the rest of the team low and how they've overcome their demons from the last 2 years.

StateofCelly

Jan 5, 2017
Amen.

Just a few closing words: perhaps my gripe with your assessment stems from the fact that at the moment I'm proud of the team as a whole and perhaps feel that by seeing Kaprizov getting some Hart recognition, that kind of sells the rest of the team low and how they've overcome their demons from the last 2 years.
I don't know that that is an objective way of looking at it. Sure give the team their props as they have performed well this year. However I truly feel that if things remain static into next season there will be regression to the mean due to the normal divisions as well as guys playing more in line with their true skill set/production. I do believe we have some noted growth from guys like Ek, goaltending will be interesting with expansion and so on... but I am not going to undersell what Kaprizov has brough to this team either just to justify that guys have stepped up. I truly believe his influence/hope has been a driving factor for some of these guys really bringing it on a consistent basis.

Reactions: Jugitsu

Jugitsu

Dec 24, 2016
Finland
I don't know that that is an objective way of looking at it. Sure give the team their props as they have performed well this year. However I truly feel that if things remain static into next season there will be regression to the mean due to the normal divisions as well as guys playing more in line with their true skill set/production. I do believe we have some noted growth from guys like Ek, goaltending will be interesting with expansion and so on... but I am not going to undersell what Kaprizov has brough to this team either just to justify that guys have stepped up. I truly believe his influence/hope has been a driving factor for some of these guys really bringing it on a consistent basis.

Objectivity is not in my nature regarding all things Wild.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Kaprizov is one of those players who is able to impose his will on the game. His intangibles are off the charts. Hopefully up and coming prospects like Rossi and Boldy are good enough to complement his game, much as Zuccarello is now.

There is also the option of playing he and Fiala together. It didn't work so well earlier in the year, but they have started to click on the PP.

P10p

May 15, 2012
Wild players noted early in the year that Kaprizov brings a sort of swag to the locker room that definitely rubs off on everyone else, you can see that in how they play this year compared to years previous. Things like that can never be over looked, its not just the results on the ice with Kaprizov, which speak for themselves, its also his attitude and love for the game that seems to be contagious.

GetWild

Apr 3, 2021
Kirill's 50th point :)

Annnnddd another one. 51st point

Last edited:

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Kaprizov is one of those players who is able to impose his will on the game. His intangibles are off the charts. Hopefully up and coming prospects like Rossi and Boldy are good enough to complement his game, much as Zuccarello is now.

There is also the option of playing he and Fiala together. It didn't work so well earlier in the year, but they have started to click on the PP.

This phrasing tickles me!

Anyhow, I'm glad to see Kaprizov pulling away from Robertson. I think at this point, barring an insane final couple games from Robertson, Kaprizov's got this locked up. That got pretty close for a while there, despite what a lot of people say, and I really enjoyed the race. A very good rookie season for both players, and I look forward to seeing what kind of damage they can dole out on the league's defenders and goalies!

space321

May 11, 2011
At least we won't get Star's fans whining about "media coverage" or "KHL experience" anymore.

Reactions: wacko2

serp

Jan 17, 2016
It was a race for a bit in April. Period. When Kaprizov got really hot to close out the year and again was not.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
No question that Robertson made it close for a few weeks there and Stars fans have to be pleased with what he brings. But Kaprizov put it into another gear and once again separated himself from the pack.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
That's pretty damned revisionist, it was close for quite a while. Nothing delusional about Stars fans arguments in favor of Robertson, sorry.

It was only all the close in the minds of HFboards. The people who were thinking it was close were clinging to a 1 point 5v5 lead, or a .1 lead in 5v5 P/60 like it was this massive gap that would somehow overcome the double digit goal lead he had because PP goals don't count or something.

At the end of the day, the goal lead was enough that it none of the other stuff mattered. I said as much at the time

Reactions: wacko2

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
No question that Robertson made it close for a few weeks there and Stars fans have to be pleased with what he brings. But Kaprizov put it into another gear and once again separated himself from the pack.

This pretty much sums it up....and yes, in a pretty dismal season for Dallas, Robertson was one of the few bright spots. Looking forward to next year.

And any Wild fan in here claiming Kap was basically unchallenged from start to finish, clearly either wasn't paying attention, or had blinders on. :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad