Quinn Hughes Mega thread: Top in points, Norris consideration, MVP and Canucks fans hearts

dmac7719

Apr 27, 2018
Ontario
The thing that shows Quinn has been better than Makar are people like you and several Avs fans who go out of their way to insert themselves in Quinn and nucks threads pumping Cales tires or when Cale went on his brief run that got him back in the race or when he broke a record they flooded thread related to Quinn. When Quinn set a record Avs fans made their way to Quinn threads pumping Cales tires
The level of insecurity and trolling only shows how much Quinn is in their heads.
You're on the general boards. Of course there will be people that bring in other players to those type of threads. If you want an echo chamber, stick to the team board.

nucksflailtogether

Oct 15, 2017
Hughes is doing great things this year on a stacked Canucks team but he will never be considered as good as Makar by anyone who actually watches and understand hockey. Makar is the total package, a true 2 way defenseman that is elite on both ends. Hughes is not.
Aka, he’s too short for your liking.

Buck Naked

Can't-Stand-Ya
Aug 18, 2016
My point was, does the NHL actually track a turnover stat? Different from giveaways? Also, the notion that Hughes has the puck more than everyone else and the gap is huge. Not sure what backs that up as I’m not sure there is an actual stat that tracks that either….any stats out there on that are going to be questionable as it’s something that’s been looked at but not fully there yet

Of course it's tracked. Everything that's happening on the ice is tracked. Most micro stats are hidden behind paywalls though.

The puck possession stat was shared a few weeks ago. Not sure how it looks today.

Reactions: jd22

Toby91ca

Oct 17, 2022
The thing that shows Quinn has been better than Makar are people like you and several Avs fans who go out of their way to insert themselves in Quinn and nucks threads pumping Cales tires or when Cale went on his brief run that got him back in the race or when he broke a record they flooded thread related to Quinn.
Look...I know this isn't directed at me as I haven't said much in this thread at all, but it's a curious comment. I will be blunt....I have zero bias for either of these guys....I tend to think Makar is the better player, but I don't feel super strongly either way, that's simply my opinion.

The strange thing though.... you seem to suggest the thing that shows Quinn has been better is people coming into a Quinn thread and saying Makar is better? What does that mean? I guess you are trying to suggest Makar's fans have Quinn on the brain...they know he's better so they need to infiltrate Quinn threads to try and knock him down to pump up Makar to try and secure the spot for him.....that's pretty far fetched. I'm sure there are loads of fans on both sides here that will argue why their guy is better and be blind to things that make the other better (simple bias)....that's fine and people can argue or disagree on those things....but I don't see how this in one of those things that makes Quinn better. I'll give an example. In the 80's, most years I would have thought Gretzky was the best (no bias, not my favourite, simple opinion, he as the best). If there was a thread about Paul Statsny and how he was the best....I'd certainly come in and disagree and pump Gretzky's tires and argue how he's better....that's not a good argument as to why Statsny is better.

The fact that this discussion is happening sounds like a good thing for fans of both guys because it wouldn't be happening if both guys weren't great players. Sort of the thing with Crosby and Ovechkin....hard to talk about one without turning it into something about the other.....which kind of shows how great both have been.

The other thing.....I think Makar is better right now.....doesn't mean if Quinn goes on to get better and better every year and turns out to be the obvious better player over their careers I was wrong. Firstly, it's opinion anyway, but it's also at a point in time....I might think Quinn is better by the end of the year, by next year, or I might think Makar is WAY BETTER by end of the year, by next year, etc....or, I might just think the same thing....it's close.

Toby91ca

Oct 17, 2022
Of course it's tracked. Everything that's happening on the ice is tracked. Most micro stats are hidden behind paywalls though.

The puck possession stat was shared a few weeks ago. Not sure how it looks today.

I know the stat exists, I've seen and heard people talk about it during games as well....I just don't know how good it is or how well it's tracked, it's not official....so some buildings it may get tracked well, other buildings not at all, etc.

Play

Time to play the game
Nov 12, 2021
Russia
You're on the general boards. Of course there will be people that bring in other players to those type of threads. If you want an echo chamber, stick to the team board.
The goal is to have a echochamber on the main boards

Buck Naked

Can't-Stand-Ya
Aug 18, 2016
I know the stat exists, I've seen and heard people talk about it during games as well....I just don't know how good it is or how well it's tracked, it's not official....so some buildings it may get tracked well, other buildings not at all, etc.

They're extremely official and tracked by Sportlogiq and other companies used by the NHL teams to get their information. They're just not publicly available. Do you think that your xGF from Naturalstattrick is better tracked?

TropicOfNoReturn

May 30, 2021
Hughes is doing great things this year on a stacked Canucks team but he will never be considered as good as Makar by anyone who actually watches and understand hockey Avalanche games. Makar is the total package, a true 2 way defenseman that is elite on both ends. Hughes is not.
Fixed it for you.

The idea that Hughes isn't elite defensively and a complete 200-ft player is ludicrous at this point. People are drawing off of watching him 3-4 years ago when the Canucks were a complete shitshow, and Hughes was self-admittedly still finding his way.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado

That's true of any stat including takeaways and giveaways and hits for instance.

Reactions: wetcoast

CpatainCanuck

Sep 18, 2008
Hughes is doing great things this year on a stacked Canucks team but he will never be considered as good as Makar by anyone who actually watches and understand hockey. Makar is the total package, a true 2 way defenseman that is elite on both ends. Hughes is not.
A bit funny to belittle Hughes' accomplishments this season because he is playing on a "stacked Canucks team" while at the same time boosting your guy Makar, who has played on a stacked Avalanche team his entire career.

Last edited:

Oak

Apr 22, 2012
MA
Fixed it for you.

The idea that Hughes isn't elite defensively and a complete 200-ft player is ludicrous at this point. People are drawing off of watching him 3-4 years ago when the Canucks were a complete shitshow, and Hughes was self-admittedly still finding his way.
You mean back when Tanev was carrying him and making his defensive play seem decent instead of atrocious? When Quinn starts PKing and getting defensive zone draws in tight games I wiill consider his game as improving into a true 200ft defenseman. Right now is just a 4th winger, albeit one who can't do much in his own zone.

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
You mean back when Tanev was carrying him and making his defensive play seem decent instead of atrocious? When Quinn starts PKing and getting defensive zone draws in tight games I wiill consider his game as improving into a true 200ft defenseman. Right now is just a 4th winger, albeit one who can't do much in his own zone.

If Quinn starts getting those minutes too he would play the entire game.....

Reactions: geebster

Buck Naked

Can't-Stand-Ya
Aug 18, 2016
When Quinn starts PKing and getting defensive zone draws in tight games I wiill consider his game as improving into a true 200ft defenseman. Right now is just a 4th winger, albeit one who can't do much in his own zone.

Is this someone's troll account? Surely no one could write this with a straight face. Unless the kid slept with your mother or something?

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022
Quinn does PK and is very often out in the last minute. 5on5 he plays the toughest minutes, what part of this don't you get? He +34 and is not started specifically in the ozone, to shelter him. He will often get double shifted so he can get extra ozone starts, that's not because he's sheltered it's because he's a figgen offensive dynamo. Hate to break it to you but head to head Quinn is ahead I'm more advanced stats than Cale and hes got a large lead on overall impact to teammates meaning he effects them not the other way around, Cale not so much.
TSN just did a Norris race video, it's all there for you to see.

Avs #1 in goals Cale +11, nucks #2 Quinn +34. Care to explain why that is cuz what it shows is Quinn against the same top lines Cale would face 3× better goal differential 5on5.

Reactions: Bgav

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Wild that this guy has doubled down with years of evidence and quantifiable data of his improvement

His posting history literally shows him complaining about hughes plus/minus but now he is silent on the matter.

And zone starts still debunks his idiotic embarrassing argument

Last edited:

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Man this is just such a bad take showing either a complete lack of watching Quinn play or a pre existing bias not based in reality.

I'm a Canucks fan but not a pure homer by any means and was skeptical on draft day how Quinn would develop defensively and Canuck fans are extremely happy to say the least.

Ace of Hades

#Demko4Vezina
Apr 27, 2010
Oregon
You are an embarrassment. Just stop posting your bad takes on a milestone thread.

avsfan2189

Jun 22, 2019
It's going to always look biased because of my username, but I've said before it's hard to award a defensemen (in my eyes) if he can't even play a decent amount on the PK. Even when Josi had that unreal year he hardly played PK, and I wasnt even liking that Karlsson won it last year (he didnt play PK at all). At least Fox plays the PK and did the year he won it. I'm not saying Makar should win it every year but at least the defensmen that win it above him should be playing all situations before being annointed as superior or having the better year.

Defensemen like Keith, Doughty, Hedman all won it in years they played the PK. Canucks fans can make all the excuses they want but it's just not enough to warrant a Norris over a guy like Makar due to no PK time (he's averaging 47 seconds).

For the record I'm not like other posters who will bash Hughes, he's actually phenomenal and a great defenseman overall for the sport and is having an exceptional season. My argument is purely for sake of the awards discussion.

Last edited:

eviohh26

Dec 19, 2017
Victoria BC Canada
It's going to always look biased because of my username, but I've said before it's hard to award a defensemen (in my eyes) if he can't even play a decent amount on the PK. Even when Josi had that unreal year he hardly played PK, and I wasnt even liking that Karlsson won it last year (he didnt play PK at all). At least Fox plays the PK and did the year he won it. I'm not saying Makar should win it every year but at least the defensmen that win it above him should be playing all situations before being annointed as superior or having the better year.

Defensemen like Keith, Doughty, Hedman all won it in years they played the PK. Canucks fans can make all the excuses they want but it's just not enough to warrant a Norris over a guy like Makar due to no PK time (he's averaging 47 seconds).

For the record I'm not like other posters who will bash Hughes, he's actually phenomenal and a great defenseman overall for the sport and is having an exceptional season. My argument is purely for sake of the awards discussion.
Last thing the Canucks want is Hughes to block shots on the PK and get injured. We have better options for that. The he doesn't PK so he shouldn't win argument only comes from Av fans. He has been better than any other Dman this year and for that reason he deserves to win. Still alot of hockey left but if it ended today, I have a hard time seeing anyone else win over Hughes.

Reactions: Raistlin

Play

Time to play the game
Nov 12, 2021
Russia
Last thing the Canucks want is Hughes to block shots on the PK and get injured. We have better options for that. The he doesn't PK so he shouldn't win argument only comes from Av fans. He has been better than any other Dman this year and for that reason he deserves to win. Still alot of hockey left but if it ended today, I have a hard time seeing anyone else win over Hughes.
Laugh react all you want, but don’t actually engage. One it’s pointless, their whole shtick is to get replies. And they will lie to do it

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015

The year Makar won it he was 5th among D on his team in PK Toi/per game lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad