GDT: R3G2: Oilers @ Avs: *First to 1,000,000* (8pm ET)

jabubenice

Mar 7, 2011
cayman island
looks like naz is back to his dominating season form...LOOKOUT!!

This is great, I don't think I've ever seen that shit-eating grin from Bednar before. Must be a glitch in the code.
I think he is having fun in this series, we match up so well against these f***S!!

What was this Kane penalty on makar? Anyone have a clip?
he tried to injure makar with a blatant elbow to the face the f***

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
I listen to a lot of the Canadian hockey radio shows and the amount of disrespect for Frankouz yesterday was just ridiculous. People were talking like it's David Ayres going tonight.

Going to enjoy what they have to say today.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Are u surprised we have the least number of PP of all teams remaining

That has absolutely nothing to do with Jared Bednar....

Well actually it does. He has his team playing simply fantastic hockey in 90% of the games this playoffs, resulting in a lot of leads and often lopsided leads. We aren't going to get many PPs up 3-0 in the 2nd period of a game. Anybody should understand this by now.

Turbonium

Aug 21, 2020
Spain
Kane acting like the complete tool he is was incredible to watch in person, same for Kassiaint. Both complete morons that don't know what to do when things don't go their way, Binnington would be besties with each of them.

One of the best overall team performances I've seen from the Avs maybe ever, can't say a single chance from the Oilers in the 3rd was at all worrisome.

McDavid looked very human tonight, was hard to even notice when he was on the ice honestly. I don't expect that to continue but to shut this team out took an incredible team effort.

F the Oilers, Avs in 3.

TheTechNoir

fall 2021 bull, probably
Feb 18, 2013
10-2 so far, most wins being dominating performances

And yet 60 minutes away from doom and gloom and 120 minutes away from the playoffs are over, this team sucks, they are a bunch of losers. Loll.

It think that half the oilers board has realized they are outmatched and half is complaining about us diving. Totally gloss over the fact that they were throughly dominated and our defense light-years ahead of theirs in every aspect. Frankie played solid and makar shutdown McDavid. We are blessed to have Makar locked down long term.

I mean, they were outmatched tonight. In game 1, I'd say the Oilers were even worse than Colorado, but (no, not because the score was high, I don't care if it was 90-80 or 1-0 in 10th OT) playing bad is playing bad. I know all teams do this, but: The Avs had good stretches this year, they had incredible stretches, and they had concerning stretches (IMO they were playing concerning hockey during a lot of their biggest winning streak of the year, only showing up for 1 period per game, constantly having to climb out of holes, getting lucky bounces, etc.).

Overall I have been really happy with the Avs this year, and these playoffs. I also know this is a team that has holes and weaknesses, even after improving or completely attenuating some of them with the trade deadline. They are also a team that can look really different in different games, or even periods. Tonight we saw them play with purpose, and while they continued to tighten up and look better, the Oilers seemed to get frustrated and demotivated (an away crowd can also factor into this).

I would think (I very well might may be wrong, but that sounds surprising to me) that half the oilers board, at least, would already think the Oilers were outmatched by Colorado going into the series. That doesn't mean the Oilers can't win though.

This series might be a sweep, or maybe it ends in 5. I don't know. Maybe Avs win it in 7. But it's not over. Outside of considerations of things like, say, the hypothetical of Francouz getting injured early in the next game (that is not exactly unheard of, for him to get hurt), and if Kuemper isn't ready to go, suddenly we have to roll our dice with Annunen. And what if Colorado plays like they did in Game 1? And Edmonton plays like game 1, but not as sloppy, which they are capable of? Anyway, I will bench considerations that involve injuries, suspensions, etc.

Other considerations:
I'm not a fan of Nurse. I think he has moments and stretches where he looks good. I still think his contract is horrendous, but I think he has moments. I have found him particularly bad in the Flames series, and now this series. And fair, even if he shows up at his very best for the rest of the series, that alone isn't enough. Regardless, when a player on the other team is serving as a big liability on the ice, and I know is capable of performing better, I never like to rule out the possibility of them, well, straightening out and playing a lot better.

Sure, it goes both ways. Watching Edmonton need 7 games to play The Kings, who deserve credit, but were not exactly a world beating team, and then play a very fun but very sloppy match against Calgary where I was very happy I was not a fan of either team... That did not scream sustainable winning hockey. Facing a goalie deep in his net with a swiss-cheese glove for 5 games didn't seem a sustainable expectation. McDavid who is incredible, notably exceeding the best he has ever been and performing at Gretzky or Lemieux, or even better type levels, well, that did not seem like something that is fair or risk-free to count on and rely on continuing for the rest of the playoffs. Kane, notorious for exile from every franchise he has played for, putting up insane goal numbers (while also sometimes being a liability, and lazy), and not even having a game with one goal, just a whole bunch with 0, and a chunk with multi-goals, did not seem like something I would fully rely on maintaining long-term. Kulak/Barrie, even with a bit easier of assignments being the best pairing defensively seemed concerning to me. Basically, yeah, I think the Oilers were getting the results, but they were masking (to some, anyway) how flawed this organization is in the process. I think Woodcroft might be the best thing to happen to the team since McDavid (an unscrew-up-able draft pick, perhaps the only kind of draft pick this franchise has been able to fully effectively develop)

But I do know that it is possible for those guys who have contributed so far, to have games or another series where they keep it up. I also know guys like Nurse are capable of being better than they have shown us.

I also know the Avs can look like a different team, in a bad way, for long stretches of games, and that they have flaws.

Anyway I slice it, the odds favor the Avs for me, and maybe this series is over 3 nights from now, but for now, this series is not over. There is still 6 periods at the very minimum, maybe much more, left to go. A lot can happen. And, if a few things go right for the Oilers, and the Avs make a few mistakes, which we all know VERY well they are capable of, and have routinely done this year, the Oilers have some weapons that can make the Avs pay: fast and in bunches. Who knows how the respective coaches are going to adjust, too. At the end of the day, this is 3rd rd playoff hockey, any team can win. I know, you would typically expect a series between two certain teams to be a higher degree of certainty for a given winner (but it absolutely does not always go the way you think, and the difference between 1 game and another can be really stark/night and day, good or bad), whereas there are some series like Tampa vs Toronto where many people felt torn, or picked either side, or wouldn't have been surprised in the slightest regardless of who won, etc.

But yeah, sorry for too much rambling. What has changed so far is, the Oilers are where the Avs were last week. 4 wins away from the finals. And the Avs have the... luxury, if you call it that, of being able to lose 3 games, whereas the Oilers can only lose 1. Team for team, it doesn't matter how this series were to have gone, sweep for edmonton, sweep for avs, or anything inbetween, I believe Colorado is the better team. But Edmonton can outmatch the Avs on a game-by-game basis, and even a series basis. A not very convincing home win followed up by a convincing home win doesn't decide a series.

TheTechNoir

fall 2021 bull, probably
Feb 18, 2013
Boy oh boy those Oiler fans on their board are so mad at the referees lol. Oilers fans either can't take a loss when it happens to them. Nevermind they were out skated, out worked, out skilled, out battled, etc. Nope. It was ALL the referees tonight, ladies and gents.

:laugh:

I haven't read, but it's very odd to me. I understand frustration if reffing is bad. Reffing can be bad. If I thought the reffing was bad tonight in a way that favoured Colorado, and Colorado won, I would think the reffing was bad tonight, and criticize it. Doesn't matter if my team wins, or my team is benefited (sure, I will be more bummed if my team is the one it happens to) or vise-versa, bad reffing is bad reffing.

But I don't remember when refs started committing unforced turn-overs, when refs starting poorly reading plays and getting out of position, I don't remember when refs started scoring goals. Same goes with linesmen. Did the refs play goalie, too? Ref got a shutout? Or ref called penalties whenever an Oiler released a shot, rendering them unable to compete? Refs posessed Kulak and made him throw an elbow, which was a really dumb penalty?

When Makar swiped the puck into the corner from McDavid, and didn't take a penalty, because he didn't have to, is that the refs fault, too? I reiterate, I understand finding refs frustrating. But if that is the focal point after a game where your team played like this, and the other team played against your team like this, I think that is really looking in the wrong direction, yikes. If the Oilers are playing really well and couldn't be doing much more right (I refer to Toronto vs Tampa game 7, Toronto couldn't have done much less, they played really good hockey; and I am not implying anything about the reffing in that game, fyi, just referencing a team playing a complete, solid effort), and reffing is perceived as bad, then I get it being a focal point. But I would reflect on and be concerned with my actual team and their actual play in the hockey game in the ways that are not controlled by refs (which is, hint: not the majority of the game), when my team plays poorly in a way that warrants that scrutiny.

Take responsibility for yourself, and what you can control first, dwell on the other bs after you've gotten those bases covered.

Well, he shouldn't be taking faceoffs then.

And that line should also improve at puck retrieval. Instead of an excuse, it just sounds like "Our coach has some questionable deployment questions, and some of our players are not good enough at the needed skills to compensate for their assignments."

• Wow
Reactions: wayninja

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Five of those penalties were: Too many men, elbow to the face, elbow to the face, jump/tackle/cross check, cross check/punch to back of the head.

And there were about 10 other high sticks and punches to the face that went uncalled.

The faceoff after the Avs made it 3-0 Draisaitl high sticked Kadri off the draw. Then they kicked Kadri out (because of course). Then Draisaitl immediately high sticked Mikko off the draw.

Refs must have seen both but because of game management they didn't want to give the Avs a power play.

The Merchant

Sponsor
Aug 2, 2011
El Pueblo
For as much as Wayne pumped Kane's tires, I would have liked to hear him hold him accountable for that stupid selfish elbowing penalty on Makar while his team was trying to come back in the third.
Wayne is too far up the ass of Edmonton, which makes sense for obvious reasons. Apparently to the extent that he even refused to take pictures with Avs fans, which is beyond douchey, but whatever.

Reactions: Spleenless Wonder21

SaltySkywalker

Bushes of Love
Jul 15, 2016
Tatooine
And yet 60 minutes away from doom and gloom and 120 minutes away from the playoffs are over, this team sucks, they are a bunch of losers. Loll.

I mean, they were outmatched tonight. In game 1, I'd say the Oilers were even worse than Colorado, but (no, not because the score was high, I don't care if it was 90-80 or 1-0 in 10th OT) playing bad is playing bad. I know all teams do this, but: The Avs had good stretches this year, they had incredible stretches, and they had concerning stretches (IMO they were playing concerning hockey during a lot of their biggest winning streak of the year, only showing up for 1 period per game, constantly having to climb out of holes, getting lucky bounces, etc.).

Overall I have been really happy with the Avs this year, and these playoffs. I also know this is a team that has holes and weaknesses, even after improving or completely attenuating some of them with the trade deadline. They are also a team that can look really different in different games, or even periods. Tonight we saw them play with purpose, and while they continued to tighten up and look better, the Oilers seemed to get frustrated and demotivated (an away crowd can also factor into this).

I would think (I very well might may be wrong, but that sounds surprising to me) that half the oilers board, at least, would already think the Oilers were outmatched by Colorado going into the series. That doesn't mean the Oilers can't win though.

This series might be a sweep, or maybe it ends in 5. I don't know. Maybe Avs win it in 7. But it's not over. Outside of considerations of things like, say, the hypothetical of Francouz getting injured early in the next game (that is not exactly unheard of, for him to get hurt), and if Kuemper isn't ready to go, suddenly we have to roll our dice with Annunen. And what if Colorado plays like they did in Game 1? And Edmonton plays like game 1, but not as sloppy, which they are capable of? Anyway, I will bench considerations that involve injuries, suspensions, etc.

Other considerations:
I'm not a fan of Nurse. I think he has moments and stretches where he looks good. I still think his contract is horrendous, but I think he has moments. I have found him particularly bad in the Flames series, and now this series. And fair, even if he shows up at his very best for the rest of the series, that alone isn't enough. Regardless, when a player on the other team is serving as a big liability on the ice, and I know is capable of performing better, I never like to rule out the possibility of them, well, straightening out and playing a lot better.

Sure, it goes both ways. Watching Edmonton need 7 games to play The Kings, who deserve credit, but were not exactly a world beating team, and then play a very fun but very sloppy match against Calgary where I was very happy I was not a fan of either team... That did not scream sustainable winning hockey. Facing a goalie deep in his net with a swiss-cheese glove for 5 games didn't seem a sustainable expectation. McDavid who is incredible, notably exceeding the best he has ever been and performing at Gretzky or Lemieux, or even better type levels, well, that did not seem like something that is fair or risk-free to count on and rely on continuing for the rest of the playoffs. Kane, notorious for exile from every franchise he has played for, putting up insane goal numbers (while also sometimes being a liability, and lazy), and not even having a game with one goal, just a whole bunch with 0, and a chunk with multi-goals, did not seem like something I would fully rely on maintaining long-term. Kulak/Barrie, even with a bit easier of assignments being the best pairing defensively seemed concerning to me. Basically, yeah, I think the Oilers were getting the results, but they were masking (to some, anyway) how flawed this organization is in the process. I think Woodcroft might be the best thing to happen to the team since McDavid (an unscrew-up-able draft pick, perhaps the only kind of draft pick this franchise has been able to fully effectively develop)

But I do know that it is possible for those guys who have contributed so far, to have games or another series where they keep it up. I also know guys like Nurse are capable of being better than they have shown us.

I also know the Avs can look like a different team, in a bad way, for long stretches of games, and that they have flaws.

Anyway I slice it, the odds favor the Avs for me, and maybe this series is over 3 nights from now, but for now, this series is not over. There is still 6 periods at the very minimum, maybe much more, left to go. A lot can happen. And, if a few things go right for the Oilers, and the Avs make a few mistakes, which we all know VERY well they are capable of, and have routinely done this year, the Oilers have some weapons that can make the Avs pay: fast and in bunches. Who knows how the respective coaches are going to adjust, too. At the end of the day, this is 3rd rd playoff hockey, any team can win. I know, you would typically expect a series between two certain teams to be a higher degree of certainty for a given winner (but it absolutely does not always go the way you think, and the difference between 1 game and another can be really stark/night and day, good or bad), whereas there are some series like Tampa vs Toronto where many people felt torn, or picked either side, or wouldn't have been surprised in the slightest regardless of who won, etc.

But yeah, sorry for too much rambling. What has changed so far is, the Oilers are where the Avs were last week. 4 wins away from the finals. And the Avs have the... luxury, if you call it that, of being able to lose 3 games, whereas the Oilers can only lose 1. Team for team, it doesn't matter how this series were to have gone, sweep for edmonton, sweep for avs, or anything inbetween, I believe Colorado is the better team. But Edmonton can outmatch the Avs on a game-by-game basis, and even a series basis. A not very convincing home win followed up by a convincing home win doesn't decide a series.

This is a GDT, sir. Let’s keep the word count down to a minimum pleaze

Alienblood

Nov 22, 2021
I listen to a lot of the Canadian hockey radio shows and the amount of disrespect for Frankouz yesterday was just ridiculous. People were talking like it's David Ayres going tonight.

Going to enjoy what they have to say today.

As a Canadian why do you even listen to those lol

Reactions: Vk1ing

TheTechNoir

fall 2021 bull, probably
Feb 18, 2013

Okay, I can't, so I will stop posting.

Okay, I can't, so I will stop posting. It would be a real shame if I hurt anyone's scroll finger as they scroll through 89 pages, by adding several extra average posts' equivalent scroll length to one of the pages. Or worse overwhelm someone with the decision of reading too many words to read in one closed thought, or skip it.

• Wow
Reactions: wayninja

Tommy Shelby

Feb 26, 2012
Frankie acknowledging the crowd after they chanted his name was such a nice thing to see.

Now let's keep that hot streak going into the finals and beyond, Pavel! The man was swallowing pucks all night and playing aggressive, you love to see it.

Man that 4th line is just so good, the last time we had a 4th line that effective, the smartphone I'm typing this on didn't exist. T9, baby.

I feel like everyone pulled their weight and played well, except whenever JJ decided to go on one of his adventures and have our buttcheeks collectively clench.

They didn't turtle this time either which is a good sign, this is the type of play they're going to need if we want any chance at de-throning the Cap Circumvention Kings in the finals. Keep it up boys!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad