Quenneville...

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Quennville's might have ran out of buttons to press with the Core in CHI but it would all be new to the core here.
TMac might be running out of different messages in Edmonton and it might be a good time to bring in change.

Exactly. Meanwhile Todd got the most he could out of this team in '16-17 and is trying desperately to stay afloat this season. All of Q's buttons as you say would be new here.

Reactions: frag2

EdmFlyersfan

Feb 20, 2007
Edmonton
Wasn't the argument that Chiarelli won a cup when he first joined the Oilers?

Part of me doesnt like the old dinosaur coaches. But Quennville is proven and hes won cups. Picking a young and up and coming coach, theres always some risk involved.

That being said even though Quennville has some warts, and some things the fans wont like (because honestly almost all coaches do), I think hes an upgrade over McLellan in pretty much every area.

McLellan is pretty much a completely average coach whos incredibly stubborn.

Reactions: RegDunlop

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
Wasn't the argument that Chiarelli won a cup when he first joined the Oilers?

It was a poor arguement since as a gm Chiarelli had nothing to do with finding building the core of that team.

He did his minor adds with guys like ference after smarter better men found guys like Bergeron.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
If Mclellan was in any kind of trouble, I think we'd have heard at least some peeps and chirps leaking out by now as several days have passed since the Quinville firing (and not just an opinion piece by Staples).

I think Mclellan is likely here for a while yet.

Why

Jan 15, 2014
Edmonton
If Mclellan was in any kind of trouble, I think we'd have heard at least some peeps and chirps leaking out by now as several days have passed since the Quinville firing (and not just an opinion piece by Staples).

I would say he’s here for the season regardless unfortunately. If by some miracle he’s not, it’s gulutzan taking over

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Listening to a couple of podcasts yesterday on the plane (Ferraro whose very close with JQ and McKenzie who has the inside track on anything worthwhile knowing about) it sounds like JQ will probably sit the year out, collect his $6M from Chicago and find a job this summer in the off season when teams will be beating down his doors competing for him.

I think if the Oilers miss the playoffs we will make a very strong play for him along with possibly St Louis, Detroit, Anaheim, San Jose, and the Flyers.

Canada Drai

Dwemer Remix
Oct 4, 2017
It was a poor arguement since as a gm Chiarelli had nothing to do with finding building the core of that team.

He did his minor adds with guys like ference after smarter better men found guys like Bergeron.

I dislike Chia but this is ridiculous.You mention one player in Bergerson but fail to mention Marchand/Lucic/Rask/Seguin/Chara/Boychuk/Ference/Horton and the list goes on. All those players were acquired or drafted while he was GM. If you blast him for every single move as GM here, you can praise him for every move as GM there. Players like Pasta, Marchand, Chara, Rask (despite his typical bad starts) are STILL carrying the Bruins.

Hate him as the Oilers GM though.

To make this post relevant and not a Chia arguement, I wouldn't mind if Q signed a one year deal for the rest of this season to see if he meshes with the team, if not then whatever. Super unlikely for that to transpire though as he would want more security.

RegDunlop

Nov 5, 2016
Edmonton
Every time I watch Mclellan, I feel he's lost the locker room some time ago. A change of coach is needed. I'd rather go with the coach with the best track record.

And therein lies the difference. I just haven't gotten that feel from him yet. It felt like it a bit last year, but to me it feels like the new assistants this year have allowed him to take back the room. Hence why I don't see hiring Quenneville as much more than a lateral move.

Time for an Uber ride to find out?!!

Being serious though, I believe in a coach's shelf life. Within thier own organization and thier career. I think it's a lateral move at best. He is a man who has coached for many years and is as attached to his beliefs and systems as TMac is.
IF they don't work, then we're stuck with another stuborn dinosuar like we are now.

I'd rather opt for fresh ideas that come from coaching these milleniums. Just not Eakins foolish fresh ones!

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I dislike Chia but this is ridiculous.You mention one player in Bergerson but fail to mention Marchand/Lucic/Rask/Seguin/Chara/Boychuk/Ference/Horton and the list goes on. All those players were acquired or drafted while he was GM. If you blast him for every single move as GM here, you can praise him for every move as GM there. Players like Pasta, Marchand, Chara, Rask (despite his typical bad starts) are STILL carrying the Bruins.

Hate him as the Oilers GM though.

To make this post relevant and not a Chia arguement, I wouldn't mind if Q signed a one year deal for the rest of this season to see if he meshes with the team, if not then whatever. Super unlikely for that to transpire though as he would want more security.

Do your research. Chiarelli did not draft Marchand or Lucic, nor did he acquire Rask. Those were moves done by Gorton. Chiarelli was under contract with the Senators until the middle of July of that summer, the draft and the Rask trade were done by Jeff Gorton. He got lucky on that Seguin situation too, refusing to match on Phil Kessel and the Leafs had a lot of injuries that yeah, taking Seguin was a no-brainer. But he then throws away Seguin too, lol.

RegDunlop

Nov 5, 2016
Edmonton
The old NHL being multiple SC wins in THIS decade...….hmmmm

yeah, you hire Q any chance you get. you hire the ghost of Q which would be improvement on anything we got here.

But I'd argue that he also had the horses. Isn't that what you lament about numerous times? How we lack skill in many positions due to our personnel. Much easier to coach to a cup win with talent than without me thinks.

Everyone sh*t on Hawks mgmt for salary cap when they won 1st cup and had to dismantle. The fact that they could, then win again so recently was proof that they knew what they were doing, or at very least had the intellect to do it. I'd rather have an org go for it all when its time, and worry about money etc when you have to address it.

I'm still on the fence about coaching. But if TMac goes, please no more old ideas.

Saying that - it's just my opinion. Q is probably the best example of someone who could prove me wrong. I realize that but am worried that my instincts still say no.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I think they would be better under Quennville over McLellan, but would he magically transform them into a legit contender? No. What's holding them back from being that is poor roster building, not coaching.

Reactions: RegDunlop

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton

I don’t think he’s going to be fired today but if this team runs it’s losing streak up to six games then they’re back to two games under .500 and in the same position they were in when the rumours were circulating after the Boston game. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. We don’t know who made the decision to keep Mclellan after last year. We assume it was Chiarelli but it may have been Katz because he didn’t want to pay his high paid coach for two more years to do nothing. If it was Katz then Mclellan is likely safe all year and maybe longer. If it was Chiarelli then Mclellan could be in big trouble very soon and it won’t be just him either. Who made the final decision?

Reactions: McFuhryous

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
He's ready anytime they say on HNIC. Too bad they can't just play their next game and get home and make their decision. Its either now or never (and end of the year is basically never).

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
Is he still available? Tuned out for a couple days.

And what's his gum of choice?

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Joel please stay away for your health.

How good is he in Chicago anyway now that Keith is declining and their forward depth is shot?

1 world class player + a mediocre roster = no playoffs for Quennville in Chicago, but that's magically gonna change in Edmonton? Why exactly?

He did well in Chicago because his GM gave him a ton of great players, not just Patrick Kane + Toews + scrubs. McLellan would probably do OK too if you gave him McDavid + Toews + Hossa + Sharp + Panarin + Keith + Seabrook + Hjalmarsson (McDavid in for Kane).

Reactions: space321

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad