Quinn Hughes Mega thread: Top in points, Norris consideration, MVP and Canucks fans hearts

Wry n Ginger

Water which is too pure has no fish
Sep 15, 2010
Victoria
Canucks fan here. I am huge fan of both players but don't get much chance to see Makars sick showstopper moves as much as Quinns. Any chance an Avs and a Nucks fan want to put a highlight package from THIS YEAR AND LAST to show what these two blueline wizards are truly capable of??

Reactions: Play and quat

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
Fans love to compare Hughes and Makar but both are extremely talented in their own way. Be happy the Canucks have one of them.

We are happy.

It's like if you went to the Mackinnon/Kucherov Hart thread and someone kept telling you McDavid is better.

Most of us are celebrating what a fantastic season Hughes is having though.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
I agree

There is no Canadian bias bump
There is definately an eastern bias bump

It has been discussed how bad it is ad nauseam on this site
I mean it was outlined in that athletic article with some of those quotes from NHL voting media members not watching him as much as they should and even quotes from NHL front office members

That one quote where that eastern NHL exec says I don’t watch him play much but I know he isn’t that good.

A break down of the voting members of the PWHA is heavily weighted to east coast voters, which makes sense as the east coast is a media centralized area. but it shows in media members admitting they dont get to see much late games.

Last edited:

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022
"Generational" means once in a generation, and Cale Makar exists.

If Hughes wins a Norris, Smyth, and Stanley...he would be close to the same level as Makar.

Hughes has never even finished top 5 in Norris voting, despite the Canadian media bump.
Man this is a bad take. Cale is a stud, nobody denies that. The thing is this is the first year Quinn has had a Toews and no matter what you avs fans say because you guys seem obsessed with Quinn, it's a massive advantage Cale had. Nevermind the team as a whole.

I think most nuck fans give the edge to Cale overall because he has been up untill this year but Quinn is every bit as good as Cale. They are constantly compared because their numbers are so similar.

Quinn is younger has played in a shit situation, do you honestly think this season is an apperition? Or more likely the result of his work ethic, talent, finally not chained to a bottom pairing dman.

As for awards, Quinn could very well have the same by June, then what? I guess that downgrades Cale since they both can't be generational right?

All I know is forget points what puts Quinn on another level this season is how much more the puck is on his stick compared to any other dman and how very few times something negative happens.

I mean the guy is a +33 what's Cale? Who's had inflated pp stats

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022
This is one of biggest difference. 20-30 years later, it will become a norm for players to enter in the league later than ever before. which will be even more impressive when a player is able to enter in the NHL by Quinn and dominate at younger age than Makar ever did. Makar was blessed to play with top star on Avs team and he had a huge advantage to start his career with talents on the team than Quinn ever did. Quinn is already worth more than Makar now, to be honest. Avs fans will disagree. If the Canucks had Makar, I would think that he might struggle when the Canucks was so bad.

You cannot really compare apple to orange by saying that Makar is better than Quinn. They have their unique skill set that fit in Avs well. Keeping in mind that Avs forwards was already a star in this league before Makar ever arrived. Once they retire and no one to replace and if Makar continue to keep this up then I'd be more impresed. It remains to be seen if he could keep it up without those stars if Avs depth is depleted. It is coming and it's inevitable.
Actually when the Avs had a bunch of injuries last year Cale most certainly struggled and avs fans said "well he's by himself" nevermind how he has looked without Toews. Quinn has had so much shit tossed his way in a crazy media market and has welcomed every ridiculous expectation and the first time we get the guy a legit top 4 partner along with stable coaching the kid shoots to an insane level on both sides of the puck while handling the captain role.

As nuck fans if we continue this magic season all the way, there will be very few of us who don't expect Quinn to be the big reason why.

Im not the guy that get nuts over other people's opinions, in fact I take the way oilers fans are losing their shit as the way it should be but Quinn is the one player I'll act like C-tron or Arty57 and be a complete ass because he's that great.

keglu

Jul 11, 2014
I wonder if Dobson can snatch Norris from Hughes/Makar.
PPG+ and +21 on -23 Islanders team is crazy. He also has lower OISH than both Makar/Hughes so maybe he can at least stop losing ground in production going forward.

Reactions: Konk and Oak

Petey O

Laffy Taffy's gonna chew you up.
Feb 26, 2021
Canguker
PPG+ and +21 on -23 Islanders team is crazy. He also has lower OISH than both Makar/Hughes so maybe he can at least stop losing ground in production going forward.
That's a nice fantasy but it isn't going to happen.

Avs44

May 16, 2011
You have finally discovered a subject that Avs fans and Canucks fans can unite over. They should award you the Nobel peace prize.

Three On Zero

Deranged Oreo Dolphin Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Makar is a borderline generational talent, the fact Hughes is even mentioned in the same breath is a huge compliment to Hughes.

Let’s just be grateful we get to watch both of them

Let’s save the banter for when these guys go head to head in a best on best tournament

HockeyWooot

Jan 28, 2020
Since they've entered the league you know it'll be exciting to watch these two over their careers.

At least based on their initial impact I've always seen Makar vs Hughes et al as likely comparable to Lidstrom vs other top dmen in the eras he was in the league (Coffey, Leetch, Niedermayer). Strictly for comparison sakes not saying, they are these players or will match their careers.

Few would dispute that Lidstrom is a superior player to these other dmen, but the others here aren't exactly chopped liver. All HHOF members who were among the best dmen in their era and all time, winning Norris trophies as well.

In addition to the old guard (Bourque, Chelios, MacInnis, a number of players (Leetch, Niedermayer, Zubov, Pronger, Blake) came into the league in a similar time frame to Lidstrom.

Seems to be similarities today where many of them are breaking into the league at the same time. Makar, Fox, Hughes, Heiskanen, Dahlin, McAvoy, Dobson all drafted within 3 years of each other. Have the old guard (Hedman, Josi, Karlsson) as well as younger crop of franchise dmen coming up now (Seider, Power, Sanderson, Hughes etc). Pretty exciting to watch.

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

Oak

Apr 22, 2012
MA
Hughes is doing great things this year on a stacked Canucks team but he will never be considered as good as Makar by anyone who actually watches and understand hockey. Makar is the total package, a true 2 way defenseman that is elite on both ends. Hughes is not.

Ace of Hades

#Demko4Vezina
Apr 27, 2010
Oregon
Hughes is doing great things this year on a stacked Canucks team but he will never be considered as good as Makar by anyone who actually watches and understand hockey. Makar is the total package, a true 2 way defenseman that is elite on both ends. Hughes is not.
Imagine still having this horrendous take on Hughes even in 2024. Take your own advice, you don't watch nor understand hockey by that bad take of yours.

Hughes is the biggest reason why the Canucks are a stacked team.

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022
No dman has the puck on more and the gap is massive, no dman has less turnovers and like Cale Quinn plays the hardest minutes. Quinn is +34, Cale is +12. Quinn is the most dynamic dman in hockey this season , he's also a year younger.
This is the first time since his rookie season that he has a good partner, he hasn't had the luxury of a good team or a top pairing partner.
The numbers, the eye test and results don't lie.
The thing that shows Quinn has been better than Makar are people like you and several Avs fans who go out of their way to insert themselves in Quinn and nucks threads pumping Cales tires or when Cale went on his brief run that got him back in the race or when he broke a record they flooded thread related to Quinn. When Quinn set a record Avs fans made their way to Quinn threads pumping Cales tires
The level of insecurity and trolling only shows how much Quinn is in their heads.

Sad really that a fanbase and Quinn haters just can't enjoy how lucky as hockey fans we are to have both these guys.
It reminds me of small dick syndrome, where as you don't see Quinn fans stooping to these levels because his numbers and the eye test does all the talking.

Toby91ca

Oct 17, 2022
No dman has the puck on more and the gap is massive, no dman has less turnovers and like Cale Quinn plays the hardest minutes. Quinn is +34, Cale is +12. Quinn is the most dynamic dman in hockey this season , he's also a year younger.
No Dman has less turnovers than Hughes? There’s actually only 22 Dman that have more giveaways than Hughes. If we just keep it to these 2 guys though, Hughes has 34 giveaways and Makar has 23. Flip side is Hughes has 26 takeaways, so -11 and Makar has 43, so +20.

Not trying to use these stats to pump someone up though as I’m not a huge proponent of them, but unless I’m misunderstanding your comment, the facts are simply way off.

Reactions: Oak

Buck Naked

Can't-Stand-Ya
Aug 18, 2016
No Dman has less turnovers than Hughes? There’s actually only 22 Dman that have more giveaways than Hughes. If we just keep it to these 2 guys though, Hughes has 34 giveaways and Makar has 23. Flip side is Hughes has 26 takeaways, so -11 and Makar has 43, so +20.

Not trying to use these stats to pump someone up though as I’m not a huge proponent of them, but unless I’m misunderstanding your comment, the facts are simply way off.

Just so you know. Turnovers and giveaways are not the same thing.

Toby91ca

Oct 17, 2022
I don't have the stats. Just pointed out your mixup.
My point was, does the NHL actually track a turnover stat? Different from giveaways? Also, the notion that Hughes has the puck more than everyone else and the gap is huge. Not sure what backs that up as I’m not sure there is an actual stat that tracks that either….any stats out there on that are going to be questionable as it’s something that’s been looked at but not fully there yet

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad