Player Discussion Quinn Hughes, Pt. VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slurpeelover27

Unleash the MaKaraken!!!
Mar 7, 2018
British Columbia
Right handed stabilizing right side defenders are very rare and very costly.

The guys I like for that spot cost a lot of $$ and would require a boat load of assets.

I think a guy like Ryan Pulock would almost be perfect, need to wait another season until he's UFA.
Pulock is way better than Myers so start making cap space if you want to make that dream happen.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Luke Schenn and Quinn Hughes got out shot with 84% offensive zone starts.

The reputation Schenn has here is crazy.

Reactions: bh53

The Vasili Jerry

Serenity now!
Jun 11, 2011
Orange County
Luke Schenn and Quinn Hughes got out shot with 84% offensive zone starts.

The reputation Schenn has here is crazy.
Hughes and Tanev got outshot when they were paired together as well. Actually, the pairing of Hughes and Myers is a good pairing if you just look at advanced stats.
I was kinda saying get Schenn tongue-in-cheek but they really did have decent chemistry for the short amount of time they were together.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Hughes and Tanev got outshot when they were paired together as well. Actually, the pairing of Hughes and Myers is a good pairing if you just look at advanced stats.
I was kinda saying get Schenn tongue-in-cheek but they really did have decent chemistry for the short amount of time they were together.
Hughes and Tanev play much tougher minutes than Hughes and Myers/Schenn.

Hughes needs a partner that can help him tread water in tough minutes. Schenn isn’t that nor would he be too pleased to get claimed and forced into a 14 day quarantine rather than living in Florida.

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
Tanev's puck-moving abilities get a bit underrated. He had decent enough vision to make plays so Hughes wasn't completed dragged down by him. Guys like Carlo/Dillion are legitimate offensive black holes. I already have any aneurysms watching Benn handle the puck like a grenade in the o-zone.

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
Schenn didn't look bad with Hughes but that was a small sample size relative to his (awful) entire body of work in this league.

CpatainCanuck

Sep 18, 2008
We need someone like Tanev but younger and more durable to play with Hughes long term. Literally just be rock solid in your own zone. Hughes creates enough offense for both parties.

Tanev wasn't that great last year imo (though certainly a better pairing for Hughes than anything they have this year). The bigger factor was Hughes playing better defensively last year than this one.

If you notice, the Flames added Tanev and Markstrom and are on pace for a worse finish this season than last one.

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
He's a better #7 than our current #7, send Chatfield to help out Utica

Hamonic's return will bump Chatfield to #8 and thus likely the taxi squad. I doubt that Aqua is keen to add another one-way salary to make Schenn a #8 this season.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Yes.

His name is Luke Schenn and he was on waivers 3 days before the start of the season. His Salary cap is 800 000k, and he's a right shooter. Just won the cup, so he is playoff battle hardened. played for us previously, tough guy, not ideal for now, but a better option than Benn and a righty. I also think Hamonic is a decent option.
He’s on waivers again.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Schenn didn't look bad with Hughes but that was a small sample size relative to his (awful) entire body of work in this league.
Schenn plays down on the depth chart with TB. What kind of minutes do people expect out of him in Vancouver?

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Definitely didnt look good on that Kahun goal

I think he thought like every canuck that the puck was covered as no canuck was moving then 1 pass and he realized it wasnt covered and in the net.

CanucksSayEh

Apr 6, 2012
Something on the PP has to change. Every pass goes through Hughes up top, there's no East-West. Huggy almost looks annoyed that nobody shoots and keeps returning passes. Boeser has a great shot from the point, want to see a more 2 high set up with them. If someone could screen the goalie, that'd just be great.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I'm convinced that comparing Hughes' performance last season with Tanev with his partner, is almost like comparing 'apples and oranges'.

For starters, the Canucks were on course to play every team in the NHL at least twice before the March shutdown. And amongst that mix East and West, were some pretty mediocre hockey teams. And some of the poorest were in the Pacific Division.

But this year the Canucks are temporarily in a Division that doesn't mesh with the skillset on their blueline. Too many fast forwards, who get in on the forecheck and put pressure on d-men to make quick decisions.

So although the Canucks really haven't found a replacement for Tanev with Hughes, it's not hard to predict that they'd probably be struggling just as badly as they are right now with him in the lineup. Teams have started to figure out Hughes, and how to contain him and put him in a phone-booth.

It's just the natural evolution of the NHL. So the ball is in the Canucks court to find a better partner for Hughes who brings some of the same elements as Tanev, but a lot more physical and with faster puck movement. And that's a tall order.

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
He needs a steady stay at home partner like Tanev, we are missing him badly.

QH has been so bad defensively this year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad