Quenneville...

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Hawks fans called Q trash and wanted him gone. A bunch of Leafs fans want Babcock gone. If you look at the Jack Adams winners from 09/10-15/16, no coach is still with their team, and only 1 (Trotz) of those 7 is still an NHL head coach. Point is, the grass isn’t always greener, and most of the “top” coaches aren’t really any better than the guys right below them.

Todd has his flaws, like anyone, but he’s also the best coach we’ve had since Sather, and in the upper tier of NHL coaches.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Todd has his flaws, like anyone,

Agreed.

but he’s also the best coach we’ve had since Sather,

Debatable. Prime MacTavish was pretty comparable to TM now.

and in the upper tier of NHL coaches.

Also debatable.

I think guys like Cooper, Sullivan, Trotz, Laviolette and Cassidy are clearly better than him.

He's probably in the same tier as Babcock (who is overrated), Maurice, Julien, Hitchcock and Quenneville. Changing from TM to Joe Q is fairly lateral IMO.

Reactions: RegDunlop and ujju2

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Agreed.

Ya that’s fair. MacT was very good at his peak. I considered mentioning him, but Todd will likely end as the more winning of the 2, which will help tilt the scales imo. The point is more that we’ve had 12 coaches (5 of which came between MacT and McLellan), and we can only confidently say one is better. That’s pretty telling imo that it’s not the time to make a knee jerk reaction

Also debatable.

I think guys like Cooper, Sullivan, Trotz, Laviolette and Cassidy are clearly better than him.

He's probably in the same tier as Babcock (who is overrated), Maurice, Julien, Hitchcock and Quenneville. Changing from TM to Joe Q is fairly lateral IMO.

By that I mean, if you split the league into 2 or 3 tiers, he belongs in the top group. Not necessarily that he’s top 2 in the league or anything

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
Hawks fans called Q trash and wanted him gone. A bunch of Leafs fans want Babcock gone. If you look at the Jack Adams winners from 09/10-15/16, no coach is still with their team, and only 1 (Trotz) of those 7 is still an NHL head coach. Point is, the grass isn’t always greener, and most of the “top” coaches aren’t really any better than the guys right below them.

Todd has his flaws, like anyone, but he’s also the best coach we’ve had since Sather, and in the upper tier of NHL coaches.
How are you determining this? He's had the best roster on paper to work with since the Sather days.

GodPucker

Sep 27, 2017

But but, A guy like Q will make Lucic's hands better! Pool Party a better thinker! Probably wave his magic wand and get Strome scoring and have our D actually get pucks through to the net.

Doesn't matter who is behind the bench. If you have bad payers, you are most likely going to be bad in the end.

Niten Ichi Ryu

Jul 1, 2018
He's the new hot chick on the block. Only a matter of time before someone picks him up. If given the choice, I actually think he would choose Edmonton. He's called McDavid and Draisaitl 'real dangerous weapons' on a number of occasions. He's a championship caliber coach, McLellan is not, not even close. If Oiler's losing streak hits 4, I think it's a no-brainer

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
He's the new hot chick on the block. Only a matter of time before someone picks him up. If given the choice, I actually think he would choose Edmonton. He's called McDavid and Draisaitl 'real dangerous weapons' on a number of occasions. He's a championship caliber coach, McLellan is not, not even close. If Oiler's losing streak hits 4, I think it's a no-brainer

McLellan bought himself at least the entire month of November with that 8-4-1 start.

Soul8

Jan 20, 2018
Has Stauffer had much to say about him? He tends to have his finger on the pulse

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
The thing is that there aren't many coaches that win Stanley Cups with different teams. The only one in modern history I can think of Bowman, and that isn't even all that modern anymore. Much like there aren't any GMs who win cups with different teams.

If we move on from Todd, which I'm fine with, we have to find the next guy, not the one that did it and gradually faded away.

Reactions: RegDunlop

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
I wouldn't do it. Don't really like what Hawks fans have been saying about Q for quite a while now. Sounds like more of the same at best. I'm willing to give McLellan his chance.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
I wouldn't do it. Don't really like what Hawks fans have been saying about Q for quite a while now. Sounds like more of the same at best. I'm willing to give McLellan his chance.
3 cups vs none. Not exactly the same.

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
3 cups vs none. Not exactly the same.

At this point it is. In fact based on some things I've heard from Hawks fans (take it with a grain of salt, of course), sounds almost like Q has lost some of his desire to win the cup again. I'd rather hang on to McLellan and see if the team makes the playoffs (I expect they will). If they miss, hire the best option in the offseason.

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Agreed.

Also debatable.

Agreed on basically all accounts. Though I'm not quite sure I'd have Cooper in the top list.

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
But but, A guy like Q will make Lucic's hands better! Pool Party a better thinker! Probably wave his magic wand and get Strome scoring and have our D actually get pucks through to the net.

Doesn't matter who is behind the bench. If you have bad payers, you are most likely going to be bad in the end.

I don't even think the team is bad, but I agree. I wouldn't blame TMac for much of anything so far this season. Actually, I wouldn't need to, because overall the season's going fine.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
At this point it is. In fact based on some things I've heard from Hawks fans (take it with a grain of salt, of course), sounds almost like Q has lost some of his desire to win the cup again. I'd rather hang on to McLellan and see if the team makes the playoffs (I expect they will). If they miss, hire the best option in the offseason.
Every time I watch Mclellan, I feel he's lost the locker room some time ago. A change of coach is needed. I'd rather go with the coach with the best track record.

The idea of coaching the best player in the world will bring new desire

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Every time I watch Mclellan, I feel he's lost the locker room some time ago. A change of coach is needed. I'd rather go with the coach with the best track record.

The idea of coaching the best player in the world will bring new desire

And therein lies the difference. I just haven't gotten that feel from him yet. It felt like it a bit last year, but to me it feels like the new assistants this year have allowed him to take back the room. Hence why I don't see hiring Quenneville as much more than a lateral move.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad