Draft R2 #63: Rangers select LW Adam Sýkora (HK Nitra, Slovakia)

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
I think he brings more to the table than Hagelin with one major exception. Hagelin is one of the fastest skaters in the NHL whereas scouting reports show skating speed as Sykora's weakness. Sykora is yound and hopefully his speed improves, but that could be a concern for the type of player he is.

Whereas SOME scouting reports show skating speed as Sykora's weakness. And others have it as a strength. Sources that i actually trust, like Redline Report, EliteProspects, LastWord and HockeyProspect.com.

EDIT:
"Kalakeche, like Cam Robinson of EliteProspects, suggests that Sykora could be a late first round pick. Kalakeche is the first I’ve seen other than his fellow Dobber writer High to say Sykora lacks pace. He did have plenty of good things to say about Sykora, and considers him a safe pick to make the NHL."

Exactly 2 people that i've seen are saying he lacks pace. And both of them come from the same scouting service.

2014nyr

Jun 14, 2014
Whereas SOME scouting reports show skating speed as Sykora's weakness. And others have it as a strength. Sources that i actually trust, like Redline Report, EliteProspects, LastWord and HockeyProspect.com.

EDIT:
"Kalakeche, like Cam Robinson of EliteProspects, suggests that Sykora could be a late first round pick. Kalakeche is the first I’ve seen other than his fellow Dobber writer High to say Sykora lacks pace. He did have plenty of good things to say about Sykora, and considers him a safe pick to make the NHL."

Exactly 2 people that i've seen are saying he lacks pace. And both of them come from the same scouting service.

this is conflated language around 2 different things. the skating as a weakness bit is about his top straight line speed over distance, which isnt slow, just isn't super fast. hockey is a game of 10 foot races though, and hes as quick as anyone off the hop/using stops / starts to lose defenders/close on pucks. its really hard to teach that kind of quickness....it can be improved, but only marginally by this level. the distance speed can be improved and is much less of a factor as long as you arent a complete sloth. i dont see that as much of an issue for him, but your stride when you open it up can be worked on and cleaned up to a point you can make a lot of improvement. its a far easier thing to do than to become more explosive in small areas / from a stop. its also something that generally just improves as these kids develop and add muscle too. in sykoras case hes one of the youngest kids in the draft and wont be 18 until september as well.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
I'm REALLY excited to see him play next month at the WJCs. He's been playing against men for a bit and I feel like he has the potential to really open a few eyes in this tournament. I think he is going to come across as a huge huge pest and entertain us.

Plus it will be the first time we all get to watch him for ourselves. Between him and Berard, they could be fun sparkplugs to watch.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I'm REALLY excited to see him play next month at the WJCs. He's been playing against men for a bit and I feel like he has the potential to really open a few eyes in this tournament. I think he is going to come across as a huge huge pest and entertain us.

Plus it will be the first time we all get to watch him for ourselves. Between him and Berard, they could be fun sparkplugs to watch.

Cuylle for Canada
Berard for USA
Sýkora for Slovakia

WJC will be fun for sure. I'm hoping Othmann and Chmelař make it too

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Cuylle for Canada
Berard for USA
Sýkora for Slovakia

WJC will be fun for sure. I'm hoping Othmann and Chmelař make it too
Is Garand starting for Canada?
I can't believe Othmann won't make it.
When do they finalize the rosters?

Antiillafire

May 1, 2021
Trnava, Slovakia

Before the draft I imagined a bottom 6 role for Syky but now with Slaf not going, and Mesar being a maybe, its probably opened up a top 6 role for him. Also first line Pk

Antiillafire

May 1, 2021
Trnava, Slovakia
I wouldn’t be totally surprised if Nitra releases him and he’s in Hartford for this season. Nitra just signed a few top 6 guys, and have young 2005s to give ice time

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
I wouldn’t be totally surprised if Nitra releases him and he’s in Hartford for this season. Nitra just signed a few top 6 guys, and have young 2005s to give ice time
I don't believe that he'd be eligible to play in Hartford until next season (@Amazing Kreiderman this one is for you). If anything, he'd go to the WHL and play for Medicine Hat.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I don't believe that he'd be eligible to play in Hartford until next season (@Amazing Kreiderman this one is for you). If anything, he'd go to the WHL and play for Medicine Hat.

Most likely the case.

MH's had the top pick in the last WHL draft and took a kid who is 14 (won't be 15 until late December!) Can a 14 year old even play in the CHL? Have to imagine Sykora will be playing with him.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $1,214.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Sweden vs Germany
    Sweden vs Germany
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $325.00