Prospect Info: Quinn Hughes, Pt. III

Status
Not open for further replies.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I wouldn’t get too excited about Hughes’ play at the World Juniors. What I would like to see is him play very good defense against the top teams. While it will be exciting to watch him light up the bad teams offensively with his skating and passing, it won’t be much of an indicator of future success IMO. Everyone expects this.

Like I said before, I think people are overrating Hughes’ floor on this forum. People tend to get over excited about flashy prospects and are willing to overlook their flaws. While I am not making this comparison to suggest Hughes will bust, take a look back at what was the Rob Schremp hype train.
Meh. I heard the same thing about EP last year too. Told not to get too excited.
I think I’ll watch for myself and decide whether or not I should be excited.

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
Meh. I heard the same thing about EP last year too. Told not to get too excited.
I think I’ll watch for myself and decide whether or not I should be excited.

Pettersson's +1 was way more impressive than Hughes'.

Hughes' +1 isn't even as good as Boeser's was.

Regress2TheMeme

Mar 14, 2018
I wouldn’t get too excited about Hughes’ play at the World Juniors. What I would like to see is him play very good defense against the top teams. While it will be exciting to watch him light up the bad teams offensively with his skating and passing, it won’t be much of an indicator of future success IMO. Everyone expects this.

Like I said before, I think people are overrating Hughes’ floor on this forum. People tend to get over excited about flashy prospects and are willing to overlook their flaws. While I am not making this comparison to suggest Hughes will bust, take a look back at what was the Rob Schremp hype train.

At worst Hughs should at least be a top 4 defender that gets sheltered but brings a lot on offense. His offense could be good enough that his biggest liability, his defense down low, could be minimized because his team has the puck most of the time. His best trait translates to the NHL better than a guy like Schremp that has elite hands but can't skate very well. Hughs creates time and space where a guy like Schremp can do amazing things with time and space but needs other people to facilitate that for him.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Pettersson's +1 was way more impressive than Hughes'.

Hughes' +1 isn't even as good as Boeser's was.
That didn’t stop a lot of people from saying don’t get too excited about EP. He’s too skinny for the NHL was one concern.
We will see. And Boeser is another one who people said not to get too exited about. The bottom line is that every prospect is different. Rob Schremp busting has nothing to do with Hughes. I don’t see why people can’t get excited about a prospect who a lot of non Canuck writers are predicting could be one of the top players of the tournament.
Is he a guaranteed top pairing guy?
No. Does he have the potential to be the most exciting defenseman we’ve ever had? Absolutely.
Screw it! I’m excited.
:laugh:

Last edited:

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC
Yeah if I'm ranking D+1 seasons, it's:

Pettersson
Boeser
Hughes

Quinn has been excellent but hasn't absolutely dominated like Pettersson and (to a lesser extent) Boeser did.

I'd be willing to bet that he has the best WJC of the three, though.

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia

You also need to factor in that Hughes is playing on a worse team compared to Pettersson and Boeser.

Both Pettersson and Boeser moved up to higher leagues and still managed to score at a higher rate (not league adjusted, in general) than they did in their draft year. Both were also the best players on the eventual championship winning teams.

Hughes is progressing adequately. Gets scored on a ton but I guess it's okay if you're over P/G. I like him, he's going to be a good player, but there's a significant difference. And go ahead, be excited about him -- I am too. But trumpeting a player as some bonafide elite talent based on a warm-up game to a meaningless tournament is insane.

Last edited:

logan5

May 24, 2011
Vancouver - Mt. Pleasant

Pettersson
Boeser
Hughes

Quinn has been excellent but hasn't absolutely dominated like Pettersson and (to a lesser extent) Boeser did.

What should his numbers be to be the equivalent of Boeser? He played a year at Michigan before he was even drafted and had a pretty good year, now he's leading his team in scoring in his d+1.

Are there any recent NCAA comparables we can look at?

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
What should his numbers be to be the equivalent of Boeser? He played a year at Michigan before he was even drafted and had a pretty good year, now he's leading his team in scoring in his d+1.

Are there any recent NCAA comparables we can look at?

Werenski is a good comparable for production and development in his draft and d+1 seasons, but he played with Connor, Compher, and Motte.

Brock Boeser Laser Show

Sep 27, 2017
Who knows if Hughes ever becomes a #1 defenseman as its really hard to predict until he has some NHL seasons under his belt. I think I will just enjoy the fact that Hughes offers a unique skill set that we haven't really seen since Ehrhoff. If we are down a goal in the 3rd period I know I want this kid playing half of it because he can transition the puck and beat a trap.

JT Milker

Mar 24, 2018
Both Pettersson and Boeser moved up to higher leagues and still managed to score at a higher rate (not league adjusted, in general) than they did in their draft year. Both were also the best players on the eventual championship winning teams.

Hughes is progressing adequately. Gets scored on a ton but I guess it's okay if you're over P/G. I like him, he's going to be a good player, but there's a significant difference. And go ahead, be excited about him -- I am too. But trumpeting a player as some bonafide elite talent based on a warm-up game to a meaningless tournament is insane.

Pettersson put up one of the best non-NHL d+1s in history, no argument there. I think there are too many variables to prove that Boeser had a better d+1 though, both have elite ppg (so far) and one had significantly higher qual comp while the other has a crappy +/-... not very conclusive.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010

Pettersson
Boeser
Hughes

Less than Petterson and Boeser d1 puts Hughes in company with 90 plus percent of prospects. Petterson's d1 was record breaking while Boeser's was not far behind for where he was picked. Hughes is not done this year. For all we know he may lead the Canucks to the playoffs in the last 10 games of the year. He could still dominate and surprise.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
Less than Petterson and Boeser d1 puts Hughes in company with 90 plus percent of prospects. Petterson's d1 was record breaking while Boeser's was not far behind for where he was picked. Hughes is not done this year. For all we know he may lead the Canucks to the playoffs in the last 10 games of the year. He could still dominate and surprise.

Lmao.

Is Hughes the most overrated prospect of all time? Maybe druken. Starting to sound like he's a leafs prospect the way people are talking about him.

Lead the Canucks to the playoffs this year... Jesus Christ.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010

I wasn’t aware Hughes solves every single issue we have to help us make playoffs.

Reactions: geebaan

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Hughes appearance on the Canuck blueline will be game-changing. Canucks have never in their 50 year history had anyone like him. A rushing d-man with elite-level skating and vision who drives the offense from the back-end. He'll make every forward on the ice that much more dangerous.

And unless his Michigan team is just playing 'rope a dope' in the first half of the season, the Quinn Hughes era in VanCity starts at least by mid-March.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Pretty impressed over all with his game tonight. Skating is unreal. Needs to become stronger but that will likely come with age. He certainly has that wow factor that we were told to expect.
Going to be fun to see him with EP and Boeser.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad