Quenneville...

Duder54

Unfortunately our entire front office is stuck in the past, so it's not like we're going to hire some up and comers with new ideas and innovation.

Q is about the best we can do right now.

With all due respect, I think you underestimate just how much the Edmonton Oilers front office staff knows about #Winning. IMO, we should hire Charlie Sheen as the cherry on top and we can just watch the Stanley Cups roll in.

Reactions: Hopelessoilfan

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
Quennville's might have ran out of buttons to press with the Core in CHI but it would all be new to the core here.
TMac might be running out of different messages in Edmonton and it might be a good time to bring in change.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
https://www.tsn.ca/report-quenneville-wants-to-coach-again-1.1206958

He wants to coach. Come on Oil, ffs do the right thing...

"We know that he makes $6 million a year this year and next and there is an offset provision in the NHL rules where when a coach gets hired by another team, they have to figure out the difference with his former team. This is pretty important when it comes to this situation. The Chicago Blackhawks aren’t going to pay the majority of his salary for him to go find a job somewhere else. It has to be the right fit. But also, it has to be a team that can afford to pay a big part of that salary that remains on that contract."

The Oilers do have an owner with pretty deep pockets.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
3 Losses in a row.

Officially on the outside looking in.

We gotta pounce.

But Oilers gonna Oil. Tmac will walk at the end of his contract.
I don’t think he gets fired unless the team goes into tank standings wise like they did last year. I’m hopefull that if they rattle off a long losing streak here it’ll happen but I’m not confident. My only hope is that no matter what happens Mclellan isn’t extended after his contract is up. That’s probably our realistic goal here.

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
"We know that he makes $6 million a year this year and next and there is an offset provision in the NHL rules where when a coach gets hired by another team, they have to figure out the difference with his former team. This is pretty important when it comes to this situation. The Chicago Blackhawks aren’t going to pay the majority of his salary for him to go find a job somewhere else. It has to be the right fit. But also, it has to be a team that can afford to pay a big part of that salary that remains on that contract."

The Oilers do have an owner with pretty deep pockets.

Maybe the city of Edmonton can pay his salary.

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
Quennville's might have ran out of buttons to press with the Core in CHI but it would all be new to the core here.
TMac might be running out of different messages in Edmonton and it might be a good time to bring in change.

His core is essentially washed up. Hossa Seabrook Crawford Toews arnt very good any more. Keith is ok. Only Kane is still a star.

Meanwhile McLellan failed mighly with a stacked san Jose team in their prime.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Welp, looks to me like it's up to Katz and Dumborelli. Dude wants to coach, and I don't think too many job openings offer a chance to coach McDavid and Draisaitl.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
I actually don't think, given the scrutiny Peter is under as well, that Katz/Bobby will let Chia make this call himself to be honest. Probably both go together.
It very well could happen this way. It depends on who made the decision to keep Mclellan last offseason. We don’t know for sure if it was Chiarelli or if it was Katz not wanting to pay the last two years of that big contract for him doing nothing. If indeed it was Chiarelli’s decision then he’s lost the courtesy of the second coach GM’s are generally afforded.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
The Oilers are too much into the "2nd chance" BS that they will give Todd until Christmas at least. This franchise has such low expectations.

A different GM with a smart owner would have pounced on this already.

Last edited:

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Friedman is chatting with Bob and of course he goes the opposite of what TSN reported and said he has heard "Q" might want to take the rest of the year off.

Last edited:

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
The Oilers are too much into the "2nd chance" BS that they will give Todd until Christmas at least. This franchise has such low expectations.

A different GM with a smart owner would have pounced on this already.

Too bad Nelson never got his second chance other than second fiddle

TB12

Apr 5, 2015
Too bad Nelson never got his second chance other than second fiddle
Didn’t really mind either way when they let him go. Hated the way MacT came down to the bench and babysat him for his first few games as HC. Talk about undermining your coach.

But then I read that article someone posted here last year about his philosophy and systems and how they attack/forecheck and I became a fan. Hindsight being 20/20 I now wish that he had been given a real shot here. I just think the org thought they needed a “name” coach for legitimacy with McDavid just being drafted.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
Didn’t really mind either way when they let him go. Hated the way MacT came down to the bench and babysat him for his first few games as HC. Talk about undermining your coach.

But then I read that article someone posted here last year about his philosophy and systems and how they attack/forecheck and I became a fan. Hindsight being 20/20 I now wish that he had been given a real shot here. I just think the org thought they needed a “name” coach for legitimacy with McDavid just being drafted.

It was pretty much that. The organization needed a big name to start the McDavid era with a bang.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Quenneville is making 6 milj. next year at sitting home in a age of 61.

Does he have passion fir a new project at this point? Dont really see it happening.

I don't buy into the "not having any passion to coach" approach. I'm not picking out your post in particular as I've seen this posted a few times since he got fired. My dad is 71 and should have retired years ago and settled down to enjoy life. He's made good money and can support he and my mom in retirement comfortably but yet he chooses to still work up north (north of Yellowknife) because he loves the work and the company he works for treats him pretty good. I've asked him why he still goes up and his answer rarely changes. Look at some of the managers in MLB...some have managed well into their late 60's (like Bobby Cox); coaches in all leagues just have that burning passion to succeed and be the man that guided their group of young men to great things.

Quinneville doesn't seem like the type of person who would just lose the passion over night. I think he'll be back coaching before the calendar turns to 2019.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
He's gonna have a lot of teams to choose from if he wants to coach again this season.

Anaheim, Edmonton, Los Angeles, New Jersey, Philadelphia, San Jose, St. Louis, and maybe even Pittsburgh.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
He's gonna have a lot of teams to choose from if he wants to coach again this season.

Anaheim, Edmonton, Los Angeles, New Jersey, Philadelphia, San Jose, St. Louis, and maybe even Pittsburgh.

zp5o6E3.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad