Quenneville...

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Don't see why teams don't just trade coaches just like players get traded.

Fresh starts... new looks.. better fits... new challenges and all that applies to coaches just as much as players... arguably moreso as certain coaches often fit certain teams more than others.

I know it isn't worked into the cap system like players are but it makes perfect sense to trade coaches/managers as well since they almost always end up being recycled across the league anyway... just like players.

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
Most Oiler fans would. Sadly the “fans” in the front office wouldn’t do that because it’s the smart thing to do.

Just imagine if he and Yzerman came here... but nope. Won’t happen.
Yzerman left a great job running TB to be closer to his family in Detroit. And now a few months later you think he's going to move away from his family to take the same role in Edmonton, when there isn't even a direct flight between the two cities? Yzerman is waiting out Holland.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Yzerman left a great job running TB to be closer to his family in Detroit. And now a few months later you think he's going to move away from his family to take the same role in Edmonton, when there isn't even a direct flight between the two cities? Yzerman is waiting out Holland.
Of course it's not going to happen. Chiarelli isn't going anywhere and even if he did Yzerman isn't coming to this shitshow of an organization.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
I can't imagine McLellan is better at anything vs Quenneville. Aside from trying to act like everyone's dad that they should be desperately trying to please.

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
I believe that both reasons are perfectly valid.
I guess we'll see the importance of the state of the organization when/if he accepts the Detroit GM job.

I just can't fathom why Yzerman would consider an indirect flight to Edmonton an improvement when numerous direct flights per day to TB presented too much a barrier to resolve his family concerns.

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
We may as well - we are not going to bust the league apart with this guy, even if we do end up in a wild card spot.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Part of me doesnt like the old dinosaur coaches. But Quennville is proven and hes won cups. Picking a young and up and coming coach, theres always some risk involved.

That being said even though Quennville has some warts, and some things the fans wont like (because honestly almost all coaches do), I think hes an upgrade over McLellan in pretty much every area.

McLellan is pretty much a completely average coach whos incredibly stubborn.

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
I don't think it will make any difference. Our problem is personnel. We don't draft well, we don't develop well, and we lose more trades than we win... and the ones we lose we get taken to the cleaners on.
We haven't hit on an impact player outside the top 30 in decades. Check this out and look at the games played past round 1. It's f***ing embarrassing.
Edmonton Oilers Draft History at hockeydb.com

The really funny part though is most of the players drafted after the second round with some games played actually played those games on other teams.

Don't get me started with Keith Gretzky and our last 3 years of picks.. I'm not going to say he's trash like the rest. But I'm not giving him one iota of faith until I see a god damn draft pick outside the first round turn into something other than a side note player. I'm talking once every 4 or 5 years you need to get a hit on someone after the first round that can make a SIGNIFICANT impact on the team. We never get that.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
I don't think it will make any difference. Our problem is personnel. We don't draft well, we don't develop well, and we lose more trades than we win... and the ones we lose we get taken to the cleaners on.
We haven't hit on an impact player outside the top 30 in decades. Check this out and look at the games played past round 1. It's ****ing embarrassing.
Edmonton Oilers Draft History at hockeydb.com

The really funny part though is most of the players drafted after the second round with some games played actually played those games on other teams.

Don't get me started with Keith Gretzky and our last 3 years of picks.. I'm not going to say he's trash like the rest. But I'm not giving him one iota of faith until I see a god damn draft pick outside the first round turn into something other than a side note player. I'm talking once every 4 or 5 years you need to get a hit on someone after the first round that can make a SIGNIFICANT impact on the team. We never get that.
It’s impossible to know if the drafting/development is any better or worse than it was before until some of these players have more time to prove what they are. There’s no reason for anybody to say it’s definitively better right now and yet many still do. Where Yamamoto and especially Puljijarvi are right now isn’t exactly encouraging, let alone where the later picks are.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Unfortunately they're gonna get fooled by the "decent start" and preach patience and watch Q go somewhere else, then eventually Todd will get fired and they'll end up having to hire a lesser coach than Q. Way things go around here.

Team is all about that "2nd chance" bull shit for Todd and Peter and not about hiring the best people available.

The Batman

Registered Superhero
Sep 30, 2014
Batcave
Hell yeah.

Won't get my hopes up the organization will take advantage of the perfectly-timed availability of Quenneville. Instead they will overlook McLellan's body of work here the last 3 years and stand pat.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad