GDT: R3G2: Oilers @ Avs: *First to 1,000,000* (8pm ET)

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
Rewatching the game. At the opening face off:

Eddie O: Bendar HAS to make an adjustment

Avs win 3-0 not changing a thing on their skaters.

There's the brain tank national analysts for you.

Reactions: Phil Raitt

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018

He's horrible at hiding his disdain for the Avs. Any slight moment of promise for Edmonton and Eddie Hairczyk is all to eager to express his glee.

He tried to manufacture a star with Keith. Yes, Eddie Hairczyk has ties to Chicago and Keith was once a great player but, you're doing national games now.

Over and over again he harper on passing up an early shot. MacKinnon had over 10 shots fir the game, including a goal. Eddie probably died inside when he scored that goal.

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site

I disagree that they didn’t change a thing. They were more aggressive in the defensive zone, taking time and space away from the Edmonton players. They were also much more focused on pressuring and taking space away whenever an Oilers player was trying to gain the middle of the ice, which resulted in a lot of plays from the outside.

Bront

Jun 5, 2021
I haven't read, but it's very odd to me. I understand frustration if reffing is bad. Reffing can be bad. If I thought the reffing was bad tonight in a way that favoured Colorado, and Colorado won, I would think the reffing was bad tonight, and criticize it. Doesn't matter if my team wins, or my team is benefited (sure, I will be more bummed if my team is the one it happens to) or vise-versa, bad reffing is bad reffing.

But I don't remember when refs started committing unforced turn-overs, when refs starting poorly reading plays and getting out of position, I don't remember when refs started scoring goals. Same goes with linesmen. Did the refs play goalie, too? Ref got a shutout? Or ref called penalties whenever an Oiler released a shot, rendering them unable to compete? Refs posessed Kulak and made him throw an elbow, which was a really dumb penalty?

When Makar swiped the puck into the corner from McDavid, and didn't take a penalty, because he didn't have to, is that the refs fault, too? I reiterate, I understand finding refs frustrating. But if that is the focal point after a game where your team played like this, and the other team played against your team like this, I think that is really looking in the wrong direction, yikes. If the Oilers are playing really well and couldn't be doing much more right (I refer to Toronto vs Tampa game 7, Toronto couldn't have done much less, they played really good hockey; and I am not implying anything about the reffing in that game, fyi, just referencing a team playing a complete, solid effort), and reffing is perceived as bad, then I get it being a focal point. But I would reflect on and be concerned with my actual team and their actual play in the hockey game in the ways that are not controlled by refs (which is, hint: not the majority of the game), when my team plays poorly in a way that warrants that scrutiny.

Take responsibility for yourself, and what you can control first, dwell on the other bs after you've gotten those bases covered.

And that line should also improve at puck retrieval. Instead of an excuse, it just sounds like "Our coach has some questionable deployment questions, and some of our players are not good enough at the needed skills to compensate for their assignments."
Sir, this is a Wendy’s

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
That has absolutely nothing to do with Jared Bednar....

Well actually it does. He has his team playing simply fantastic hockey in 90% of the games this playoffs, resulting in a lot of leads and often lopsided leads. We aren't going to get many PPs up 3-0 in the 2nd period of a game. Anybody should understand this by now.
Exactly this. When you are winning you aren't going to get calls. It's not right, but that's how the NHL refs it's games.

Honestly Edmonton is lucky they only got 7 penalties last night. They got away with about 5 other really obvious calls in the 2nd when game management was in full effect. Only to call the Avs on two ticky tacky high sticks that Draisaitl sold like it was his job. They weren't nearly as obvious as the shit they let Edmonton get away with.

Then their f***ing coach has the balls to call out the refs last night after the game. Does he not f***ing realize that only 3 of those were actual calls? 4th one was too many men, self inflicted. And the final 3 we're all in the last 5 mins, when he was actively rolling his goon squad. And those guys were actively head hunting, so what f*** did he expect.

Garavar

Nov 27, 2016
I just feel more confident with Frankie back there than Kuemper. Before I was worried about any shot going towards the net, tonight I wasn't.

Is it too late to trade Keumper back to Arizona for our First Round Pick? They can keep Timmins he is good, I like him but made out of glass

Garavar

Nov 27, 2016
Just gonna drop this one here:

lgfQQ94.png

I apologize if it keeps anyone up tonight.

I think he looks more like Seth MacFarlane every time he is screaming at Refs I can only picture it in Stewie or Brian's voice.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
I think he looks more like Seth MacFarlane every time he is screaming at Refs I can only picture it in Stewie or Brian's voice.
I'm glad someone else sees it, too. Because he doesn't really look like Seth in stills, but every time I see him in play action though.

niwotsblessing

May 1, 2010
City of Holy Faith
I disagree that they didn’t change a thing. They were more aggressive in the defensive zone, taking time and space away from the Edmonton players. They were also much more focused on pressuring and taking space away whenever an Oilers player was trying to gain the middle of the ice, which resulted in a lot of plays from the outside.
Not an intentional change, but NAK in for Bura improved the 3rd line, more hitting, less floating and unforced turnovers.

The only issue with the 3rd line is that Newhook is stuck playing with 2 guys that can't support his offensive skills.

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
Agree. The Avs played a completely different game and style in Game 2 versus Game 1. Bednar adjusted the game plan totally from game 1. The Avs forechecked hard but also instituted an opportunistic transition counter attack that held through the 3rd period.

Now it's Wood-whatever's priority to adjust. It will be interesting to see if or what he comes up with for game 3. (Which will tell us whether we'll have series here. Or not.)

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I think it's more Eddie O looking at McDavid/Draisaitl being split up and thinking "oh wow the Oilers got 'em right where they want 'em now Bednar has to change things" even though after a loss it was the Oilers shuffling lines, not the Avs.

Reactions: The Moops

Polite HKYDiscussion

Jul 29, 2021
Cogliano, lehkonen, Manson. Sakic is the best GM in the league. I hope we get both helm and Cogliano back. Love playing the youngsters but these guys know how to win when it counts.
Holland’s going to re-sign his boy , Helm, 3x3 after this series.😝

Does anyone have the fancy stats for the 4th line against Mcdavid?

drhiii

Beat Navy.
Apr 25, 2014
Finally had a real opportunity to look at replay. Frankie was good, aye? Rebound control pretty decent... But when there was a rebound, . I'll just play the puck my damn self. Oops, language. Frankie is so polite I am compelled to clean up the naughty words for my new role model.

Anywayz, looked like a fun game to watch. And equally entertaining is Edmonton fan posting watch here. Leave no quarter.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $50.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: