Status
Not open for further replies.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
1st over
Best player on the ice-Quinn hughes
Best defender- samulsson(?)

I know i am a canucks fan, so that by default makes me bias.

But if you see Quinn is doing every single shift live, It would be as excited as me.

Crowd is about 70% full, They are buzzing every time quinn is on the ice.

I counted at least four times were he absolutely blew by people.

You have to see the skating live to really believe it.

I have seen a ton of quinn play, but never live until today.

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
1st over

But if you see Quinn is doing every single shift live, It would be as excited as me.

Skating on TV looks good..but not THAT great....
Slick feet? pivots well? what stands out?

Dr Good Vibes

Jan 18, 2010
1st over

Omg I’m so excited for this prospect, so damn dynamic,

Hughesurdaddy

Dec 23, 2018
Hi guys, long time lurker, thought I would add my Hughes thoughts with the same bias acknowledgment as Luc gave.

Quinn was worth the price of admission for me. His turns are just ridiculous. Guys will chase him in his own zone, he shifts one way then quickly turns back the other and leaves the opposition in his dust. There was one instance of this tonight where the opposing player was able to keep with him for a bit, so he his did the save move the opposite way and the opposing player fell trying to keep with him. All that is fairly par for the course if you have seen him play at Michigan, but seeing it live is something else.

A few more points based on this one game against peers his age: There are times at Michigan where I've wondered what his acceleration really is, he's usually so smooth it almost looks like he isn't giving that much effort. There was one instance tonight where he turned in his own end and spotted a lane up the middle, he exploded out of his zone which literally left the Czech fans in front of me gasping. He is stronger than I thought, particularly when his legs are moving. There were numerous times where the bigger opposing player would be leaning on him, or trying to manhandle him as he tried to escape but he would shield the puck with his off hand and glide away.

Defensively from what I've noticed is that he is really good with his stick and uses that as his main defensive weapon. This can leave him vulnerable when he misses the puck. Something to look for. That said there was one play where Zadina was trying to take him wide, Quinn turned slightly lifted Zadina's stick, then kicked the puck up to his own stick and skated away. Definitely not your typical man. Finally, he doesn't take much from the opposition. He mixed it up once in the second that led to a brewhaha between the teams. He then proceeded to yap at the Czech player for about 30 seconds in the box. Then there was the fight in the third. What the video didn't show is that Jack got hit and hurt what looked to be his shoulder. As he skated past Quinn bent over towards the bench, Quinn almost got caught looking at him while the play continued. He ended up going after the guy then the fight started. Entertaining game all around.

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
Hi guys, long time lurker, thought I would add my Hughes thoughts with the same bias acknowledgment as Luc gave.

Quinn was worth the price of admission for me. His turns are just ridiculous. Guys will chase him in his own zone, he shifts one way then quickly turns back the other and leaves the opposition in his dust. There was one instance of this tonight where the opposing player was able to keep with him for a bit, so he his did the save move the opposite way and the opposing player fell trying to keep with him. All that is fairly par for the course if you have seen him play at Michigan, but seeing it live is something else.

A few more points based on this one game against peers his age: There are times at Michigan where I've wondered what his acceleration really is, he's usually so smooth it almost looks like he isn't giving that much effort. There was one instance tonight where he turned in his own end and spotted a lane up the middle, he exploded out of his zone which literally left the Czech fans in front of me gasping. He is stronger than I thought, particularly when his legs are moving. There were numerous times where the bigger opposing player would be leaning on him, or trying to manhandle him as he tried to escape but he would shield the puck with his off hand and glide away.

Defensively from what I've noticed is that he is really good with his stick and uses that as his main defensive weapon. This can leave him vulnerable when he misses the puck. Something to look for. That said there was one play where Zadina was trying to take him wide, Quinn turned slightly lifted Zadina's stick, then kicked the puck up to his own stick and skated away. Definitely not your typical man. Finally, he doesn't take much from the opposition. He mixed it up once in the second that led to a brewhaha between the teams. He then proceeded to yap at the Czech player for about 30 seconds in the box. Then there was the fight in the third. What the video didn't show is that Jack got hit and hurt what looked to be his shoulder. As he skated past Quinn bent over towards the bench, Quinn almost got caught looking at him while the play continued. He ended up going after the guy then the fight started. Entertaining game all around.

He's going to be a #1 defence man.

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017

So basically what you’re telling us is that Hughes is a combination of Bobby Orr and Rick Rypien?

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Cant wait to wtch him in games that matter.
will see him in the quarters and as long as the US stay alive which i suspect should be at least the semis

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
He's going to be a huge addition to our young core, will likely play 20-25 mins a game.

ErrantShepherd

Nostalgic despite the Bad
Dec 2, 2018
...Canada, eh?

Well, there's the hit on Jack followed by Quinn stepping up as the big brother... :yo:

Damnit, now I actually do really want Jack too, just to see that brotherly comradery and defending each other.
Jack really seems to want to play alongside his brother as well. :puppy:

...definitely makes Quinn come across as a good teammate.

Reactions: Tv9924

Steely Van

Oct 12, 2018
Well, there's the hit on Jack followed by Quinn stepping up as the big brother... :yo:

Damnit, now I actually do really want Jack too, just to see that brotherly comradery and defending each other.
Jack really seems to want to play alongside his brother as well. :puppy:

...definitely makes Quinn come across as a good teammate.

If we don't get Jack and a Canuck hits Jack. Will Quinn beat up his own Canuck teammate? I think Quinn is willing to die for his brother.

Reactions: ErrantShepherd

Steely Van

Oct 12, 2018

Did you see him when he broke a Czeck players ankles tonight? Peteys not the only one who can do it.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
I posted this in the world Junior championships thread, but a few people told me to post it here also because the game was not on TV so here it is.

Cheers.

FULL SUMMARY of the game.

PS - I am a canucks fan, so In theory I should have a bias towards Canucks prospects.
While I am a fan of a lot of players, My opinion of Quinn for example has nothing 2 do that he is a Canucks prospect (other than the fact we are blessed), and it's my honest opinion on him THIS game.
(also the plays I am missing out with descriptions are players I simply did not see or focus on, so no comment)

Ryan Poehling - Had a good first perioid, he was skating really well and created a few offensive rushes.
Solid effort overall, but faded as the game went on. 6/10

Josh Norris - Very average game, I barely noticed him on the ice. Was hoping and expecting more from him overall. 4/10

Tyler Madden - First of all, the guy looks like a skeleton. Might be the skinnest player on the ice, and it showed.
While he had some nice moments where he drove the net which was surprising, he had issues along board battles and focused on using stick work to get out of situations. I thought his effort and compete was good, so overall was average.
5/10

Jack Hughes - Jack Hughes overall had a disapointing game. While his skill level was evident with the way he skates and how incredibly agile he is when he is skating, I thought he through to many passes in pointless spots, and tried to do a bit to much himself. He was actually falling off as the game went on, and overall had a tough test. That being said, I am not worried what so ever, I think over time in the tourney he will figure it out and be a solid part of USA.
4/10

Oliver Wahlstrom - Maybe the best game I have seen him play, live or on TV. While he was not out-skating anybody, he got into good positions and as a sniper he made the BEST out of his opportunities. His job is to score goals, and he had a few chances and made sure they were in the back of the net. If he plays like this all tourney, lots of people will not care about how bad his season has been so far.
9/10

Jason Robertson - I do not know a lot about him, but he seemed to be involved a lot in the game. Unfortunately it was for the other team, because he had a really poor game overall.
His skating, acceleration especially is not even AHL material, and I really hope he finds a skating coach to help him fix these issues.
That being said, he was competing, and showing no problems getting into the dirty areas, but he clearly had issues keeping up with the pace of the game.
3/10

Quinn Hughes - Okay, I know what you are thinking, but before you say what you are thinking, go to the top of the post and let me repeat, this is not a summary of him because I am a Canucks fan, just a observer of his game.

Quinn in the 1st period looked like Bobby Orr, While you get the laughter out of your head, I am not saying he is going to be ORR or Erik Karlsson, etc. Because Quinn is unlike any Defender I have ever seen in watching over 25 years of hockey.

Just in the first 10 minutes alone, he had two assists.
The first goal was a god awful turnover that he saw coming and after he got the puck, passed it to Oliver tape to tape, easy enough.

Before the second goal, Quinn had the puck behind his net, and within 3 seconds it felt, he's already in the offensive zone going through at least 2/3 people, eventually giving the puck to Oliver for another goal.
Everybody on HF Boards has to watch this kid play, I saw him countless times on TV and was amazed, and then I saw him live and all I was thinking was. What? HOW? WTF? jesus!.

Quinn on another occasion im the third period, he had two guys on him, the first guy he did a SPIN MOVE and completely blew by 1 guy, then he skated passed the red line into the offensive zone, another guy was chasing after him and he did ANOTHER spin move, so smooth and made a rocket pass across the ice to Oliver who got a shot off. The crowd was chanting his name a bit after JUST this play alone. It's not over yet...

The entire crowd was buzzing everything he touched the puck. Quinn had multiple guys on him over a half a dozen times in the defensive zone and he absolutely BLEW by all of them with ease.
I cannot stress this enough, he would grab the puck, do a fake head-bob and accelerate by the opposition without looking like he is breaking a sweat.

Even his passes were crisp as hell, the crowd was on there feet, it was something to see.
Also like to mention he had two "fights" both DEFENDING teammates after they got cheap shotted.
Quinn was trash talking in the bench, crowd loved that also.
Quinn is a player I have no comparable in the NHL too, his shot is a muffin, but his playmaking reminds me of like a johhny hockey or marner but on defense, absolutely elite talent, will be a top 5/10 defender in the league in the next 7-10 years.
This is by far the best game I have seen Quinn play, on TV or Live.
10/10

Mattias Samuelson - This kid had a great game, While he won't put up much points, his defensive work was very good tonight. He won countless board battles, made strong crisp passes, had a few big hits where the crowd reacted.
He did have 1 bad turnover, but overall, he was the 2nd best defender on USA.
7.5/10

OTHERS - Zadina is huge, the guy owned the puck on countless occasions making other defenders look silly, he had one in and out move (similar to what Horvat/toews/bergeron) do, and blew by a few guys in the process just missing a goal. He seemed to be alone on an island, but he showcased his skill very much so. I really enjoyed him play.
8/10

Here are a few plays by quinn, This gentleman records the second half of the spin move in but not the first one but still pretty incredible just watching it again.

Here are both his flights

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad