Player Discussion Quinn Hughes, Pt. VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grantham

Mar 28, 2017
once again solid numbers from Quinn based on advanced stats. Last game, he wasn't even on for the most shots against 5v5 against he jets. He lead the team in puck possession. Lead the team in SF 5v5, and was like 6th on Shots against, which is good, other dmans are giving up more 5v5 shots on goal when they are on the ice.

Today he was on for 11 shots attempts, and 10 shots against, in 5v5 ice time. in terms of shots attempts on us 5v5, Hughes was not even the worst. There were 8 guys who gave up shot attempts 5v5 then Hughes, meanwhile he was 2nd best on shot attempts it was Travis Hamonic 5v5 out there we had 18, 2nd place was Quinn with 17. Puck possession wise, every time Quinn was out there we controlled it 58% of time, but guess what, Hamonic has a 66% puck possession, that said, Quinn was a -1, lol, anyways, looking at it my gosh, the Canucks played really well today.

Thanks for bringing out the advanced stats, they certainly are important.

But using the old eye test though...man Quinn is so casual back there, as if he is playing beer league. Troy Stecher was no bigger, but the battle he had. He was like an angry bee the forward had to swat away.

Thats what I would like to see. I don't expect he'll ever be great defensively, but up the intensity on the back end.

I'm legit scared when QH is in his zone without the puck. He is worse this year imo defensively. He needs to shorten up his shifts so he doesn't get caught out tired like he often does.

Reactions: John Snow

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I was really hoping Hughes could win the double: The Norris and the Green Jacket. Alas that Green Jacket dream is being stolen by Dahlin. That guy is ripping it up! Minus 21 and climbing.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
We're going to have to pay Hughes more than market value to get him here long term. Just a feeling I have.

I could see them opting for a bridge. Maybe 3 years @ $7 million per?

I don’t see how he's worth more than 5-5.5 on a bridge tbh. The comps just aren't there. Among other high-end young defensemen recently, Chabot signed for 8 for 8, and Provorov for 6.75 for 6. Meanwhile 3 year deals for Werenski and McAvoy were 5 and 4.9 respectively. I don't believe Hughes has shown himself to be another level as an all around defenseman to get much more. I realize his points are impressive, but that's not as important as it is for forwards, and is no reason to overpay him.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Lol!....last season, Jordie Benn wasn't even good enough to get into the lineup most nights. Now he's the everyday d-partner for Quinn Hughes.

Nothing against Benn, but if that's the best the Canucks can do for a d-partner for Hughes (a guy who's a left hand shot but converted to play the right side), then it's not surprising Hughes is at the high water mark in terms of plus-minus.

Could be his contract will come in cheaper as a result. Maybe there's a method to the madness of tethering him to Benn after all?

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
Half Hughes's problems stem from shift management. The guy picks and chooses when he's gonna change and then gets caught out extremely long shifts. Doesn't help that green's system allows other teams to gain the blue line so easily to initiate that cycle and cross-ice passes.

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
We're going to have to pay Hughes more than market value to get him here long term. Just a feeling I have.

I could see them opting for a bridge. Maybe 3 years @ $7 million per?

Of course we will, he's American. Don't be shocked if he demands a trade at some point, possibly to re-unite with his bros...

lawrence

May 19, 2012
I like to see how maker will do with our group of forwards instead of what the avs have in front of him. Will also like to see how Hughes will do with the avs group of forwards instead of what he has to work with in Vancouver.

Reactions: Grumpy1

Green Blank Stare

Drance approved coach
May 16, 2019
Thanks for bringing out the advanced stats, they certainly are important.

But using the old eye test though...man Quinn is so casual back there, as if he is playing beer league. Troy Stecher was no bigger, but the battle he had. He was like an angry bee the forward had to swat away.

Thats what I would like to see. I don't expect he'll ever be great defensively, but up the intensity on the back end.

I'm legit scared when QH is in his zone without the puck. He is worse this year imo defensively. He needs to shorten up his shifts so he doesn't get caught out tired like he often does.
Because Hughes is being asked to carry a massive offensive burden. This team has maybe one and a half good lines. The Lotto Line is consistently producing but after that it's a crap shoot. The bottom two lines are giving them nothing and none of the other defensemen is creating any offense.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
His shift chart last night is a disaster

yes Vancouver was trapped in their own zone the entire game 5v5.

however he had a couple shifts around 2 minutes
A bunch around 1:30-1:50 range.

Man this team needs a a coach that understands 5v5 hockey sooooooooooooo bad.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Quinn Hughes was up to nine minutes out of a 20 minute period most of the night. Pretty well tells you what Green thought about the rest of his defensive corps.

Unfortunately Hughes is getting all the toughest matchups and teams are keying on him for extra physical punishment. And it isn't going to change until Benning and the Canucks can get him some help. And the soonest that can happen is next season.

But if it doesn't happen, I have a bad feeling about Hughes future. A serious injury is the most likely outcome.

Canuckle1970

Mar 24, 2010
Hughes has been getting a fair amount of flak in the GDTs lately - for his defensive play, and his so-called muffin shots from the blue line.

He's only 21 years old, in his 2nd year in the NHL, often plays the most minutes per game, shoulders the burden of quarterbacking our power play, and has offensive stats that so many other NHL Ds would kill for. He does this while playing in a defensive "system" that begs for mercy.

I just want to give him some support in a challenging sophomore year. A lot of teams would welcome his positives and negatives with open arms.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
It's really getting tragic watching this guy play every night. Just looks completely lost defensively right now. He desperately needs a stablizing partner right now or else his career is absolutely f***ed.

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
His defense is better than Dahlin's, his overall game is better than Heiskanen's ealrier this year (he's back to form now). He stays in the lineup, unlike Makar. All it means is that he is young, it's just his second year, there is still a lot of growth to be had, and his positives outweighs his negatives, no young D is perfect. It's a lost year anyways, let him learn the hard way and build muscles gradually so his body can adjust to it. Maybe ride the unicycle with Höglander? The future GM needs to get him a D partner like Pelech or Parayko, Romanov or draft one this year. Both Hughes and Lambos are likely to drop.

Reactions: Luckylarry

CanucksSayEh

Apr 6, 2012
Would like to inject some Stetcher fire into him, but he'll be okay. Has the most responsibility on the team. Whole team defers to Hughes as the QB, I can't imagine any other player having the puck as much as he does. Would be a disaster.

Reactions: bh53

lawrence

May 19, 2012
I think our coach over working Demko and Hughes. Hughes many times in a rough place because his ice time shoots up if we are losing, and we seem to be playing from behind more often then not. Hughes is now our new top pairing guy, which comes with high expecations. HIs offensive game is there, I think it's just too much for him right now, because our team is shitty unlike what Heiskanen and Colorado forwards. Lets be honest, I think Hughes will not have the same issues he has if he was on the Avalanche or the Dallas Stars. It's because of our poorly constructed team, which was poorly constructed from our Manager. Of course I also have to say, Hughes does need to improve his defensive game, but not as bad as some people are saying or the non Canuck stat watching fan have been saying. Overall I am happy he is on our team.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
His defense is better than Dahlin's, his overall game is better than Heiskanen's ealrier this year (he's back to form now). He stays in the lineup, unlike Makar. All it means is that he is young, it's just his second year, there is still a lot of growth to be had, and his positives outweighs his negatives, no young D is perfect. It's a lost year anyways, let him learn the hard way and build muscles gradually so his body can adjust to it. Maybe ride the unicycle with Höglander? The future GM needs to get him a D partner like Pelech or Parayko, Romanov or draft one this year. Both Hughes and Lambos are likely to drop.
Romanov was drafted by the Habs one spot after we drafted Woo. Maybe Woo is the steady Eddy partner for Hughes?

Reactions: Regress2TheMeme

Ita

Mar 11, 2019
He's f***ing 21 years old.

Of course he should be playing with a solid veteran stay at home, but we decided not to bring ours back. So now he gets exposed.

But we needed the cap space to sign Holtby so that he can mentor Demko. He's far more important than Tanev.

Last edited:

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Hughes is having a rougher season, but he's put in a tough spot.

Green is asking him to be their 1D in all high-leverage minutes and do it playing next to one of Hamonic/Benn. These guys shouldn't even be in the lineup on a regular basis.

That's a tough ask for a kid who, ideally, would be in a softer second-pair role right now with a reliable partner.

likash

Apr 17, 2019
Quinn Hughes was up to nine minutes out of a 20 minute period most of the night. Pretty well tells you what Green thought about the rest of his defensive corps.

Unfortunately Hughes is getting all the toughest matchups and teams are keying on him for extra physical punishment. And it isn't going to change until Benning and the Canucks can get him some help. And the soonest that can happen is next season.

But if it doesn't happen, I have a bad feeling about Hughes future. A serious injury is the most likely outcome.

Edler and Schmidt are doing the heavy work. Hughes does what he wants out there. This is a problem. Racking point looks good, but you also have to play at least decent defence. Even Ehlers outmuscled him and drove to the net and i've never seen him do that before. He needs a coach who can instill some defensive responsability in him. Giving young guys such freedom and power is not always a good thing. We don't want the be like Buffallo or the Oilers before Tippet and Holland.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad