GDT: R1G1 - Predators @ Avalanche - Kicking Off the Real Season - 7:30 PM

TomppaKoo

Jan 27, 2021
I would say yes. Seems to be another of those Finnish posters that aren't actually a fan of the team, just a fan of Mikko.

Like the hockey professor but not quite as crazy :laugh:
Rants is a home town boy and I am fan of him. Lehkonen is, too which is quite funny for this season. Naturally I am a fan of those guys, but at the same time a fan of this Avs team and the brand of their hockey since the Duchene trade. Do not make assumptions on a person without knowing him. It is childish behaviour.

Avsfan1921

Oct 5, 2019

I was just reading that article on NHL.com and I wonder if Duchene's quote might rub his teammates the wrong way? Maybe I'm interpreting some things but it totally sounds like he's got the attitude "if you had played great (like I did with my 2 goals) then maybe, just maybe we wouldn't have lost?"...

Geez, just say 'we need to be better' and shut-up about the rest. You got the puck on your stick with the net empty on a broken play and a breakaway goal when the game was already out of reach.
I think you’re wanting to read something that is absolutely not there. He didn’t once mention anything about his personal play, we need to play better”, “we have a lot of pride”….. not once did he single himself out for good play nor anyone else for bad… there is absolutely nothing there to make someone have that view. The team wasn’t good, he is part of the team, everything “negative” was said in the context of “we” so how is that going to offend anyone lol.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I think you’re wanting to read something that is absolutely not there. He didn’t once mention anything about his personal play, we need to play better”, “we have a lot of pride”….. not once did he single himself out for good play nor anyone else for bad… there is absolutely nothing there to make someone have that view. The team wasn’t good, he is part of the team, everything “negative” was said in the context of “we” so how is that going to offend anyone lol.

Personally I like the fact he took the high road when asked about the "Duchene sucks!" chants, he very easily could have said something similar to Eichel's jabs at the Buffalo fans, but he didn't.

I really wish people would just move on already. He's been gone FIVE YEARS. Whether you think he's a selfish prima donna or not, he's gone and the Avs got a very good return for his services. The other two teams involved in that deal (ironically, one of them being Nashville) got jack squat.

The people paid for their tickets so they can do what they want but I didn't care at all for the "Duchene sucks" chant. Especially since he went right down and scored after they started. It was annoying as f*** when Los Angeles fans booed Rob Blake every single time he touched the puck, and it's no less annoying for Avs fans to do it with Duchene.

Now, the vitriol aimed at Matt Benning? Totally deserved. Save it for tools like that.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Personally I like the fact he took the high road when asked about the "Duchene sucks!" chants, he very easily could have said something similar to Eichel's jabs at the Buffalo fans, but he didn't.

I really wish people would just move on already. He's been gone FIVE YEARS. Whether you think he's a selfish prima donna or not, he's gone and the Avs got a very good return for his services. The other two teams involved in that deal (ironically, one of them being Nashville) got jack squat.

The people paid for their tickets so they can do what they want but I didn't care at all for the "Duchene sucks" chant. Especially since he went right down and scored after they started. It was annoying as f*** when Los Angeles fans booed Rob Blake every single time he touched the puck, and it's no less annoying for Avs fans to do it with Duchene.

Now, the vitriol aimed at Matt Benning? Totally deserved. Save it for tools like that.
Nobody cares about Matt Benning. I dont even think Matt Benning cares for Matt Benning haha. People do need to move on from Duchene. Let it go. Team talked about trading him. He wasnt pleased asked to be traded later. It happens in life.

MacKaRant

Sponsor
Jul 27, 2021
BTW did not like that run Granlund took at Byram late in the game. Luckily Bo saw it and ducked out of the way, Granlund nearly injured himself in the process.
Yeah, I saw that too. For a second there, I thought someone on our team was going to go for retribution on Granlund.

Reactions: Pokecheque

BleedWell

Jan 6, 2018
Rants is a home town boy and I am fan of him. Lehkonen is, too which is quite funny for this season. Naturally I am a fan of those guys, but at the same time a fan of this Avs team and the brand of their hockey since the Duchene trade. Do not make assumptions on a person without knowing him. It is childish behaviour.
Don't mind him. He is the official crash test dummy on Avs boards. Lonely guy with a desperate need to understand hockey but just doesn't😄😄😄

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I'm not one that would normally boo a player or chant at them, but the circumstances around Duchene make it understandable for fans. The team was bad, he had just celebrated a small personal milestone over team success in a blowout, and he asked to be traded while Gabe and EJ asked to stay.

They've only played a handful of games against each other since then, and now the Avs are good, and they're playing Duchene in the playoffs. Of course fans want to remind him that he chose to leave. It's like showing off your new hot girlfriend to your ex that left you.

I think the "Duchene sucks" chant is a bit much but he made his bed when he left.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I'm not one that would normally boo a player or chant at them, but the circumstances around Duchene make it understandable for fans. The team was bad, he had just celebrated a small personal milestone over team success in a blowout, and he asked to be traded while Gabe and EJ asked to stay.

They've only played a handful of games against each other since then, and now the Avs are good, and they're playing Duchene in the playoffs. Of course fans want to remind him that he chose to leave. It's like showing off your new hot girlfriend to your ex that left you.

I think the "Duchene sucks" chant is a bit much but he made his bed when he left.
I mean they attempted to trade him prior to his trade request. I'm not a huge Duchene guy and certainly not an apologist of his but some of it is over the to. Especially the Duchene sucks chants. Also I don't really think anyone should be resented for wanting to leave when Duchene did, the organization was the worst run org in the league outside of maybe the Oilers and Coyotes. I'd want out too. But I get it and think there's nothing wring with booing him when he has the puck.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I mean they attempted to trade him prior to his trade request. I'm not a huge Duchene guy and certainly not an apologist of his but some of it is over the to. Especially the Duchene sucks chants. Also I don't really think anyone should be resented for wanting to leave when Duchene did, the organization was the worst run org in the league outside of maybe the Oilers and Coyotes. I'd want out too. But I get it and think there's nothing wring with booing him when he has the puck.

IIRC, he had asked for a trade like a year or so before he was actually traded. That would have been the source of any previous trade talks, because Joe didn't want to trade him.

It's somewhat understandable that he wanted to leave, but if felt more to me like a spoiled/entitled move from a guy who's always gotten what he wanted.. This is a guy who got his dad to build him a home rink growing up. Was drafted by his childhood team. Over celebrated his 30th goal while his team was getting blown out. Avoided Eurolanche every time they came to visit. Then orchestrated a trade off his childhood team when they started to struggle. Then had a sour attitude in photos and comments when Joe didn't immediately trade him to start the season. Then when his new team was playing .500 hockey he talked shit about his coaches as a vet in front of young players. Then when the Sens became bottom dwellers he went to his favorite city in Nashville. He's used to getting what he wants.

He was only 26 at the time he was traded though and only had two years left on his deal. Plenty IMO to just play out your contract for your supposed favorite team, and then go Cup chasing in UFA if you want. But he wanted out immediately while team first guys like Landy and EJ told Joe they wanted to help the team turn it around.

The Duchene sucks chants are a little too personal though IMO.

Reactions: SaltySkywalker

katfude

Sep 25, 2015
Ya'll just feeding him hate energy he is translating into goals.

It probably would have cut deeper if he got no reaction at all, but we are well past that now.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
IIRC, he had asked for a trade like a year or so before he was actually traded. That would have been the source of any previous trade talks, because Joe didn't want to trade him.

It's somewhat understandable that he wanted to leave, but if felt more to me like a spoiled/entitled move from a guy who's always gotten what he wanted.. This is a guy who got his dad to build him a home rink growing up. Was drafted by his childhood team. Over celebrated his 30th goal while his team was getting blown out. Avoided Eurolanche every time they came to visit. Then orchestrated a trade off his childhood team when they started to struggle. Then had a sour attitude in photos and comments when Joe didn't immediately trade him to start the season. Then when his new team was playing .500 hockey he talked shit about his coaches as a vet in front of young players. Then when the Sens became bottom dwellers he went to his favorite city in Nashville. He's used to getting what he wants.

He was only 26 at the time he was traded though and only had two years left on his deal. Plenty IMO to just play out your contract for your supposed favorite team, and then go Cup chasing in UFA if you want. But he wanted out immediately while team first guys like Landy and EJ told Joe they wanted to help the team turn it around.

The Duchene sucks chants are a little too personal though IMO.
I remember there were trade rumors prior to his request. I think 15-16 or 14-15 maybe? But it was during one of his horrible slumps. I think it may have been a motivation tactic more than anything, but I think I that happened. Either way I don't mind the booing comes with the territory of asking out. The chants are pretty tacky though.

Reactions: Foppa2118

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Players who demand trades are never going to be remembered fondly.

Matt Duchene didn’t want to be a Colorado Avalanche. He’s now dealing with the consequences of that decision.

Reactions: Foppa2118

MonsterMack

He did the Mack, He did the monster Mack
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2013
Arvada, CO
I definitely remember there being trade rumors long before Duchene requested a trade. I'm sure he saw the writing on the wall and just wanted it done and over with. Then Joe dragged his feet with the whole situation (I'm glad he did, awesome package in return). I don't blame Duchene for being bitter about how any of it was handled. That said, I'll boo him alongside everyone else

Avaholic29

Feb 5, 2014

It’s the playoffs, anything goes. Preds fans started the “you suck” nonsense with opposing teams goalies.

I'm still going to love Makar when he opts to go to Calgary

Makar will retire an av.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I definitely remember there being trade rumors long before Duchene requested a trade. I'm sure he saw the writing on the wall and just wanted it done and over with. Then Joe dragged his feet with the whole situation (I'm glad he did, awesome package in return). I don't blame Duchene for being bitter about how any of it was handled. That said, I'll boo him alongside everyone else

His name was in trade rumors because the team was struggling and all the good player's names were in trade rumors. Teams were circling like vultures and Joe was trying to decide what to do.

Landy's name was in trade rumors all season, especially for Carlo. EJ's name was mentioned a lot as well. But Landy and EJ went to Joe and said they wanted to be part of the turnaround and Duchene asked to be traded.

Not exactly the same situation because he wasn't a star player, but Jost is an example of how a player should ask for a trade. You don't act like you're entitled to it and pout when it doesn't happen right away. Jost asked for a trade a year or two before he was dealt, and never once acted upset he wasn't given a better opportunity on another team. He just kept working hard and patiently waited for Joe to make a deal.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
It’s the playoffs, anything goes. Preds fans started the “you suck” nonsense with opposing teams goalies.

I forgot about that. Yeah that was annoying af. They did it just after one goal would be scored too, even when it wasn't a bad goal.

Felt like the actions of children watching hockey for the first time, because that was the first time the Preds didn't suck.

HockeyFan100

Oct 7, 2012
I don't really blame Duchene for wanting out to be honest. It's funny how things can turn out, but I'm sure no rational Avs fan expected them to make the playoffs after that 48 point season. Duchene was already apart of some really bad teams, and it looked like there was gonna be another 3 or 4 ugly years of Avs hockey to come.

People seem to forget that despite the trade request and that unhappy photo of him during preseason, he came into the 17/18 season looking like the Avs best player and put up 10 points in 13 games, which I believe helped repair his trade value a lot. He looked like he cared again. Then that sweet trade deal came and the rest is history.

MonsterMack

He did the Mack, He did the monster Mack
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2013
Arvada, CO
His name was in trade rumors because the team was struggling and all the good player's names were in trade rumors. Teams were circling like vultures and Joe was trying to decide what to do.

Landy's name was in trade rumors all season, especially for Carlo. EJ's name was mentioned a lot as well. But Landy and EJ went to Joe and said they wanted to be part of the turnaround and Duchene asked to be traded.

Not exactly the same situation because he wasn't a star player, but Jost is an example of how a player should ask for a trade. You don't act like you're entitled to it and pout when it doesn't happen right away. Jost asked for a trade a year or two before he was dealt, and never once acted upset he wasn't given a better opportunity on another team. He just kept working hard and patiently waited for Joe to make a deal.
I don't remember the rumors for our other players being on the same level of seriousness that Duchene's were. And it's misleading to say he pouted because he wasn't immediately traded after his request. It was like a full 2 seasons of him knowing he wasn't part of this team's future. Good for Landy and EJ to want to stick around, but who cares? I don't understand why Avs fans feel the need to vilify Duchene for any of it. The only valid reason to hate Duchene imo is because of whatever he is doing with his hair/facial hair :sarcasm:

And as you said with Jost, it isn't the same situation at all and has no relevance. Jost might not be in the league in a couple years. Duchene asked for a trade because he was already being shopped and it was dragging on.

Reactions: katfude

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese
    Bologna vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4