Player Discussion Quinn Hughes, Pt. VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
He's been on the ice for 21 goals against. You don't receive a + for scoring on the powerplay, nor a - for being scored on while shorthanded.
I am just using the NHL rules and statistics. They say a minus is when on the ice when a goal is scored against. A plus is added when scored for. This is a running total throughout the season.
total points and plus minus, either add or subtract. If he was not on the ice for any goals for his +/- would be -29. That is 29 goals against The team goals against is 63.
Again this is just how the NHL hands out +/-

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Man I hate burning years on ELC's. I despise it like some other GM's who refuse to do it.

Would love another year to see Hughes
I have no idea how you negotiate a contract with such polarizing play on either side in a contract year.

I can't see how you negotiate any sort of long term contract.
would go bridge.

Last edited:

LaVal

Dec 13, 2002
Kelowna
You do get minus shorthanded don’t you?

No. You do get a minus if you surrender a goal while on the powerplay, or a plus when you score a shorthanded goal, however.

I am just using the NHL rules and statistics. They say a minus is when on the ice when a goal is scored against. A plus is added when scored for. This is a running total throughout the season.
total points and plus minus, either add or subtract. If he was not on the ice for any goals for his +/- would be -29. That is 29 goals against The team goals against is 63.
Again this is just how the NHL hands out +/-

This is only for even strength. 9 of Hughes' points are on the powerplay, and therefor don't count towards his +/-. I was however, wrong when I said it was 21 goals against. The official count straight off of NHL.com is 27 against, 23 goals for, so a total differential of -4.

Reactions: canuckking1

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
No. You do get a minus if you surrender a goal while on the powerplay, or a plus when you score a shorthanded goal, however.

This is only for even strength. 9 of Hughes' points are on the powerplay, and therefor don't count towards his +/-. I was however, wrong when I said it was 21 goals against. The official count straight off of NHL.com is 27 against, 23 goals for, so a total differential of -4.
Might want to rework those numbers as the NHL shows him at -13. The NHL is the generator of these numbers and rules. They are the simplest in the rule book. You got 27 I got what 29?
Go to NHL.com - Players stats - select defencemen under position - click Get Stats - click on +/- twice, the first time will give you the best in the NHL the second click the worst in the NHL. That is where you will find Hughes right there with Gudbranson.

LaVal

Dec 13, 2002
Kelowna
Might want to rework those numbers as the NHL shows him at -13. The NHL is the generator of these numbers and rules. They are the simplest in the rule book. You got 27 I got what 29?
Go to NHL.com - Players stats - select defencemen under position - click Get Stats - click on +/- twice, the first time will give you the best in the NHL the second click the worst in the NHL. That is where you will find Hughes right there with Gudbranson.

I don't know how much clearer I can explain it. +/- is only for even strength. The entire game is not played at even strength. You cannot tell how many total goals a player was on for or against by their +/-. You are looking at the wrong stat.

Quinn Hughes' 9 powerplay points do not count towards his +/-. If they did, he would be a -4.

Instead of using NHL.com to look up his +/-, use NHL.com to look at his goals against.

NHL Stats

That is:
26 on ice even strength goals against
1 on ice short-handed goal against
0 on ice powerplay goals against

14 on ice even strength goals for
9 on ice powerplay goals for
0 on ice shorthanded goals for

Scorvat

Mar 17, 2015
I don't know how much clearer I can explain it. +/- is only for even strength. The entire game is not played at even strength. You cannot tell how many total goals a player was on for or against by their +/-. You are looking at the wrong stat.

Quinn Hughes' 9 powerplay points do not count towards his +/-. If they did, he would be a -4.

Instead of using NHL.com to look up his +/-, use NHL.com to look at his goals against.

NHL Stats

That is:
26 on ice even strength goals against
1 on ice short-handed goal against
0 on ice powerplay goals against

14 on ice even strength goals for
9 on ice powerplay goals for
0 on ice shorthanded goals for

Do empty net goals count for the total ES goals against?

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
Do empty net goals count for the total ES goals against?

Yes, in the NHL's breakdown and calculations. With Canucks' goalie pulled Hughes has been on the ice for one goal for, three EN goals against so his truer ES +/- is -10. (No goals for/against with opposition goalie pulled.)

Reactions: Scorvat

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
The point is clear, his defensive play NEEDS a lotta work thats for sure theres no doubt about it like at all it needs to be fixed or changed and they had the guy last year in Tanev to help him develop but let him go which every day is looking like such a team CRIPPLING decision even if the guy was gonna miss some games DUE to injury but if it is going to EFFECT our prime so called future #1 dman that that was a terrible decision because there is NOONE right now MENTORING Hughes on how to improve his defensive game cause we can forget about the offensive part hes GOT that covered but the defensive coach and the more experienced dmen (Schmidt and Edler) dont seem to be really effecting him

shottasasa

Nov 16, 2011
Canada
I don’t think the mentoring is an issue only insofar as actually playing with someone very good being more beneficial than just watching. Tanev’s ability to cover for him is certainly missed. As is Markstrom’s. I think he’s going to be a no. 1 who might get Norris consideration in the future as he matures and improves his defensive game, but this is revealing that he is not quite as far along that path as most everyone suspected. To be fair tho, he’s only in his second season and any dman at that age would struggle on such a bad defensive team, even the mighty Makar. :sarcasm: Look at Dahlin for example.

Breakers

Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
It is tough to see Stecher and Tanev both in the top 5 amongst defense in even strength defense.
:eek:
Our right side is such a mess.
With how weak the right side defense prospect pool is. Future doesnt look good in that area.

Last edited:
Reactions: HockeyWooot

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East
It is tough to see Stecher and Tanev both in the top 5 amongst defense in even strength defense.
With how weak the right side defense prospect pool is. Future doesnt look good in that area.
"Tough" is putting it mildly.

With those two alone we have a much more solid D.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
what's the link to the stats on stecher and tanev?

Breakers

Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
what's the link to the stats on stecher and tanev?

Here is Calgary's above replacement numbers.
CGY-Goals-Above-Replacement.png

Here is Detroits above replacement numbers
Detroit-Goals-Above-Replcement.png

Again small sample size, and the models arent as great this year because the NHL is isolated, so technically there is no NHL, just divisions.
EVO = Even strength offense, EVD, even strength defense

Reactions: timw33

Breakers

Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
From a couple a days ago Peeny, not sure what looks like now:

Still roughly the same
NHL Lines Advanced Stats

Slavin - Hamilton to me is the best defense pairing in the NHL
They Stabalized Klingberg with Lindell

Got to find the guy for Hughes, and the coach.
My pipe dream partner for Hughes that is somewhat realistic in being able to obtain is Brandon Carlo

Ghetty Green

Apr 7, 2018
I have not been posting here very often but I have been on Twitter and CDC.

I have been pounding the boards about Hughes lack of defence.
I have not read through this thread so I am sure I cannot be the only fan to notice.

But I get to say it here without threats, suspensions, astro surfed or getting banned.

Hughes defence is horrible, If Green wants his best chance to win right now he has to bench Hughes except for the PP.

A minus 13 and having 17 points means he has been on the ice when the other team has scored 30 goals against. Pretty much half the goals against.

Scoring 17 goals might be really good but stopping 30 goals might win more games

And Hughes thinks he is playing good defence! Oh where are you Torts? Someone needs to tell this kid the difference between black and white. But then under Benning he is playing REEELL GUD
Welcome. Your opinions are respected and valued here.

Reactions: theguardianII

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
You have to admire Hughes honesty....when asked why the team was struggling so badly he out of the gate, he pointed out; "Well, we lost a lot of guys in the off-season'.

It's a comment that won't likely endear him to Benning.....but kudos to this 21-year old kid for stating the obvious.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Hughes has a 5v5 goals against of 3.73 is the highest of any d who has played more than 450 mins in the past 50 games.

181/181.

180/181 in expected goals against as well

according to the athletic

Grape

Jul 22, 2016
People will rightfully talk about Tanev, but Hughes was also a much better defender individually last year and the year before than he is this year.

Instead of putting all the focus on finding him a good partner, I would at least spend half of it figuring out why he's regressed so heavily there. I have a good feeling it's his decline in skating speed.

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
People will rightfully talk about Tanev, but Hughes was also a much better defender individually last year and the year before than he is this year.

Instead of putting all the focus on finding him a good partner, I would at least spend half of it figuring out why he's regressed so heavily there. I have a good feeling it's his decline in skating speed.

He's gained unnecessary weight. Reminds me of what Boeser did after his rookie season. When are these guys gonna learn bigger isn't always better?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad