Quinn Hughes Mega thread: Top in points, Norris consideration, MVP and Canucks fans hearts

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Why do people get so triggered by rising young stars

Probably because fans of theirs equally or even moreso over hype them so then any response even if reasonable is met with calls of hater or "being triggered."

There may be rare cases where it is people get triggered by young stars, but the vast majority of cases (as evidenced by this thread) is that it is the supporters of the young "star" being triggered that everyone isn't rushing in to say how super duper awesome their guy is.

Reactions: Oryxo and Dominance

TeddyBare

Jul 28, 2016
Mississauga, Ontario
It's crazy how polarizing the opinions are on him

You got that rangers fan who thinks he is the worst prospect he has ever seen, and shouldn't be in the league.
and some are saying he is that marner, kane type of player but on defense.

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
Another fantastic game by him today
He is an one man break out machine
The only weakness he has now is that he sometimes gets push over in his own zone due to size but that only happens a few times a game because he was able to skate out of forecheck most of the time

Svencouver

Apr 8, 2015
Vancouver
I think he's had an unexpectedly strong start and quick adjustment to the NHL. I really didn't think it was going to be as smooth as its appearing to be based on his NCAA footage. He handles the game well on both sides of the ice and has, as some have pointed out, been arguably the Canucks best player outside of goaltending. He's improved a lot since his short stint last year, even. I think those few games up last year helped him get an impression of what he needed to work on. His slap shot and defensive play in particular look markedly better, and if he can keep honing those two aspects of his game while keeping his unbelievable vision and skating intact (which he will), he could be a top 5 defender in the league.

Since ppl have been referencing some of his stats but haven't posted them, I'll do the honors.

Vnq-WoFIpKsCdirdgBC9puqzHuzPROr7vKYz93u2DhI.png

Not what I expected at all at the start of the season. Hopefully he can keep it up.

Sasquatchbreath

Oct 7, 2019
Yes he very much is. Dude can possess the puck but at some point he will have to help produce anything offensively. 3 points in 7 games for a kid already given the 2020 Calder. Yes, overhyped is a good way to put it.

You being an Avs fan tells me all I need to know.

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
Was thoroughly underwhelmed by his play this afternoon. Poor decisions with the puck, taking too long to make a play, losing battles defensively, and his skating left me expecting more given his hype as well.

It is absolutely laughable to suggest he'll be as good or better than Dahlin. Nobody compares to his upside or quite frankly the player he already is at 19 years old.

And before people start going on with nonsense about being a homer.... I've been quite disappointed with Makar for the Avs so far as well. He's having a lot of the same issues as Hughes right now. No doubt these kids have high upside and will be fantastic players in the future but both are struggling right now to me.

If anything I think more than ever before it is becoming clear just how hard it is to actually be an impact high level Defender when you're only 19/20 years old. And that Dahlin was absolutely robbed of the Calder last year with the ridiculous season he had at 18 years old.
Dahlin was not "robbed" of anything, Pretty much the entire hockey community pegged Pettersson as the winner and the results were hardly close.

The award isn't awarded to the "best rookie relative to age" it's awarded to the best rookie, period.

Your takes on Elias Petterson have been absolutely horrid based on your posting history, so I'm not surprised.

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
Another fantastic game by him today
He is an one man break out machine
The only weakness he has now is that he sometimes gets push over in his own zone due to size but that only happens a few times a game because he was able to skate out of forecheck most of the time
This is a problem for like 99% of defenseman under 20 good thing most of them will bulk up in their early 20s so this doesn't happen as easily.

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
I like how we all see Pettersson and we agree that he is "slumping" at a measily ppg

Once he Pettersson starts to calm down a bit, we'll only see greater synergy with Hughes.

Seattle Totems

Apr 14, 2010
Because he has done absolutely nothing yet. When a player gets his own thread for no reason, we will look for reasons to knock it down.

Exactly. Wait for him to develop or do something relevant. Matthews netting 4 in his first game is thread worthy.

Hughes playing well defensively on a bubble team, putting up 3 points in 7 games, playing on PP2 then finally getting PP1 time and going 0-6 is not thread worthy.

With guys giving him the Calder already and dropping "franchise player" on him, were going to rip him apart.

We need a Dahlin gif saying "hold my beer". Thats how a real rookie dman plays.

He's played very well for the Canucks and was considered a top candidate to compete for the Calder before the season began. Hes a top ten pick on a canadian team. Obviously hes going to get his own thread. Who gets upset because a prospect gets his own thread??

I agree there is some hype that may not be warranted but your negative comments are just as bad. It's hard to take your opinion seriously after that PP1 comment. If you actually did watch those games you obviously weren't paying attention.

There are always going to be a couple of posters that have a bias and get overly excited about certain prospects. Theres no reason to take offense to it.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
Because he has done absolutely nothing yet. When a player gets his own thread for no reason, we will look for reasons to knock it down.

Exactly. Wait for him to develop or do something relevant. Matthews netting 4 in his first game is thread worthy.

Hughes playing well defensively on a bubble team, putting up 3 points in 7 games, playing on PP2 then finally getting PP1 time and going 0-6 is not thread worthy.

With guys giving him the Calder already and dropping "franchise player" on him, were going to rip him apart.

Man you need to relax and go outside.

People wanting to discuss an immensely talented and entertaining hockey player on a hockey discussion board isn't the end of the world.

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles

Then don't click on the thread. No one will miss you.

QJL

Jan 2, 2014

You got that rangers fan who thinks he is the worst prospect he has ever seen, and shouldn't be in the league.

Rangers fan here. Quinn Hughes is incredible and I would trade a mountain for him.

SabresSharks

Oct 2, 2007
Don't know how good he'll be, and as a neutral fan, I don't really care.

He's pure entertainment.

Reactions: DL44

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC

I don’t really think there’s any reason for him to be polarizing. He’s played really well for a rookie and I think everyone who had watched him objectively will acknowledge that. His skating is just fun to watch and his defensive play has been surprisingly good although something he still needs to work on.

Feb 19, 2018
I had low expectations as a fan of the team, but Quinn has been fantastic to watch. I’m very impressed how well he handles the puck combined with his agility.
So lucky to have such a talent to play on the backend and impressed with his poise.
Boeser/Pettersson/Hughes will be a trio going forward that will dominate the West. I see a Calder nomination for him this year due to his overall contribution to the team.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Wry n Ginger

Water which is too pure has no fish
Sep 15, 2010
Victoria
Watch this player closely when he has the puck and is skating towards an opposition player. The subtle shifts of his body weight, skate angles and stick position completely give the opposing players fits. He changes their body position and momentum and then goes the other way to get around them. He really is a treat to watch once you appreciate how deceptive he is and how well he sees the whole ice. I pause the game a few times for my son or GF and break down a subtle move he makes every once in a while. I am really looking forward to seeing him grow his game over the next few years.

ninetyeight

Jun 3, 2007
Finland
Would be pretty incredible if canucks won the calder two years in a row, don’t think that has happened in the modern era..

The Vasili Jerry

Serenity now!
Jun 11, 2011
Orange County
Would be pretty incredible if canucks won the calder two years in a row, don’t think that has happened in the modern era..
Boeser finished second in voting the year before Pettersson as well. It's been a good time for prospects in Vancouver over the past few years.

In terms of Quinn, I think if anyone is just a fan of hockey in general then they will appreciate watching him play. He's so much fun to watch and surprisingly very calm for a guy in his first full season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad