Prospect Info: Quinn Hughes, Pt. III

Status
Not open for further replies.

topched88

Jan 21, 2007
Pretty impressed over all with his game tonight. Skating is unreal. Needs to become stronger but that will likely come with age. He certainly has that wow factor that we were told to expect.
Going to be fun to see him with EP and Boeser.

Didn’t get that at all. Don’t feel like he made a big impact on the game, but my expectations for a top 10 pick in his 19yo year are to dominate, and he didn’t.

I have to say I am shocked he’s on the second pairing for 5v5 and the power play. For all the hype I never saw that coming.

Count me as someone who wasn’t very impressed, although he was still solid. He had a great shift in the second period where his skating was on display.

I found he made a couple plays with his skating and hands on the o zone that were impressive but didn’t accomplish much.

I need to see him play a lot more. Limited to 1 game in Michigan, WJHC and world championships last year.

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
I wasn’t aware Hughes solves every single issue we have to help us make playoffs.
Not saying we make the playoffs saying we are at the end of December and season at earliest ends early April. No one knows how the rest of the season goes as it is still tbd. So you cannot really compare with full seasons. Also said even if season is worse than two nhl stars it leaves a lot of room to still be very good.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Was lucky enough to get last minute tickets to the game in Victoria.

Hughes wasn't logging crazy minutes like he'd be used to in Michigan, so I feel like it took him several shifts to get into gear. For some reason was on PP2 (Mikey Anderson did score in essentially his spot on the PP1 though). Did not play PK. Was not out there in the last few minutes when up 1 goal in the third.

His skating is absolutely unreal. Deceptively excellent acceleration. Looks absolutely effortless doing hard turns that would break most players ankles if they even thought about trying them. Made some really nice passes, lugged the puck out of the zone with ease, had a couple nice stick plays to break up a 3 on 1 and potential 2 on 1.

On the less rosy side of things, I completely understand why Miller/Samuelsson were taking the harder defensive matchups/PK assignments instead of Hughes. On multiple occasions the opposition got in deep and were working the boards and there was nothing Hughes could do physically to combat them—he pretty much relies on his anticipation/stick positioning to try and prevent getting stuck having to go into a corner with a 6'3 200 pound guy. The downside to some of the insane moves he's making is that 15% of the time where it doesn't work and it's a good chance the other way—this is just something you have to take when you're getting someone this good at getting the puck out of his zone on his own overall.

Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
Didn’t get that at all. Don’t feel like he made a big impact on the game, but my expectations for a top 10 pick in his 19yo year are to dominate, and he didn’t.

I have to say I am shocked he’s on the second pairing for 5v5 and the power play. For all the hype I never saw that coming.

Count me as someone who wasn’t very impressed, although he was still solid. He had a great shift in the second period where his skating was on display.

I found he made a couple plays with his skating and hands on the o zone that were impressive but didn’t accomplish much.

I need to see him play a lot more. Limited to 1 game in Michigan, WJHC and world championships last year.

Well, you are certainly special with that opinion

topched88

Jan 21, 2007
Well, you are certainly special with that opinion

Does special mean I actually form my opinion based on watching rather than blindly pumping tires of our prospects? He did not dominate just so you know cause it sounds like you missed the game!

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012

Him being on the 2nd unit is just a dumb decision by the coach, nothing he can do about that. Slovakia played a very difficult defensive neutral zone game i absolutely hate that style of hockey, they generated almost nothing offensively and it seemed the game plan was to play defensively and hope for a bounce off the rush, not a good way to coach imo. USA controlled most of the game but shots were either blocked or slovakia's goalie made the save. Quinn looked fine imo and you could still see the high end talent on some plays.

After every world jr i feel like I am always on here since the micro analyzing that occurs after limited viewings after each game is fine and people are entitled to it but people also form such strong opinions on a game by game basis, its fun to do post game writeup's but unfortunately its not a good way to form opinions without watching a player for a large number of games imo, a prospect being able to impress or not impress you after one game especially in a tournament like this is always going to be a crapshoot.

A players regular season is by far more important to me, I dont get high or low on prospects after world jr's, especially after the complaining about pettersson and boeser prior seasons. Its a random tournament where players are thrown together for a few weeks on lop sided teams. If our prospects play well its a bonus, if they do not as long as they do well in there regular season league's the wjc games are almost irrelevant to me. A players regular season performance imo has been a much better indicator of future success. I actually spent hours arguing with someone on here before the draft who did shift by shift video's of petterssons first wjc and used it to show why he did not want us to draft pettersson.

The denmark/canada game every player looks good on team canada and i am sure every fanbase with prospects is impressed with how each player dominated.

Last edited:
Reactions: Canadian Club

topched88

Jan 21, 2007
Him being on the 2nd unit is just a dumb decision by the coach, nothing he can do about that. Slovakia played a very difficult defensive neutral zone game i absolutely hate that style of hockey, they generated almost nothing offensively and it seemed the game plan was to play defensively and hope for a bounce off the rush, not a good way to coach imo. USA controlled most of the game but shots were either blocked or slovakia's goalie made the save. Quinn looked fine imo.

After every world jr i feel like I am always on here since the micro analyzing that occurs after limited viewings after each game is fine and people are entitled to it but people also form such strong opinions on a game by game basis, its fun to do post game writeup's but unfortunately its not a good way to form opinions without watching a player for a large number of games imo, a prospect being able to impress or not impress you after one game especially in a tournament like this is always going to be a crapshoot.

A players regular season is by far more important to me, I dont get high or low on prospects after world jr's, especially after the complaining about pettersson and boeser prior seasons. Its a random tournament where players are thrown together for a few weeks on lop sided teams. If our prospects play well its a bonus, if they do not as long as they do well in there regular season league's the wjc games are almost irrelevant to me. A players regular season performance imo has been a much better indicator of future success.

The denmark/canada game every player looks good on team canada.

Couldn’t agree more, that’s why I qualified it by saying I’ve not seen much of him in Michigan this year, or in Michigan in general to be honest. Few games last year one this year then international tournaments.

dKs89

Oct 22, 2016

Did you watch the game at all lol?

In the second period almost all of the USA's offense came through him. Whether it was rushing the puck up the ice himself, or making a move to get by the first fore-checker and then making a clean breakout pass.

Nearly everyone in the gameday thread thought he was a standout player.

Just an absurd post ignoring reality.

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
What's wrong with his opinion? He said that Hughes had a solid, but not dominant game, which seemed consistent with what the other two posters here said about him.
Never said his opinions was wrong, just pointing out that he’s like the first person I’ve saw who doesn’t like Quinn’s game tonight.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
To add the the point about Slovakia's defensive gameplay—they were definitely playing to try and eke out a tie knowing they were outclassed. They didn't even pull their goalie down 2-1 late in the third and honestly they probably didn't want to risk the goal differential.

topched88

Jan 21, 2007
Never said his opinions was wrong, just pointing out that he’s like the first person I’ve saw who doesn’t like Quinn’s game tonight.

Feel free to show me where I said I didn’t like his game tonight, won’t hold my breath

topched88

Jan 21, 2007
Didn’t you just say he didn’t impressed you?

What I said was, that my expectations for a player like him (offensive d man drafted in top 10, in his d+1 year) in this tournament would be to be dominant, and relative to those expectations, he didn’t impress me, although he had a solid game. Which I then further followed up by saying I need to see him play more...

There’s a difference between that and me saying I didn’t like his game or he played poorly.

Reactions: elwin316

just22

Aug 2, 2009
Didn’t you just say he didn’t impressed you?

Didnt impress is a bit different from didn't like.

He looked good but not great. He’s a guy that will be on the ice when the team is down by one, but on the bench when the team is up by one late in the game.

He’s not strictly one dimensional but I just can’t ever see him be a number 1 defenseman. Sorry.

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
To add, I watched the game and thought Hughes looked pretty good, but also I do feel pretty uneasy about how he projects. As Tim mentioned, his skating is top notch. While he doesn't have high to end speed, his edge work and acceleration is as good as it gets. His passing is good but he is prone to making poor passes. I thought he lacked some urgency in the defensive zone and that his gap control wasn't great.

Super entertaining prospect, but has a pretty high "bust" potential for a top ten pick in my opinion.​

Reactions: Robongo01

Westcoastsniper

Sep 25, 2008
I wasn’t aware Hughes solves every single issue we have to help us make playoffs.

Speaking of this season, theoretically Hughes would have made the Canucks PP better. Using his skating/agility to open up more space for Boeser / Pettersson, who this year have been covered hard with teams leaving Edler open. With all the 1 goal games the Canucks have lost this year, capitalizing on more power plays could make even this years team be on a different path then they are now.

Reactions: Brock Olli Juolevi

Westcoastsniper

Sep 25, 2008
To add, I watched the game and thought Hughes looked pretty good, but also I do feel pretty uneasy about how he projects. As Tim mentioned, his skating is top notch. While he doesn't have high to end speed, his edge work and acceleration is as good as it gets. His passing is good but he is prone to making poor passes. I thought he lacked some urgency in the defensive zone and that his gap control wasn't great.

Super entertaining prospect, but has a pretty high "bust" potential for a top ten pick in my opinion.​

I saw a few plays with SVK 2 on 1 and 3 on 1 on Hughes, with him closing the gap quickly to turn the puck loose and negated scoring chances.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Speaking of this season, theoretically Hughes would have made the Canucks PP better. Using his skating/agility to open up more space for Boeser / Pettersson, who this year have been covered hard with teams leaving Edler open. With all the 1 goal games the Canucks have lost this year, capitalizing on more power plays could make even this years team be on a different path then they are now.

Hughes is a bit of an adventure in his own end from what I saw. And there was a play in specific where he was manhandled off the puck downlow.

You can’t really attribute what he would bring to the team, by talking about one single aspect of a hockey game and not addressing the rest.

Reactions: Westcoastsniper

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Hughes appearance on the Canuck blueline will be game-changing. Canucks have never in their 50 year history had anyone like him. A rushing d-man with elite-level skating and vision who drives the offense from the back-end. He'll make every forward on the ice that much more dangerous.
Kiril Koltsov?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad