GDT: R1G1 - Predators @ Avalanche - Kicking Off the Real Season - 7:30 PM

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Actually was able to watch the majority of this game. Obviously very nice win, kinda sucks that it HAD to be Duchene to score (the first goal, I believe the refs missed an obvious slash that took Sturm's stick out of his hands, and Nashville had a chance to get set up while he was retrieving it); second one...not sure, was he cherrypicking?

Anyways, I will say that it's especially shitty that the Nashville players were so openly targeting Kadri, trying to goad him into some sort of retaliatory response. I'm glad he kept his head cool last night, but he has to keep it up for the duration of the series, since apparently the officials won't step in and have that shit cut out.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Actually was able to watch the majority of this game. Obviously very nice win, kinda sucks that it HAD to be Duchene to score (the first goal, I believe the refs missed an obvious slash that took Sturm's stick out of his hands, and Nashville had a chance to get set up while he was retrieving it); second one...not sure, was he cherrypicking?

Anyways, I will say that it's especially shitty that the Nashville players were so openly targeting Kadri, trying to goad him into some sort of retaliatory response. I'm glad he kept his head cool last night, but he has to keep it up for the duration of the series, since apparently the officials won't step in and have that shit cut out.
Actually thought it was funny that Duchene scored considering that his goals meant nothing.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver

As for the first Duchene goal, super lucky. Weak as shit cross check after they injured two players with cross checks with no calls the refs have the audacity to call Byram for a light shove. Then proceed to follow it up by not calling an obvious slash. So I take that one as a pity goal the refs gifted them. I could give 2 shits about him scoring twice in a 7-2 loss. Classic Duchene, meaningless stats. I mean could he cherry pick harder in a 7-1 game on his 2nd goal? Played no defense, hovered around center looking for a breakaway, got lucky that we turned it over. Classic care about my stats, more than trying to play the right way.

As for Kadri, it's going to be a long playoffs every single game that's going to be the standard. Try goad him into something stupid every player knows that if Kadri as much as looks at them the wrong way he'll be kicked from the playoffs. And that will be the other teams goal.

Reactions: Reparlana

bromando

Jun 4, 2013
As i said for the last 2 weeks..... I really hope some of our nervous cinderellas in here (meant to be funny guys, so don´t take it too serious ;)) are calmed down again.
Eh, I remember the all to arrogant response some people on this board had to blowing out Vegas game 1 last year while we were rolling. It is one game at a time in the playoffs. Plus, I'd rather be a nervous cinderella for games...makes them all the more interesting to watch.

I'll say I am impressed at how we came out of the gates. The second game will be really interesting to see how both teams respond. I think we learned our lesson from the Vegas series but Nashville has some dangerous players and some goons who can get us out of our element. Gotta keep the focus we've lost in past playoffs.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
As for the first Duchene goal, super lucky. Weak as shit cross check after they injured two players with cross checks with no calls the refs have the audacity to call Byram for a light shove. Then proceed to follow it up by not calling an obvious slash. So I take that one as a pity goal the refs gifted them. I could give 2 shits about him scoring twice in a 7-2 loss. Classic Duchene, meaningless stats. I mean could he cherry pick harder in a 7-1 game on his 2nd goal? Played no defense, hovered around center looking for a breakaway, got lucky that we turned it over. Classic care about my stats, more than trying to play the right way.

As for Kadri, it's going to be a long playoffs every single game that's going to be the standard. Try goad him into something stupid every player knows that if Kadri as much as looks at them the wrong way he'll be kicked from the playoffs. And that will be the other teams goal.

I don't mind if the refs want to keep their whistles in their pockets, just be uniform across the board. And for the record, that absolutely was a cross check penalty on Byram. He full on extended his arms outward and made primary contact w/ the shaft of his stick against the Nashville player. It was 100% warranted...just call Benning for the same stuff.

At any rate, they came in and established dominance in G1; now they just need to keep it up and don't let up. Now would be a great time for them to discover a Killer Instinct.

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010
I don't mind if the refs want to keep their whistles in their pockets, just be uniform across the board. And for the record, that absolutely was a cross check penalty on Byram. He full on extended his arms outward and made primary contact w/ the shaft of his stick against the Nashville player. It was 100% warranted...just call Benning for the same stuff.

At any rate, they came in and established dominance in G1; now they just need to keep it up and don't let up. Now would be a great time for them to discover a Killer Instinct.

No doubt it was a penalty, its just that there was so much crosschecking constantly that its a little surreal to see which ones get picked. Like I said earlier in the thread, the problem with game management is that the best predictor of whether or not something is a penalty isn't the severity of the infraction but rather the gameflow and the player's reputation. Not the sign of a serious league

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver

Don't disagree Byram should be called for that it's just weak when you let Nashville injure two guys on cross checks and call nothing. Byram's was tame compared to those. Consistency in the calls is the key. Even McNab, who is all over the place these days, alluded to this on the broadcast. Those are the type of calls you want to see be called both ways, and they weren't calling it both ways since we were winning by so much.

Agree on the killer instinct it would be nice to just run them into the ground and not give them any hope. But we don't typically do that so, we'll see where their heads are at come Thursday.

amigo

Mar 20, 2021
They took runs at Girard whole night and their goon Oliver tries to get something going with Landeskog. Just bring the big man before someone injures one of our top players.

Reactions: Heyduke and Bender

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
They took runs at Girard whole night and their goon Oliver tries to get something going with Landeskog. Just bring the big man before someone injures one of our top players.
Every team will take runs at Girard. He is a very easy target and got rocked multiple times yesterday. It's going to be a problem if G can't avoid the hits.

redandyellowcametobe

Jan 4, 2019
Watched the ESPN U feed last night and while talking about Saros, Weekes used some sort semblance of the words “it’ll have to be a miracle for him to come back this series”.

It’s been pretty much confirmed it’s a high ankle sprain as this point. Do we think Weekes was taking just to talk, or possible he has a bit of info? Obviously high ankle sprains are impossible to get a proper timeline but… maybe he tries to come back game 3 if the preds are desperate.

Reactions: Avs91

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Strong disagree, we've seen Benn take runs at Avs players multiple times
I mean Stars may have couple of guys who play rough one of them is Benn, but Preds entire team maybe with the exception of Forsberg and Duchene will take runs at Avs players all series long

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Watched the ESPN U feed last night and while talking about Saros, Weekes used some sort semblance of the words “it’ll have to be a miracle for him to come back this series”.

It’s been pretty much confirmed it’s a high ankle sprain as this point. Do we think Weekes was taking just to talk, or possible he has a bit of info? Obviously high ankle sprains are impossible to get a proper timeline but… maybe he tries to come back game 3 if the preds are desperate.

It's always possible that Weekes was just talking without knowing for sure, but I'll say this--his work at the Trade Deadline this year was quite good. He was breaking shit left & right. He might have some inside info, especially as it pertains to goalies.

TomppaKoo

Jan 27, 2021
Rantanen has an easy pass back to Makar, does a weird fake and then attempts to force a pass through a defender
Rantanen has 3 points in the first Playoff game and this is the only thing you say about him. Haters gotta hate, I guess. This was the Playoff Big Moose today and he got Loose.

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
Rantanen has 3 points in the first Playoff game and this is the only thing you say about him. Haters gotta hate, I guess. This was the Playoff Big Moose today and he got Loose.
He made a dumb play, and he's made a lot of dumb plays all season. He's a great player, but he makes a lot of bad decisions. It's fine to criticize people.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
I still think its far more important that you go and get the 2-0 lead on home ice, rather then using a roster spot on MacDermid. He does his job on the ice but no question he is the worst player on this team and will make us worse being on the ice.

IMO that 1st game still wasn't anything out of the ordinary or extra dirty then what you'd expect in a playoff game. I also think there's nobody on the Preds roster that's a true "tough guy" like a Reaves, Deslauriers, Lucic, or MacDermid, that you want MacD to be in the lineup for in case those other guys get out of hand.

Like I dont think there's anybody on the Preds roster that's a heavyweight and outside of Mansons league for example.

Go get the 2-0 series lead, and then if the rough stuff picks up more in game 2, maybe you use MacDermid in game 3 in Nashville.
Pretty much all this. Last night was a playoff game. Every game we seen so far has been similar to that in terms of the scrums. The preds didnt do anything dirty dirty and when they did scrum it up the Avs were there to meet them. Adding Macdermid wont deter that. No reason for the Avs to go this route when they just stomped the Preds in every facet of the game.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
Dominant win and really exciting atmosphere. The team looks really deep with everyone healthy.

But it was only one game and Rittich crapped the bed. Nashville will probably come out strong next game.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
Dominant win and really exciting atmosphere. The team looks really deep with everyone healthy.

But it was only one game and Rittich crapped the bed. Nashville will probably come out strong next game.

Lifted by Duchene's strong lower body and ego

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad