Draft R2 #63: Rangers select LW Adam Sýkora (HK Nitra, Slovakia)

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland

Ranked #38 by ELITEPROSPECTS.COM
Ranked #72 by FCHOCKEY
Ranked #63 by TSN/BOB McKENZIE
Ranked #48 by MCKEEN'S HOCKEY
Ranked #48 by TSN/CRAIG BUTTON
Ranked #42 by NHL CENTRAL SCOUTING (EU Skaters)
Ranked #58 by RECRUIT SCOUTING
Ranked #38 by DOBBERPROSPECTS
Ranked #68 by DRAFT PROSPECTS HOCKEY
Ranked #40 by SMAHT SCOUTING
Ranked #59 by THE PUCK AUTHORITY

Few players match Sýkora’s intensity on the ice. He’s all-in, every shift. He bounces from opponent to opponent, barely giving them any time to handle the puck, blocks shots like he’s immune to pain, and attacks loose pucks like the fate of the world depends on his ability to catch them. On the backcheck, he pursues escaping opponents and completely neutralizes them. -EliteProspects 2022 NHL Draft Guide

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
I like it

the type of player you want but can't pay much because of the cap.

Projection and Comparison​

Sykora’s work ethic and defensive skills make him a very projectable prospect. He is a relatively safe pick and there is a very good chance he will make the NHL. The question is if he can improve his offensive game. Sykora’s dogged forechecking and good positioning will be useful attributes as a complementary player. However, his overall skill level is a bit limited. He will need to either improve his goal-scoring or his playmaking instincts to become a top-six forward at the next level. He should continue to play in Europe, working on improving those instincts for the next couple of years. One of the younger players in this draft class, there is hope that he could be a late bloomer. Sykora’s style is comparable to Artturi Lehkonen. This is a stylistic comparison only though and not one based on skill and ability.
2022 NHL Draft: Adam Sykora Scouting Report

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
Solid pick at this slot.

Love the description of him on EliteProspects:

Few players match Sýkora’s intensity on the ice. He’s all-in, every shift. He bounces from opponent to opponent, barely giving them any time to handle the puck, blocks shots like he’s immune to pain, and attacks loose pucks like the fate of the world depends on his ability to catch them. On the backcheck, he pursues escaping opponents and completely neutralizes them. -EliteProspects 2022 NHL Draft Guide

Plays with pace, is tenacious and is a prick to play against? Sounds perfect.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com

Scott Wheeler of The Athletic​

67. Adam Sykora — LW, HK Nitra, 5-foot-10

Sykora turned Slovakia’s big three into a big four for the 2022 class with his play this season, grabbing some of Nemec’s light when scouts would watch Nitra and scoring an impressive 12 goals and 22 points in 65 regular-season and playoff games at Slovakia’s top pro level before making his men’s team debut at worlds (where he didn’t look out of place and scored another couple of goals). His year is particularly impressive because Nitra was one of the league’s best teams and he’s just days away from 2023 eligibility.

Sykora plays determined with a knack for getting to loose pucks and making the most of his opportunities. I’ve seen him cut into a couple of his own looks on one shift, and work to play catch-up off the puck to get to a hole in coverage or pounce on a rebound on the next. Despite being smallish (he’s actually well-built and strong for his size) and not particularly physical, his sticktoitiveness and overall skill level allowed him to play as a complementary winger against men this season. I suspect his small-area game will fit in even better on North American ice, too, so I’d love to see a CHL team take him in the import draft and an NHL club encourage him down that path (even if it feels to him like a step back from the pro game).

Corey Pronman did a two round mock draft for The Athletic

Second Round​

1. Montreal: Tristan Luneau, RHD, Gatineau (QMJHL)
  2. Arizona: Matyas Sapovaliv, C, Saginaw (OHL)
  3. Seattle: Jagger Firkus, RW, Moose Jaw (WHL)
  4. Arizona: Filip Mesar, RW, Poprad (SLOVAKIA)
  5. New Jersey: Julian Lutz, LW, Munchen (GERMANY)
  6. Chicago: Elias Salomonsson, RHD, Skelleftea Jr. (SWEDEN-JR.)
  7. Ottawa: Maveric Lamoureux, RHD, Drummondville (QMJHL)
  8. Detroit: Ryan Greene, C, Green Bay (USHL)
  9. Buffalo: Adam Sykora, LW, Nitra (SLOVAKIA)
  10. Anaheim: Cameron Lund, C, Green Bay (USHL)
  11. Arizona: Michael Fisher, RHD, St. Mark’S School (HIGH-MA)
  12. Columbus: Tomas Hamara, LHD, Tappara Jr. (FINLAND-JR.)
  13. Arizona: Jani Nyman, RW, Koovee (FINLAND-2)
  14. Washington: Rieger Lorenz, LW, Okotoks (AJHL)
  15. Minnesota: Owen Beck, C, Mississauga (OHL)
  16. Vegas: Alexander Perevalov, LW, Yaroslavl 2 (RUSSIA-JR.)
  17. Seattle: Danil Zhilkin, C, Guelph (OHL)
  18. Dallas: Topi Ronni, C, Tappara Jr. (FINLAND-JR.)
  19. Los Angeles: Mattias Havelid, RHD, Linkoping Jr. (SWEDEN-JR.)
  20. Detroit: Noah Warren, RHD, Gatineau (QMJHL)
  21. Anaheim: Bryce Mcconnell-Barker, C, Sault Ste. Marie (OHL)
  22. Boston: Calle Odelius, LHD, Djurgarden Jr. (SWEDEN-JR.)
  23. Winnipeg: Elias Pettersson, LHD, Orebro Jr. (SWEDEN-JR.)
  24. Minnesota: Viktor Neuchev, LW, Yekaterinburg 2 (RUSSIA-JR.)
  25. Chicago: Seamus Casey, RHD, USA U-18 (NTDP)
  26. Seattle: Topias Leinonen, G, Jyp Jr. (FINLAND-JR.)
  27. Calgary: Christian Kyrou, RHD, Erie (OHL)
  28. Carolina: Lane Hutson, LHD, USA U-18 (NTDP)
  29. Seattle: Jordan Gustafson, C, Seattle (WHL)
  30. Montreal: David Goyette, C, Sudbury (OHL)
  31. New York Rangers: Jack Hughes, C, Northeastern (H-EAST)
  32. Ottawa: Devin Kaplan, RW, USA U-18 (NTDP)
  33. New York Islanders: Kasper Kulonummi, RHD, Jokerit Jr. (FINLAND-JR.)
Pronman ranking

63. Adam Sykora, LW, Nitra (SLOVAKIA)

Sep. 7, 2004 | 5′ 10.25″ | 172 pounds | Shoots left

Tier: Projected to play NHL games

Skating: NHL average
Puck skills: NHL average
Hockey sense: NHL average
Compete: Above NHL average

Background:
Sykora played well versus men and in international play this season. He got a regular shift on a top club team in Slovakia’s pro league. He also represented Slovakia at the U18, U20 and senior team levels.

Analysis: Sykora has good puck skills, vision, a high compete level and has shown at an early age he can be a versatile player versus pros. Sykora is 5-foot-10 though, and while he has decent skating ability and some offense, the question is whether that tool kit has enough to it for him to be a full-time NHL player. He is one of the youngest players in the draft class, so there is room for projection and I could see him getting some games.

The Rangers like the players who compete hard.

Last edited:

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
REDLINE; Adam Sykora - Nitra LW 5'10 172Lbs

Terrific skater is a major pest on the forecheck. Worked his way
up to a 2nd line role in Slovakia’s top pro league (and a spot on their
World Championship squad), and his 10 goals and 17 points were
impressive for a 17 year-old. Undersized right now, but is a feisty
little bastard who plays with energy and great pace. He’s a disruptive
presence with excellent speed, and a very strong forechecker who
hounds defencemen and causes giveaways. Gets in quickly and is
adept at stealing passes. Has an excellent work ethic and is already
considered a top-notch defensive forward. Opportunistic scorer is capable
of some flashy plays around the offensive zone. Has a knack for
showing up in the right spot at the right time. Keeps his feet moving
in traffic and is tough to contain. One of the youngest players in this
draft class is a big-time late riser.

Projection : Small, Hard Working skilled 2 way winger
Style Compares to : Andrew Mangiapane

FireGerardGallant

The Artist Formerly known as FireDavidQuinn
Mar 19, 2016
Seems like another berard from everything I am reading about him. Interested to see how he progresses

Reactions: cwede

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
This year’s NHL Draft features what is probably the strongest group of draft prospects ever produced by Slovakia. The Slovakian team had an excellent performance at the Hlinka-Gretzky Cup, winning a silver medal. Winger Adam Sykora played a big role in the performance, scoring two goals in the five-game tournament. He also made the Slovakian side for the World Junior Championships, but the tournament was cut short due to a Covid outbreak. Sykora also played with the Slovakian Team at the D1A Under-18 World Championships, helping the team win the tournament and advance to the top group next year. Sykora finished his national team commitments by playing for the Slovakian Men’s Team at the World Championships. He scored two goals and three points in six games.

FireGerardGallant

The Artist Formerly known as FireDavidQuinn
Mar 19, 2016
He was also drafted first overall in the CHL import draft. Wonder if thats a route he considers taking

Reactions: cwede

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Adam Sykora, talking about his favourite player, Brad Marchant (full interview in Slovak: https://sportnet.sme.sk/spravy/hoke...y-4-diel-adam-sykora-rozhovor-nhl-draft-2022/ my own translation):

Your favourite player is Brad Marchand. Do you try to imitate him on the ice?
Yes, especially in my age category, I try to take advantage of it. These boys are the same age as me, so definitely against them, but I can pick on older ones too.
Marchand is known for controversial behaviour. Do you imitate that too?
That's exactly what I like about him. He is of smaller stature, but is not afraid do jump any other player, I like that he is so fearless and commits fully to every battle.
Can we expect from you in the future that you will lick an opponent or spear a goalie, or something similar?
Yes, it might occur.

:laugh:

Funny how his favorite player is #63, Marchand, and he was picked #63.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad