Prospect Info: Quinn Hughes, Pt. III

Status
Not open for further replies.

forty47seven

May 2, 2009
Purely out of curiosity, has a CHL/USHL player ever joined an NCAA team part way through a season? It's possible they could step in for spring semester, no? We've seen it happen in the opposite direction with guys like Coyle and Bracco heading to the CHL from college.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Purely out of curiosity, has a CHL/USHL player ever joined an NCAA team part way through a season? It's possible they could step in for spring semester, no? We've seen it happen in the opposite direction with guys like Coyle and Bracco heading to the CHL from college.

Well, a CHL player would be unable to, as they violate NCAA amateur status.

I suppose a USHL player could, but I'm unfamiliar with the process.

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia

If you play a single CHL game, you're ineligible to go to the NCAA.

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

If you play a CHL game you can’t play in the NCAAs.

If you are playing in the USHL and want to go to NCAA midseason, my guess is that there is an NCAA rule that prohibits that.

Even without such a rule, the main issue is admissions. Most schools don’t have rolling admissions for first year students. If you aren’t going to have the necessary credits to enter in the Fall then you won’t be accepted. There are also limited scholarships schools can give out and schools don’t typically give one out for a player to play half a year even if a coach leaves one unused. There’s the process of applying to be a student athlete. Essentially even if there isn’t a specific rule, it’s a huge mess to make it work.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado

Nope
NCAA rules don't allow it

You can if you are a walk on from the school. AKA you are enrolled at the university. But again you can't have ever been paid.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
McGuire on tanking for Jack Hughes "He's not McKinnon, he's not McDavid, he's not Matthews, I think it's a reach to call him a generational player, a big reach." McGuire goes on to add he is a good player and will make a difference, but he's not a generational talent.

Co-host Mitch Gallo threw Hischier's name out there as a comparable, McGuire agreed, Jack Hughes is that level of a star.

Reactions: lindgren

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
McGuire on tanking for Jack Hughes "He's not McKinnon, he's not McDavid, he's not Matthews, I think it's a reach to call him a generational player, a big reach." McGuire goes on to add he is a good player and will make a difference, but he's not a generational talent.

Co-host Mitch Gallo threw Hischier's name out there as a comparable, McGuire agreed, Jack Hughes is that level of a star.
So, we should tank one more year then?

Cancuks

Former Exalted Ruler
Jan 13, 2014
At the EI office

I thought he was being compared to Patrick Kane. Which would be definitely worth tanking for if we could add that level of player to the mix.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

I don’t think McKinnon was considered a generational talent or even in the same class as McDavid and Matthews. He definitely was a talented #1 in a deep draft.

I think Jack Hughes is a talented player and he’s going to be a star. Obviously having both Jack and Quinn here would be amazing.

BlueGreen

Jan 3, 2018
I thought he was being compared to Patrick Kane. Which would be definitely worth tanking for if we could add that level of player to the mix.
As much as It would be incredible to even have the opportunity to draft JH, the chances of getting him are going to be very difficult. We would have to get extremely lucky. I think one of the next best things to getting a star player like this without giving up anything other than cash is in free agency.
Signing a player like Panarin would be outstanding. He and EP could be a dynamic duo on the first line. It might take a lot of cash and convincing to get a player like that to play on our current roster, but it’s worth a shot.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
"Going up against Jack and Quinn Hughes is the toughest chore I have ever faced. They have such amazing hockey IQ, but to me the biggest thing is their skating ability. The way they can turn and gain speed and how explosive they are in every part of the ice. Whoever taught them how to skate ... I want to go to that person. They are unreal players, and every part of their game is pretty special."

Matias Samuelson

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
I don’t think McKinnon was considered a generational talent or even in the same class as McDavid and Matthews. He definitely was a talented #1 in a deep draft.

I think Jack Hughes is a talented player and he’s going to be a star. Obviously having both Jack and Quinn here would be amazing.

If I recall Mackinnon wasn't even thought of as the definitive No. 1 choice in 2013, at least not here on HF Boards. I thought that year as a bit more of a "grey area year", I don't think anyone ever really referred to Mackinnon as a generational talent pre-draft (or even now).

Jack Hughes seems to be having a little bit of a let down year statistically, this is coming from someone who hasn't seen him play this year though mind you. I am going to be keeping a very close eye on him at the WJC tournament.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014

I know some posters believe that hockey players attend university to major in NCAA men's hockey. The reality is they're still attending classes and need to achieve the grades to continue to earn their hockey scholarships. So if any kid outside the university hasn't previously registered and actually showed up for classes, they can't simply walk in off the street.

So no, nobody from the CHL or the USHL is likely to ever transition from their club team to a NCAA University team at any point in the season.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
The NCAA considers the CHL to be professional leagues, so those players are ineligible.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
The NCAA considers the CHL to be professional leagues, so those players are ineligible.

Not necessarily professional since you can't make a living off CHL money. You just can't get paid at all. You could get a bribe from a college and be deemed ineligible for the NCAA too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad