Quinn Hughes Mega thread: Top in points, Norris consideration, MVP and Canucks fans hearts

avsfan2189

Jun 22, 2019
The year Makar won it he was 5th among D on his team in PK Toi/per game lol
that's misleading since Josh Manson was #4 but he played 22 games, Makar played 77. Take manson out due to games played Makar is top 4.

that's like saying Hughes ranked 8th on his own team that same year if you ignore games played. He ranks 5th if you remove the D who didn't play at least 40 games on that team.

that norris year he got 28 goals, +48, played PP & PK, and avg almost 26 min a game lol

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
that's misleading since Josh Manson was #4 but he played 22 games, Makar played 77. Take manson out due to games played Makar is top 4.

that's like saying Hughes ranked 8th on his own team that same year if you ignore games played. He ranks 5th if you remove the D who didn't play at least 40 games on that team.

that norris year he got 28 goals, +48, played PP & PK, and avg almost 26 min a game lol
He still wasn't logging big minutes on the PK. Fourth in PK time on ice versus fifth in PK time on ice among Dmen on their respective teams using those filters. If you're going to bring up Makar's +48, Hughes is currently sitting at +34, tripling Makar's +11 this year, which is a huge difference.

Reactions: Breakers

eviohh26

Dec 19, 2017
Victoria BC Canada
He still wasn't logging big minutes on the PK. Fourth in PK time on ice versus fifth in PK time on ice among Dmen on their respective teams using those filters. If you're going to bring up Makar's +48, Hughes is currently sitting at +34, tripling Makar's +11 this year, which is a huge difference.
There is really no point arguing with these guys. According to them the only Dman to ever exist that is better than Makar is Orr. And that wont be for long!

• Haha
Reactions: TropicOfNoReturn

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
??? At no point do they want Quinn Hughes to play PK.
At no point SHOULD Quinn Hughes play a regular PK shift, they want to keep his minutes under 25 mins, and he is best utilized at ES and PP, so why sacrifice better usage to satisfy a random that postulates PK minutes = Norris votes?

Since the new year Makar has been averaging 26.5 minutes a game, that is not a positive, that is a lack of able bodies to play heavy minutes for the Avs. In the meantime, Hughes plays 2 less minutes and could be kept fresher for playoffs. Unless there is a minimum minutes played per randoms on the internet, I believe Hughes qualify for Norris notes AND has a chance to contribute more in post season.

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
This whole Makar > Hughes because he plays on the PK argument reminds me of when Hamhuis left the Predators and posters were desperate to come up with reasons why Hamhuis had more SHTOI per game than Weber. In reality, the reason was that Weber couldn't be on the ice the whole game.

Hughes doesn't play on the PK because he's one of the most effective D when carrying the puck, he's far and away the league leader in puck-on-stick offensive possession time, why would you want him diving in front of pucks when Cole or Zadorov can do that?

edit: also, it's incredibly funny that the Makar > Hughes because defensive deployment argument when Makar starts 25% of his shifts in the offensive zone and only 41% on the fly, Hughes starts 57% on the fly and only 18% in the offensive zone.

Additionally Hughes beats Makar in Corsi (61%>55%), Fenwick (59%>55%), and On-Ice Goals% (70.8>59.9).

Last edited:

Duodenum

Jul 7, 2008
East Vancouver
Hughes is so far above the next dman 5on5 that the pk is barely going to register.

As I've said before, Makar being meh on the pk isn't going to jump him over Hughes this year, maybe in another year where they are closer at even strength.

Reactions: Play

Play

Time to play the game
Nov 12, 2021
Russia
Hughes is so far above the next dman 5on5 that the pk is barely going to register.

As I've said before, Makar being meh on the pk isn't going to jump him over Hughes this year, maybe in another year where they are closer at even strength.
Duodenum! Good to see you back and posting again

Reactions: Duodenum

nucksflailtogether

Oct 15, 2017
You mean back when Tanev was carrying him and making his defensive play seem decent instead of atrocious? When Quinn starts PKing and getting defensive zone draws in tight games I wiill consider his game as improving into a true 200ft defenseman. Right now is just a 4th winger, albeit one who can't do much in his own zone.
embarrassing.

Buck Naked

Can't-Stand-Ya
Aug 18, 2016
It's going to always look biased because of my username, but I've said before it's hard to award a defensemen (in my eyes) if he can't even play a decent amount on the PK. Even when Josi had that unreal year he hardly played PK, and I wasnt even liking that Karlsson won it last year (he didnt play PK at all). At least Fox plays the PK and did the year he won it. I'm not saying Makar should win it every year but at least the defensmen that win it above him should be playing all situations before being annointed as superior or having the better year.

Defensemen like Keith, Doughty, Hedman all won it in years they played the PK. Canucks fans can make all the excuses they want but it's just not enough to warrant a Norris over a guy like Makar due to no PK time (he's averaging 47 seconds).

For the record I'm not like other posters who will bash Hughes, he's actually phenomenal and a great defenseman overall for the sport and is having an exceptional season. My argument is purely for sake of the awards discussion.

The 2024 version of "he's no good because he doesn't fight" argument.

One day you will understand how unneccessary it is to play your #1 D on the PK. Especially when he's not even that good at it.

avsfan2189

Jun 22, 2019
??? At no point do they want Quinn Hughes to play PK.
At no point SHOULD Quinn Hughes play a regular PK shift, they want to keep his minutes under 25 mins, and he is best utilized at ES and PP, so why sacrifice better usage to satisfy a random that postulates PK minutes = Norris votes?

Since the new year Makar has been averaging 26.5 minutes a game, that is not a positive, that is a lack of able bodies to play heavy minutes for the Avs. In the meantime, Hughes plays 2 less minutes and could be kept fresher for playoffs. Unless there is a minimum minutes played per randoms on the internet, I believe Hughes qualify for Norris notes AND has a chance to contribute more in post season.

you dont have to sacrifice it at all if you dont want to, it just can't make a convincing case for a norris caliber season over defensemen with similar if not better offensive production AND PK ability. Imagine your best defenseman not being needed for your teams 16th best PK ranking. Avs top 10 in PK and PP with Makar playing big minutes in both.

Its honestly just a box ticking thing. Like I said Hughes is phenomenal and is having a norris caliber season and will be a well deserved nomination. I just have a hard time picking a dman for a norris if he doesn't play PK at any decent rate.

And to the guy picking ont he +/-, that I quoted, that was the easiest one to do ignoring the 28 goals for that year. Every year it's different with a vareity of things.

If ANY dman was top 1-2 in scoring among dmen with = good ES, PP, PK AND let's just say for arguments sake playing 30 minutes a game, you don't think he wouldn't be the winner over a 25 min dman with similar ES and PP but no PK?

It's not healthy on the body lol but it's definitely undeniable

Reactions: Oak

Ribbit

Jul 30, 2022
BC
No points AGAIN tonight by Quinn Hughes :shakehead
And he had that horrid stretch between Jan 28th and Feb 5th, somehow 2 points is enough for people to forget that. Any chance they could trade him while some people still think he's good? Maybe they could get Tanev back for him, I heard he was carrying Quinn when he played for the Canucks last.

Chaos Giraffe

Dec 1, 2004
Vancouver
You can tell when someone has never watched Quinn Hughes play an entire game, when they put up the notion that Hughes is not the the favorite for the Norris trophy (so far this season) just because he doesn't play the PK.

There's no other defenceman this season that controls the play as well as Hughes this year. And it's not even the anti-Karlsson arguments from last year, when he was just putting up gaudy offensive stats while doing not much else. I think there's an argument to be had that, even if you shaved Hughes' production by 25% this year (like remove every "semi-lucky bounce" point he's been a part of), he'd still be the leading Norris candidate.

The whole "4th forward" concept is just so factually incorrect it's not even funny. The only "4th forward" Hughes is contributing, is that the Canucks have so much puck possession when he's on the ice that it feels like they pulled the goalie for the extra forward.

Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

Buck Naked

Can't-Stand-Ya
Aug 18, 2016
you dont have to sacrifice it at all if you dont want to, it just can't make a convincing case for a norris caliber season over defensemen with similar if not better offensive production AND PK ability. Imagine your best defenseman not being needed for your teams 16th best PK ranking. Avs top 10 in PK and PP with Makar playing big minutes in both.

Its honestly just a box ticking thing. Like I said Hughes is phenomenal and is having a norris caliber season and will be a well deserved nomination. I just have a hard time picking a dman for a norris if he doesn't play PK at any decent rate.

And to the guy picking ont he +/-, that I quoted, that was the easiest one to do ignoring the 28 goals for that year. Every year it's different with a vareity of things.

If ANY dman was top 1-2 in scoring among dmen with = good ES, PP, PK AND let's just say for arguments sake playing 30 minutes a game, you don't think he wouldn't be the winner over a 25 min dman with similar ES and PP but no PK?

Makar is third among Ds in 5v5 TOI per game on his own team and is very sheltered defensively in terms of zone starts. Is he even the #1 Dman on Colorado?

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006

hey its your post season run lol. If Makar gets hit by a point shot, you know that only leans into his rep as a bandaid boy. Canucks have bigger aspirations this year and cannot afford to run him to the ground in the regular season.

If you bought a Ferrari, and you want to run it on an unpaved back country dirt road and claim its to show that its versatile, its your perogative.

Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

mkatcherin00

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2023
He's looked pretty bad these last few games

Playoffs are a whole different level. Teams will hit him much much more and not give him room to operate

How can Hughes who was absolutely atrocious against the Bruins the other night ever be considered a top D in the NHL? Kid was absolutely bullied. How many damn mistakes did he make? A foreshadowing of what is to come when the playoffs start. He will disappear like he always does because he is petrified of getting hit.

Also some extremely lazy defensive plays that directly led to goals against. It's because the kid doesn't want to actually play DEFENSE. Don't worry Canucks fanboys I will be back in the playoffs when he disappears like he always does, but will leave for now to let you stew.

I've never seen Cale have a game that bad even when he takes the night off.
His strength is how great he is at skating. Opponents blueline he creates a ton just walking the line and getting past guys.

He is so so on actual defense

Tralfamadore

Don't Panic.
Sep 25, 2011
How can Hughes who was absolutely atrocious against the Bruins the other night ever be considered a top D in the NHL? Kid was absolutely bullied. How many damn mistakes did he make? A foreshadowing of what is to come when the playoffs start. He will disappear like he always does because he is petrified of getting hit.

Also some extremely lazy defensive plays that directly led to goals against. It's because the kid doesn't want to actually play DEFENSE. Don't worry Canucks fanboys I will be back in the playoffs when he disappears like he always does, but will leave for now to let you stew.

Hughes will be fine. Makar has had plenty of really bad games this year.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
re: pk usage, isn’t this just a function of colorado’s defensive depth, vs the years when makar was closer to hughes’ current pk usage of 48 seconds/game?

2021: 0:55 - cm 2nd for norris, avs 2nd in the league

2022: 1:25 - won norris, avs 2nd in the league, won cup

2023: 2:44 - 3rd for norris, avs tied for 6th

2024: 2:59 - avs tied for 4th

fwiw, hughes was at 1:19 last year, before we replaced OEL, schenn, bear, and burroughs with hronek, cole, soucy/zadorov, and the surprisingly effective of late juulsen; and 1:12 the year before, when he only was switched onto the pk midway through the year after the coaching change

Reactions: Regal

Buck Naked

Can't-Stand-Ya
Aug 18, 2016
I'm gonna guess you were just joking around because I really doubt you're actually stupid enough to say this unironically

Although he is third in 5v5 icetime and actually pretty sheltered defensively when it comes to zone starts, yes, I was trying to be as silly as the other poster. You see, you can twist and turn anything to make another player look bad. Using not being on the PK as an arument against a player is about as dumb as the argument I made against Makar. I'm sure they both are matched in ways which allows them to provide the most amount of value to their respective teams.

ScottishCanuck

May 9, 2010
Scotland

Why is blatant trolling like this constantly tolerated?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad