Quinn Hughes Mega thread: Top in points, Norris consideration, MVP and Canucks fans hearts

JESSEWENEEDTOCOOK

Oct 8, 2010
I said the entire game and especially when it mattered (last 3 minute). All I see is Quinn and Calder is the same sentence on here and the kid looks like a very average dman to me. Nothing special. Middle pairing at best. Hell kid couldnt even make the PP1 on a pretty garbage Canucks team. Then went 0-6...
Oh, sorry.

He wasn’t great in the one game I saw. He must be overhyped.

Yeah. Much better.

Reactions: Paradise Circus

Drew Doubty

Apr 4, 2010
Vancouver, B.C.
Every major site says he’s at least 6 feet and 200 pounds. Height aside, he’s not an ectomorph like Hughes is.

Sam Girard and Torey Krug, while not elite but very good are 5’10 or smaller

Body morphology is the biggest piece of broscience out there.

I didn’t expect him to be so polarizing.

Having watched every nhl game he’s played in I think that he’s been very impressive. Plays unlike anyone I’ve ever seen really, definitely anyone on the canucks. Dynamic with the puck, unreal edgework, and a mind for finding time and space. Repeatedly I’ve seen him put in a tough spot in the d-zone and somehow find a way to turn it into a controlled exit. But there are times when the cycle starts, and it becomes obvious his size inhibits him from breaking it. His stature also forces him to commit to defensive plays which look incredible when they come off, but his team in a really bad spot when they whiff. Bigger players can be more conservative because they can cover more space without moving.

Stoked he’s on our team though. His offensive gifts and transition Defense definitely outweigh his lapses.

Knight53

#6 #9 #17 #35 #40 #43
Jun 23, 2015
Vancouver
Outside of goaltending, he has arguably been the Canucks best player. Tilts the ice every time he's out there. Probably a top 10 skater in the game already.

Future superstar.

John Eichel da GOAT

Oct 7, 2008
Oh, sorry.

He wasn’t great in the one game I saw. He must be overhyped.

Yeah. Much better.
Yes he very much is. Dude can possess the puck but at some point he will have to help produce anything offensively. 3 points in 7 games for a kid already given the 2020 Calder. Yes, overhyped is a good way to put it.

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
Holy over reaction Batman.

There are people who thinks his career is only 7 games, and then there people who thinks only the game they watch mattered.

It's way too early to tell anything, but the only thing that is true is that he is providing something that Canucks fans have not seen in a very long time, and in this day and age of speed and skill over size and strength, there is a chance that Quinn can be a game changer for the Canucks.

Not every rookie is going to be a generational player that explodes out of the gate. But if properly nurtured and developed, along with the player's desire to succeed, a lot of great players will emerge. And boy, if Quinn becomes a real deal, it is going to be a game changer.

John Eichel da GOAT

Oct 7, 2008
Why do people get so triggered by rising young stars
Because he has done absolutely nothing yet. When a player gets his own thread for no reason, we will look for reasons to knock it down.
Holy over reaction Batman.

There are people who thinks his career is only 7 games, and then there people who thinks only the game they watch mattered.

It's way too early to tell anything, but the only thing that is true is that he is providing something that Canucks fans have not seen in a very long time, and in this day and age of speed and skill over size and strength, there is a chance that Quinn can be a game changer for the Canucks.

Not every rookie is going to be a generational player that explodes out of the gate. But if properly nurtured and developed, along with the player's desire to succeed, a lot of great players will emerge. And boy, if Quinn becomes a real deal, it is going to be a game changer.
Exactly. Wait for him to develop or do something relevant. Matthews netting 4 in his first game is thread worthy.

Hughes playing well defensively on a bubble team, putting up 3 points in 7 games, playing on PP2 then finally getting PP1 time and going 0-6 is not thread worthy.

With guys giving him the Calder already and dropping "franchise player" on him, were going to rip him apart.

We need a Dahlin gif saying "hold my beer". Thats how a real rookie dman plays.

LaVal

Dec 13, 2002
Kelowna
playing on PP2 then finally getting PP1 time and going 0-6

I keep seeing this. Edler started on the top unit and was replaced by Hughes for the final 3 Vancouver powerplays. One of these was only 38 seconds long, and one of them was Vancouver's best by a large margin.

Reactions: Szechwan

Svencouver

Apr 8, 2015
Vancouver
I said the entire game and especially when it mattered (last 3 minute). All I see is Quinn and Calder is the same sentence on here and the kid looks like a very average dman to me. Nothing special. Middle pairing at best. Hell kid couldnt even make the PP1 on a pretty garbage Canucks team. Then went 0-6...
Yes, I'm sure that plugging in one guy into a foundationally dysfunctional and poorly coached pp (which he did immediately make look leagues better) is gonna fix it right away. Lol

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Why do people get so triggered by rising young stars

It seems like other fan bases doesn’t like other teams having awesome young players. They will try sell a false headline that is totally not even true to try to deflate the actual positives of a player.

one non Canuck fan mentioned dhalin in this thread then multiple Canuck hater fans say “overrated! He’s not dhalin”. Wtf. None of even among ourselves compared him to dhalin, not here reddit or Canucks.com

In regards to the game against New Jersey, our entire defence wasn’t good. Not sure wtf Edler is doing, he’s our 25 minute dman and he played like gudbranson tonight like wtf, Hughes was Our best dman among a bad group. Totally different team from the team that beat st.lous 2 days ago.

anyways very excited to have this type player on our back end. He’s been very good for us. I think the Quinn Hughes thread someone posted his advancesd stats ? Top 6 among nhl dmans and top among our own dman.

LuckyBoeser

Oct 8, 2018
Was thoroughly underwhelmed by his play this afternoon. Poor decisions with the puck, taking too long to make a play, losing battles defensively, and his skating left me expecting more given his hype as well. It is absolutely laughable to suggest he'll be as good or better than Dahlin. Nobody compares to his upside or quite frankly the player he already is at 19 years old. And before people start going on with nonsense about being a homer.... I've been quite disappointed with Makar for the Avs so far as well. He's having a lot of the same issues as Hughes right now. No doubt these kids have high upside and will be fantastic players in the future but both are struggling right now to me. If anything I think more than ever before it is becoming clear just how hard it is to actually be an impact high level Defender when you're only 19/20 years old. And that Dahlin was absolutely robbed of the Calder last year with the ridiculous season he had at 18 years old.
Already the best defenseman at making scoring chances. Does it at will. League’s too easy for him. Better than Burns, Dahlin, and Heiskanen. Well, we now know who is the most overrated player in the league. Had a handful of brutal turnovers today, one of which led directly to him taking a penalty. Regularly beat to pucks along the boards despite his great skating ability and easily muscled off. Takes loads of point shots but hasn’t shown any particular ability to get them through traffic yet. Vancouver as a whole is overachieving so far, and this offensive dynamo is getting first unit powerplay time, but he only has a nothing secondary assist, and then a screened point shot goal and a nice assist in an 8-2 game against one of the worst teams in the league, in 7 games. But yeah, hand him the Norris. Oh sorry, does this just mean I’m a “hater”?
The game vs New Jersey was certainly one of Quinn's weaker games defensively. However he still shown very nice defensive upside in his stickwork and being a breakout machine. Throughout the season (small sample size of course), he has been really good defensively. He has consistently moved the puck out of the defense zone and retrieving the puck in his own end to control the play in both ends of the ice. His analytics suggests he have had very good impacts on shot suppression and quality chances against. Dominance, I strongly disagree with your conclusion regarding the bolded text. Beside from that one power play against the Devils Hughes haven't taken "loads" of shots. In fact, he is seen to have very good shot selection and absolutely have shown the ability to get the shot through traffic.
Because he has done absolutely nothing yet. When a player gets his own thread for no reason, we will look for reasons to knock it down.
Done absolutely nothing? Quinn Hughes is among the top for defensemen in both cf% and xgf%.
Quinn Hughes is like Torey Krug except he is worse defensively and not as good offensively. Also Krug will actually get physical and battle for pucks at times, Quinn does not battle, especially not on the boards.
He has gone into the dirty areas and battle for the puck lol. We are watching completely different games. However he does have a weakness in battling for the puck along the board. He needs to get stronger so he doesn't get outmuscled so often. Luckily his stickwork allows him to escape trouble along the board.

Reactions: Dominance

Mathew Barzal

Walk It Like I Tocchet
Jun 5, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Why is anyone arguing about him being better than the defenseman mentioned in the OP. It specifically talks about the manner in which Hughes generates offense.

I wholeheartedly agree. In the same manner nobody can touch McDavid in speed, nobody seems to be able to touch Hughes in agility. His edgework and control over his movement allows him to close or widen the gap on any player he wants to at will. It's mesmerizing to watch

And he's only going to get better at it.

Paradise Circus

May 27, 2010
YVR
This thread is hilarious, people freaking out.

If you don't think it is thread worthy, don't click the thread? :laugh:

Is he better than Dahlin or any of the other guys mentioned? No. Way too early.

Is he exciting to watch and one of the best players on the Canucks so far. yes.

Haters keep hating.

Zanon

Apr 4, 2008
Vancouver
This thread reminds of when Pettersson's play style was being compared to Gretzky's and people here were getting triggered even though nobody said Pettersson was going to actually be the next Gretzky.

Reading comprehension. Not even once.

Anyways, Quinn Hughes is the type of player you pay to go see play live. Certainly has the most offensive potential out of all the young D-men out there.

Last edited:

lawrence

May 19, 2012
This thread reminds of when Pettersson's play style was being compared to Gretzky's and people here were getting triggered even though nobody said Pettersson was going to actually be the next Gretzky.

Reading comprehension. Not even once.

Anyways, Quinn Hughes is the type of player you pay to go see play live. Certainly has the most offensive potential out of all the young D-men out there.

Somebody did compare him to Gretzky.

it was Gretzky himself.

Reactions: Canucks LB

John Eichel da GOAT

Oct 7, 2008
This thread is hilarious, people freaking out.

If you don't think it is thread worthy, don't click the thread? :laugh:

Is he better than Dahlin or any of the other guys mentioned? No. Way too early.

Is he exciting to watch and one of the best players on the Canucks so far. yes.

Haters keep hating.
Hating on the mighty LOL Canucks? No. Were just hating on a thread worshiping a kid with 3 points. If he was touted as a shut down puck possession monster, then I'd give him credit because corsi wise, he's been legit (in 7 total games). But there is a reason why guys like Brodie, Hjarlmerrssssoson, Vlasic, Tanev, Spurgeon, and Pesce (to name a few) are considered cap dumps by many here even though they are among the best defensive dmen in the league. You need to put up points to be relevant.

Szechwan

Sep 13, 2006
Riiight. [mod] let's get this back on track.

I'm not here to make predictions about will be better than who - but having seen Q play a few games I absolutely agree that he has one of the most unique backend play styles I've seen.

He's able to mould the game to suit his his strengths, and if he has success I think the NHL will start looking long and hard at the smaller "finesse D."

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Josepho

Crabapple

Jun 17, 2010
Edmonton
Really fun to watch in the ~2 games that I've seen him. Very poised with the puck and a great skater. Still makes rookie mistakes however, but those come with time

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
He is just extremely special and gifted player.
His play-style is very unique.
His ceiling is absolutely massive

Last edited:

nucksflailtogether

Oct 15, 2017
2nd pairing "at best"....umm he's already a top 4 dman who forced his way onto PP1. BTW, 1A today against your Rags in less than half a game. Several nice shots and continues to control the play. He's going to be a #1 dman if he isn't already. The franchise dman title is well within his potential.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad