Race for the Calder - Part II

Teppo

Mar 3, 2008
That's hilarious that you think that Kaprizov doesn't make his linemates better.
From what I read, Victor Rask put in a lot of work during the off season, and healed his ankle injury, but he is Exhibit A for KK making his line mates better.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Like i said Robertsons only shot would've been if he got to 50+ points and the Stars made the playoffs ( while Kaprizov falters a little ) and neither is going to happen. Kaprizov is going to win but hey Robertson probably has the best rookie season of any Stars player since Modano . So its fitting an older Russian is going to win Calder in his rookie year . ;)

Yeah, because the age gap between Modano and Makarov (12 years) is roughly similar to the gap between Kaprizov and Robertson (a hair over 2 years). :)

chchelseII

Sep 24, 2014
I think the deciding factor will be points generated in road games. KK:23 JR:10.

In fact that whole line for Dallas is miserable on the road. Looks like if they can’t get the line matchups they want, they can’t score. Must be easy to shut down that line.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Yeah, because the age gap between Modano and Makarov (12 years) is roughly similar to the gap between Kaprizov and Robertson (a hair over 2 years). :)

d3d03cbfb2ba83650153600b8fa9662c.jpg

I thought it was very obvious why i put the ;) there ....

Nino Noderreiter

Jul 5, 2011
The Twin Cities
Should we go ahead and chisel him in granite and stick him outside Xcel energy center for all the people to have a pilgrimage to? I highly doubt one of the check marks on the voting ballot is "What is more sexy...goals or assists?"

This would be awesome. Kaprizov is the best player in franchise history already, so I'm down for a statue.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
I think the deciding factor will be points generated in road games. KK:23 JR:10.

In fact that whole line for Dallas is miserable on the road. Looks like if they can’t get the line matchups they want, they can’t score. Must be easy to shut down that line.

They are the only line who can score. Shut that line down and the Stars don't score goals. The Stars needed Seguin back 5-10 games earlier and i'd bet they make the playoffs over the Preds but a one line team is just not going to do it.

Nino Noderreiter

Jul 5, 2011
The Twin Cities
From what I read, Victor Rask put in a lot of work during the off season, and healed his ankle injury, but he is Exhibit A for KK making his line mates better.

That's a bit of the kind of offseason noise that you hear every offseason. He's mostly the same caliber player as when he was getting DNP's, but he probably did put in some level of work. He's actually recently been demoted to lower lines because he's an absolute anchor in terms of whiffing on shots, turning the puck over, not being able to win board battles, etc. He does occasionally flash some NHL level creativity though.

I mean you just have to look at Zuccarello last season compared to this season. If you actually watch Kaprizov on a game by game basis you'd realize how many grade A chances he creates for his line on a per game basis. If he had legit 1st line caliber linemates instead of a middle 6 winger and a borderline NHL level player, he'd have 15-20 more assists this season. He makes both of them better than they are, but that doesn't mean they are great (more focused on Rask).

Again, no hate on Robinson...he's a very legit and good player. He would not make Rask look like he was better than what Kaprizov is making him look like or has made him look like. Kaprizov is the reason that there is storylines like the one you mentioned regarding Rask.

Nino Noderreiter

Jul 5, 2011
The Twin Cities
They are the only line who can score. Shut that line down and the Stars don't score goals. The Stars needed Seguin back 5-10 games earlier and i'd bet they make the playoffs over the Preds but a one line team is just not going to do it.

They should split them up then so they can have scoring on multiple lines, that's what the Wild do. If your argument is that the new lines wouldn't score or produce well then you'd realize why Kaprizov is having such an impressive season. If your argument is that it would make it harder to Robertson to score...well then you'd realize why Kaprizov is having such an impressive season.

If your argument is that Robertson would be able to drive and carry any group of linemates because he's such a driving force...well then why don't the Stars do it? They can play all 3 together on the PP and then actually have some depth scoring. It's the choice that the Wild made with their line choices.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
They should split them up then so they can have scoring on multiple lines, that's what the Wild do. If your argument is that the new lines wouldn't score or produce well then you'd realize why Kaprizov is having such an impressive season. If your argument is that it would make it harder to Robertson to score...well then you'd realize why Kaprizov is having such an impressive season.

If your argument is that Robertson would be able to drive and carry any group of linemates because he's such a driving force...well then why don't the Stars do it? They can play all 3 together on the PP and then actually have some depth scoring. It's the choice that the Wild made with their line choices.

Stars didn't have enough NHL talent available for that for most of the season. Pavelski is looking like he's skating in mud at his point . He wouldn't produce without Robertson at all. Hintz and Robertson i guess you could slit up but i don't think the 4th liners the Stars dress produce with anyone. Not even Connor McDavid.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
Should we go ahead and chisel him in granite and stick him outside Xcel energy center for all the people to have a pilgrimage to? I highly doubt one of the check marks on the voting ballot is "What is more sexy...goals or assists?"

First bolded: Yes. We should absolutely do that. Will you start the goFund me?

Second Bolded:You don't think Kaprizov's highlight real goals being blasted on hockey twitter every other game are going to impact the voting ballot?

Reactions: Chrisinroch

chchelseII

Sep 24, 2014
Matthew DeFranks
@MDeFranks

No one has impacted offense as much as Jason Robertson has (600+ minutes) Per 60 minutes of 5v5, the Stars score 2.45 more goals with Robertson on the ice than without him 1. Robertson 2. McDavid 3. Marchand 4. Nurse 5. Stephenson 6. Barzal 7. MacKinnon 8. Draisaitl 9. Rantanen
12:09 PM · May 3, 2021
That’s why I think this is garbage. If you’re on the only line that scores, of course it’s going to appear like you’re making some great contribution when the reality is, the other lines suck and simply don’t score goals.

Reactions: space321

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Matthew DeFranks
@MDeFranks

No one has impacted offense as much as Jason Robertson has (600+ minutes) Per 60 minutes of 5v5, the Stars score 2.45 more goals with Robertson on the ice than without him 1. Robertson 2. McDavid 3. Marchand 4. Nurse 5. Stephenson 6. Barzal 7. MacKinnon 8. Draisaitl 9. Rantanen
12:09 PM · May 3, 2021
That’s why I think this is garbage. If you’re on the only line that scores, of course it’s going to appear like you’re making some great contribution when the reality is, the other lines suck and simply don’t score goals.

Uh huh.

Any Stars fan could've told you that months ago.

But why or how is any of that Robertson's fault?

He's making the most of the opportunity given to him, on a team that clearly isn't hitting on all cylinders.

Unspecified

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Apr 29, 2015
Matthew DeFranks
@MDeFranks

How dare you bring facts into this argument

Unspecified

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Apr 29, 2015
Uh huh.

Any Stars fan could've told you that months ago.

But why or how is any of that Robertson's fault?

He's making the most of the opportunity given to him, on a team that clearly isn't hitting on all cylinders.

It's not, these people will cling to whatever they can to discount his success.

space321

May 11, 2011
Wait, you didn't hear? Road generated points are going to be the deciding factor. Kaprisov Calder confirmed!!!

Hello pot, meet kettle, funny how the turntables turn. I remember lots of stars fans discounting Kaprizov's goals because they were on the powerplay..

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad