Prospect Info: Quinton Byfield (2nd Overall 2020 Draft) Discussion part II

Steve Zissou

I'll order you a red cap and a Speedo.
Feb 3, 2006
City of Angels
Honestly we're so lucky to have this kid. Another summer of Gary Roberts and absorbing what he did in the pros this year...kid is gonna be an absolute f***ing monster.

This kid is like a goddamn sponge and soaks up everything from everyone around him.

He's just getting started...

We all forget how young he is and how much potential this kid has.

Peter James Bond III

CHROMIAK COMETH
Jul 8, 2020
I do not want the Kings to make QB a Kopi clone. He will never reach his offensive potential...especially on the PP. For the past 7 years, Kopi has averaged 4 PP goals a year;
1 and 3 goals in 2 of them. (o pp goals in 47 games in 12-13. wtf?) This is criminal. Yes, Anze is world class and has been an outstanding number 1 center and a horse. One of the best 2-way centers of his generation. But, I don't want the Kings cloning QB to be an elite defensive center and I do not want to see him average 4 PP goals a year. I want him to beast on the man advantage and routinely score 10 pp goals a year. I want him to excel at defense, but not to the detriment of letting him go as high as he can, with his innate ability and offensive tools and
prowess to be an offensive dynamo.

This is not anti Anze and not saying that QB should not learn under Anze. I DO. I don't want Anze teaching QB the PP and to stay on the half wall on the PP and learn the main option to pass back to the point.

I cannot believe Quinton is still 18. As stated, 3 weeks later bday, this draft would be the Quinton Byfield draft....Power would be a a distant second overall.

Last edited:

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
I do not want the Kings to make QB a Kopi clone. He will never reach his offensive potential...especially on the PP. For the past 7 years, Kopi has averaged 4 PP goals a year;
1 and 3 goals in 2 of them. (o pp goals in 47 games in 12-13. wtf?) This is criminal. Yes, Anze is world class and has been an outstanding number 1 center and a horse. One of the best 2-way centers of his generation. But, I don't want the Kings cloning QB to be an elite defensive center and I do not want to see him average 4 PP goals a year. I want him to beast on the man advantage and routinely score 10 pp goals a year. I want him to excel at defense, but not to the detriment of letting him go as high as he can, with his innate ability and offensive tools and
prowess to be an offensive dynamo.

This is not anti Anze and not saying that QB should not learn under Anze. I DO. I don't want Anze teaching QB the PP and to stay on the half wall on the PP and learn the main option to pass back to the point.

I cannot believe Quinton is still 18. As stated, 3 weeks later bday, this draft would be the Quinton Byfield draft....Power would be a a distant second overall.

If QB is anywhere close to the caliber of player that Kopitar was we will be extremely happy.

The PP is the only weakness to both Kopitar and Doughty's careers.

Steve Zissou

I'll order you a red cap and a Speedo.
Feb 3, 2006
City of Angels
@Peter James Bond III As I recall I remember seeing QM mainly in front of the net on PP, NOT on the half wall.

QM likes his rushes up the ice but likes mainly scores his goals around the mouth of the net.

Kopi not so much. I don't think you have anything to worry about. :thumbu:

FedorTyutin

Jan 10, 2019
Question :

Since Byfield couldn't even play junior, do you think he still has a 3-year entry level salary, or is it 2 years?

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be

Trash Panda

May 12, 2021
If he's a valuable part of the Kings lineup, no shot they let him go.
The kings aren’t winning anything worthwhile this year, or even the next. I argue that if it contributes positively to his development, management would be remiss to not let him go.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Honestly we're so lucky to have this kid. Another summer of Gary Roberts and absorbing what he did in the pros this year...kid is gonna be an absolute f***ing monster.
The thing to like about this is, at 18-19 years of age, Byfield seems determined and serious to reach his full potential as a professional. A lot of things can happen to derail him, but lack of effort won't be one of them.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Yes, and he arguably should be given the chance to.

Something a la Brayden Schenn at the 2011 tournament.

Teams very rarely let their NHL players go. I think the last time it was done was the Ducks with Comtois, but he also played the minimum to kick in his ELC and they still sent him down to juniors.

KopitarFAN

Reno Sucks!
Oct 14, 2008
San Pedro, CA
The kings aren’t winning anything worthwhile this year, or even the next. I argue that if it contributes positively to his development, management would be remiss to not let him go.

If they were to go let him go play in that, might as well send him back to Sudbury. If they're burning a year on the ELC, he's going nowhere.

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
I can see the idea behind allowing QB to play in the WJC, but if he's in the NHL and playing consistently there's really no point. If he's only played like a couple games then I'd considered it

Reactions: Deaders Ghost

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
Who cares about the WJC. Makes no sense to have him miss out on NHL games and NHL experience to go play in a tournament that means nothing to his development. How many #2 OA picks have played in the WJC as a 19 year old?

The Kings need him to be knocking on Kopitar's door by the end of next season, the best way to do that is NHL games and NHL icetime. Not competing against a bunch of teenagers, most of whom won't play in the league.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad