Quinn Hughes Mega thread: Top in points, Norris consideration, MVP and Canucks fans hearts

BoxOfChocolates

Mar 7, 2010
So if the guy who has been having the most dominant season on D keeps it up and isn’t overtaken by the next closest performer, he’ll win the Norris… because it was annointed by the Canadian media at game 10, and not because his play earned it?
My point was that Makar could overtake him, and still lose.

Nucks2001

Jul 6, 2023
Another 3 assists. 62 points in 49 games.

In the same company as Hall of famers. Generational talent.
Unbelievable player and Norris favourite this season. Don’t kid yourself. The only generational talents for this generation are McDavid and Makar. Coming from a Canucks fan.

Reactions: AvsFan29

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
Another 3 assists. 62 points in 49 games.

In the same company as Hall of famers. Generational talent.
"Generational" means once in a generation, and Cale Makar exists.

If Hughes wins a Norris, Smyth, and Stanley...he would be close to the same level as Makar.

Hughes has never even finished top 5 in Norris voting, despite the Canadian media bump.

Bizzare

May 5, 2013

If Hughes wins a Norris, Smyth, and Stanley...he would be close to the same level as Makar.

Hughes has never even finished top 5 in Norris voting, despite the Canadian media bump.
Oh yes, that Vancouver media bump for awards voting absolutely exists.

SiZ

Jun 24, 2020

So, by that logic, Makar isn't generational because Hughes exists.

Nucks2001

Jul 6, 2023

Agreed. Quinn Hughes is to Cale Makar is what Dennis Potvin was to Bobby Orr and what Paul Coffey was to Ray Bourque

Reactions: AvsFan29

Draino

Mar 1, 2017
Vancouver

yeah because if you played Makar on the trash teams Hughes played on up till now he would have won a cup and a Norris trophy. Give me a break.

nuxnux1

Oct 17, 2022
Reminds me of when niedermayer or Boyle for a time would just control the game from the back end and make me clench my cheeks every time they had the puck against the canucks, it’s so nice having one of those on this side

Reactions: quat

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
yeah because if you played Makar on the trash teams Hughes played on up till now he would have won a cup and a Norris trophy. Give me a break.
Do you know what the Smyth is? Makar was the best player on the team. He's the biggest reason they won a cup.

Yah it sucks that Hughes will never get that opportunity, but the NHL is a hard league to win.

• Haha
Reactions: LemonSauceD

Aqualung

Nov 16, 2007

The post was about Hughes and you couldn’t help yourself to talk about Makar. Feeding your insecurities?

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011

Theres no such thing as a Canadian media bump. Its the east coast bump. All the voters are asleep by the time Canucks are playing.

So Ovechkin isnt Generational BC Crosby exists? or Vice Versa?

Reactions: DFAC and Szechwan

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
40 even strength points by the all-star break is crazy impressive.

Hughes has been on the ice for more GF than frigan Mackinnon LOL at ev-strength, and Mackinnon is in some sort of god mode right now.

Shows you how much Hughes is tilting the ice at a crazy high pace offensively

Last edited:
Reactions: quat and Szechwan

Buck Naked

Can't-Stand-Ya
Aug 18, 2016
Can we just stop this generational bullshit talk about Hughes and Makar? Neither of them have reached that status yet since they have done nothing to separate themselves from the other Ds of the generation. A Norris and a Smythe is not, I repeat, NOT enough to reach that status. Hedman also got it. Is he generational too? Unless you do what McDavid does and actually show that you are so much better than everyone else, the word generational should not be mentioned. Makar sure has been looking great early in his career, but he's got one season where he won major awards. Stay healthy, dominate your peers year in and year out, and then we can talk about being generational. Winning a Norris by the slimmest margins ever will not grant you that status.

Nucks2001

Jul 6, 2023
Theres no such thing as a Canadian media bump. Its the east coast bump. All the voters are asleep by the time Canucks are playing.

there’s a lot of people who wouldn’t even have Ovechkin as being generational. It’s definitely debatable. The only “true” generational forwards are Howe, Gretzky, Lemieux, Crosby and McDavid. Ovechkin belongs in the same category as Jagr and Bossy. And many people will say that Jagr, Bossy and Ovechkin are generational forwards, but it’s not as “clear-cut.”

Hammman

Apr 3, 2010

Not to mention Gretzky and Lemieux.

Dust

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 20, 2016
Can we just stop this generational bullshit talk about Hughes and Makar? Neither of them have reached that status yet since they have done nothing to separate themselves from the other Ds of the generation. A Norris and a Smythe is not, I repeat, NOT enough to reach that status. Hedman also got it. Is he generational too? Unless you do what McDavid does and actually show that you are so much better than everyone else, the word generational should not be mentioned. Makar sure has been looking great early in his career, but he's got one season where he won major awards. Stay healthy, dominate your peers year in and year out, and then we can talk about being generational. Winning a Norris by the slimmest margins ever will not grant you that status.

This is the correct take. I think Makar is the most talented defender in the NHL when he's healthy, but he's not generational. He's not blowing the rest out of the water. He entered the NHL at age 21 so we will never know if he would have had the same growing pains that other's had who were in there at 18.

Reactions: Belos

coolboarder

Mar 4, 2010
Maryland
This is the correct take. I think Makar is the most talented defender in the NHL when he's healthy, but he's not generational. He's not blowing the rest out of the water. He entered the NHL at age 21 so we will never know if he would have had the same growing pains that other's had who were in there at 18.
This is one of biggest difference. 20-30 years later, it will become a norm for players to enter in the league later than ever before. which will be even more impressive when a player is able to enter in the NHL by Quinn and dominate at younger age than Makar ever did. Makar was blessed to play with top star on Avs team and he had a huge advantage to start his career with talents on the team than Quinn ever did. Quinn is already worth more than Makar now, to be honest. Avs fans will disagree. If the Canucks had Makar, I would think that he might struggle when the Canucks was so bad.

You cannot really compare apple to orange by saying that Makar is better than Quinn. They have their unique skill set that fit in Avs well. Keeping in mind that Avs forwards was already a star in this league before Makar ever arrived. Once they retire and no one to replace and if Makar continue to keep this up then I'd be more impresed. It remains to be seen if he could keep it up without those stars if Avs depth is depleted. It is coming and it's inevitable.

VanCanucks53

Jul 6, 2007
Calgary
I’m just stoked this kid is on our team. I really don’t care about Makar and how he compares to him. All I know is that Hughes is what gives the Canucks that X factor and he’s the type of player that I can’t believe is actually a Canuck. Truly such a blessing to be able to watch him night in and night out.

Reactions: Draino

Draino

Mar 1, 2017
Vancouver
Do you know what the Smyth is? Makar was the best player on the team. He's the biggest reason they won a cup.

Yah it sucks that Hughes will never get that opportunity, but the NHL is a hard league to win.
if you are going to be condescending and ask about what the 'smyth' is at least spell it right.

Now if you really think that Makar would have won a cup with the likes of Poolman, Kyle Burroughs, Brad Hunt and Luke Schenn as his D core you are more out to lunch than I thought. I think you are talking out of your arse only to defend your guy.

What is amazing is this is the first year that Hughes has a legit top pair d man to play with - and look how he is keeping up, and even ahead, of your guy. Im talking about Hronek of course...probably not a great top pair d man, and his stats are inflated a bit playing with Hughes, but he is a real step up from the fodder they had playing with him for years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad