Draft R2 #63: Rangers select LW Adam Sýkora (HK Nitra, Slovakia)

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Most likely the case.

MH's had the top pick in the last WHL draft and took a kid who is 14 (won't be 15 until late December!) Can a 14 year old even play in the CHL? Have to imagine Sykora will be playing with him.
I think so? Didn't the same exact thing happen for Connor Bedard and Mat Savoie?

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
I don't believe that he'd be eligible to play in Hartford until next season (@Amazing Kreiderman this one is for you). If anything, he'd go to the WHL and play for Medicine Hat.
Since Sykora wasn't drafted out of the CHL, he isn't subject to the CHL/NHL rule.

The minimum age for the AHL is 18, as of Sep 15th. Sykora turns 18 on Sep 7th. So yes, he could play in the AHL this year, the same way Chytil played in the AHL in his D+1 year.

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
Since Sykora wasn't drafted out of the CHL, he isn't subject to the CHL/NHL rule.

The minimum age for the AHL is 18, as of Sep 15th. Sykora turns 18 on Sep 7th. So yes, he could play in the AHL this year, the same way Chytil played in the AHL in his D+1 year.
Transfer agreement. He can’t play in the AHL during his first ELC year, but he would be eligible next year if they go that route.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Transfer agreement. He can’t play in the AHL during his first ELC year, but he would be eligible next year if they go that route.
He's still under contract, but if they released him from his contract, couldn't he then play in the AHL? If he isn't released, then he'll play in Slovakia anyway.

Antiillafire

May 1, 2021
Trnava, Slovakia
He's still under contract, but if they released him from his contract, couldn't he then play in the AHL? If he isn't released, then he'll play in Slovakia anyway.
Yes he can play in the AHL this year if Nitra agrees to terminate his contract, which they would 99% do if he asked.

The WHL is also an option but Medicine Hat is terrible and got shelled pretty much every game last season. He would get lots of ice time for their team but also would be playing with some pretty weak teammates.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
I thought there’s a rule about non-1st rounders not eligible to play in the AHL in their D+1 year. Not sure if contract release is a factor to the contrary. Still he’s still very young and unlike Chytil who was almost exactly the same age when he joined Hartford with his smallish frame it wouldn’t be ideal to deal with big and relatively fast grown ass men of the AHL.

Antiillafire

May 1, 2021
Trnava, Slovakia
I thought there’s a rule about non-1st rounders not eligible to play in the AHL in their D+1 year. Not sure if contract release is a factor to the contrary. Still he’s still very young and unlike Chytil who was almost exactly the same age when he joined Hartford with his smallish frame it wouldn’t be ideal to deal with big and relatively fast grown ass men of the AHL.
He held up just fine at the WC, although that was just 6 games he played. He got battered around by Canada but held his ground and made plays whenever he was on the ice.

Nitra will need to release him to play for Hartford. In terms of best options, I think a major role on Nitra is the best, second best would be Hartford and last Medicine Hat. Medicine Hat traded their 1 good player last year and have ZERO players on their roster that were even 0.5 PPG in the WHL for an extended amount of games. Don’t want another Olausson situation.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mac n Gs

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011

Reactions: lilphildub

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Thanks AK

I know people are talking about "But HK Nitra can just release him" which I don't really care about. Releasing a player basically bypasses every rule in the book. Releasing an RFA makes him UFA for instance. Technically, Sýkora could also retire from hockey next week :laugh:

In the letter of the law, so to speak, Adam Sýkora has 2 options:

A. He plays for the Rangers in the NHL
B. He plays for HK Nitra in Tipos

Additionally, there are 3 more options which require either a release or transfer involving HK Nitra's signature:

C. He plays for Medicine Hat Tigers in the WHL (Release)
D. He plays for the Hartford Wolf Pack in the AHL (Release)
E. He plays elsewhere in Europe (Transfer)

But Option B seems the most obvious as that's one where no additional signatures are needed and he isn't NHL ready.

Tiger Trauma

Sep 5, 2006
Medicine Hat
old.reddit.com
Most likely the case.

MH's had the top pick in the last WHL draft and took a kid who is 14 (won't be 15 until late December!) Can a 14 year old even play in the CHL? Have to imagine Sykora will be playing with him.
That kid Gavin McKenna will be in his 15 year old season next year, and only eligible to play in 5+ whl games. He may play a few more if the Tigers call him up for emergency purposes if a few guys get injured.

Just a note for people knocking on the CHL Medicine Hat Tigers, saying it would be a terrible place to play....

Willie Desjardins is a former NHL Coach and was also the guy that plucked out Derek Dorsett from Junior A and helped develop him into an NHL player. From what I understand Sykora has a similar work ethic to Dorsett. Desjardins is known for coaching small speedy forwards for offensive ability. He is exactly the type of system you want to put him in to develop his offensive game. I'd think the rangers would want to put him there to help develop the offense.

It will be interesting though because I understand HK Nitra will need to release him to North America to come to the CHL. No clue on if they do that openly on a players wishes.

Reactions: Synergy27

tobu

Jan 10, 2013
Bratislava, Slovakia
Yes he can play in the AHL this year if Nitra agrees to terminate his contract, which they would 99% do if he asked.

The WHL is also an option but Medicine Hat is terrible and got shelled pretty much every game last season. He would get lots of ice time for their team but also would be playing with some pretty weak teammates.
I am not sore sure Nitra would release him. As it stands today, as a Slovak and fan of Nitra, I think they will want to try to keep him and give him top 6 role this season. Nitra has been very happy with a top 6 role for 2nd draft pick Nemec last season and Sykora himself said he'd prefer to stay in Nitra if that was the option.

Antiillafire

May 1, 2021
Trnava, Slovakia
I am not sore sure Nitra would release him. As it stands today, as a Slovak and fan of Nitra, I think they will want to try to keep him and give him top 6 role this season. Nitra has been very happy with a top 6 role for 2nd draft pick Nemec last season and Sykora himself said he'd prefer to stay in Nitra if that was the option.
I am sure they would if Sykora asked, they aren’t going to hold his contract hostage. They signed guys who are likely to see top 9 roles this past summer. Anyway I too agree that Nitra is the best place to play for him this season. I am just saying I don’t think they will refuse to release him if he asks to play in NA.

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
I’d leave him where he is for another year and hopefully he takes a larger role on the team. After that, decide on a stronger European league or Hartford. No reason to rush this kid. Second round pick. Going to need ELC’s in the future. I don’t need to see him barely treading water in the NHL 1-2 years from now. I’d rather see him ready to play in 3-4 years. There are guys who should be ready to get a shot ahead of him.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I’d leave him where he is for another year and hopefully he takes a larger role on the team. After that, decide on a stronger European league or Hartford. No reason to rush this kid. Second round pick. Going to need ELC’s in the future. I don’t need to see him barely treading water in the NHL 1-2 years from now. I’d rather see him ready to play in 3-4 years. There are guys who should be ready to get a shot ahead of him.

Artturi Lehkonen's path to the NHL is interesting.

Drafted 55th overall
D+1: Liiga
D+2: SHL
D+3: SHL
D+4: NHL

Sýkora could have gone through the same but now with him signed we just know they're going to dump him in the prospect graveyard known as Hartford the moment he's eligible (which is his D+2)

Reactions: Barnaby

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
Artturi Lehkonen's path to the NHL is interesting.

Drafted 55th overall
D+1: Liiga
D+2: SHL
D+3: SHL
D+4: NHL

Sýkora could have gone through the same but now with him signed we just know they're going to dump him in the prospect graveyard known as Hartford the moment he's eligible (which is his D+2)
That’s a solid trajectory.

Part of me wishes the Rangers would stop drafting European kids. Nothing against the kids, but the Ranger brass has seemed to do an awful job making decisions in their development. Chytil was rushed. Kakko was rushed. The Lias situation. The Kravstov situation. Lundkvist is the one they seem to have done well with and unfortunately he’s the one who may not have a spot. They seem to be much more patient when it comes to NCAA kids.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
this is conflated language around 2 different things. the skating as a weakness bit is about his top straight line speed over distance, which isnt slow, just isn't super fast. hockey is a game of 10 foot races though, and hes as quick as anyone off the hop/using stops / starts to lose defenders/close on pucks. its really hard to teach that kind of quickness....it can be improved, but only marginally by this level. the distance speed can be improved and is much less of a factor as long as you arent a complete sloth. i dont see that as much of an issue for him, but your stride when you open it up can be worked on and cleaned up to a point you can make a lot of improvement. its a far easier thing to do than to become more explosive in small areas / from a stop. its also something that generally just improves as these kids develop and add muscle too. in sykoras case hes one of the youngest kids in the draft and wont be 18 until september as well.
This is a good point. And also I personally don’t care so much about speed in its purest sense. A slow guy will get to a spot faster if he is going sooner. It’s more about knowing where to go for me.
Either way, the speed issue is pretty complicated. I want a guy who thinks fast over a guy that skates fast.

That’s a solid trajectory.

Part of me wishes the Rangers would stop drafting European kids. Nothing against the kids, but the Ranger brass has seemed to do an awful job making decisions in their development. Chytil was rushed. Kakko was rushed. The Lias situation. The Kravstov situation. Lundkvist is the one they seem to have done well with and unfortunately he’s the one who may not have a spot. They seem to be much more patient when it comes to NCAA kids.
Yep. Broadly agree. In certain cases I think a guy can come right over and be fine. But as you point out, Lias, Kakko, Kravtsov were not those guys. The Rangers need to take this question much more seriously and sympathetically.

Reactions: Barnaby

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
So Gajdošík says he thinks he should continue playing against men, either in Slovakia or another European league. And not that it's even an option but he says he doesn't think 18 year old players should go to the AHL.

Interesting that he says the Rangers also would have liked to take Mešár but there was no way to move up and get him. Always interesting hearing interviews with the scouts; they don't necessarily speak on behalf of the organization, but there are neat insights there.

Reactions: Amazing Kreiderman

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
So Gajdošík says he thinks he should continue playing against men, either in Slovakia or another European league. And not that it's even an option but he says he doesn't think 18 year old players should go to the AHL.

Interesting that he says the Rangers also would have liked to take Mešár but there was no way to move up and get him. Always interesting hearing interviews with the scouts; they don't necessarily speak on behalf of the organization, but there are neat insights there.

Those topics definitely cross the table either at the draft or in pre-draft meetings. What Gajdošík says is at the very least a decent indicator of what the org wants.

I do believe, based on some conversations I've had, that the Henriksson-situation impacted Drury's decision to sign Sýkora now, being reminded of the limintations of non-1st round picks from Europe. That doesn't mean he's guaranteed to play in the AHL next year, but it at least gives them the possibilty if they so wish.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad