Quebec still in discussions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anisimovs AK

Apr 14, 2006
Columbus, OH
I do not doubt this, but do you know how this loosely breaks down? national contracts versus (which) local markets? thanks
$200 a year from NBC, roughly $140 million from MLB'S Bamtech and ESPN Plus for digital rights, roughly $400 million from Canadian tv, then the rest from international rights.

Teams negotiate their local tv/radio contracts separately from the league, which is why I only included the national contracts. For example, San Jose has a somewhat notoriously poor local tv deal, whereas the Kings make $20 million a year from their local deal

Reactions: GuelphStormer

KevFu

May 22, 2009
Phoenix from Rochester via New Orleans
Not sure I buy your champion t-shirt factor. Given the profit margin on a shirt, selling 2 million more of them in one market over another is chicken-feed compared to the expense of operating an NHL franchise. No disrespect to chickens.

In my opinion, Quebec City is not going to get a franchise for reasons of the province's politics and personalities. As for why teams keep staying, in Florida and Dallas it's because of billionaires with big bank accounts and bigger egos. In Arizona, it's a complete mystery -- which of course opens the door for endless theories, conspiracies, speculations, spreadsheets, bullsheets, and bored old guys who hang around in here.

The t-shirt thing is just a quick, simple visual example of the principle of potential growth at work. A franchise like Arizona or Florida CAN WORK to make people care about their product. But franchises like Buffalo, Carolina and Winnipeg can't control how many people live in their markets. There's nothing they can do to increase that number without a comic book villain's scheme to sneak fertility drugs into the water supply.

Dallas has often had very good operating income.

Arizona still has a franchise because Bettman and co. have worked tirelessly to save it. There hasn't always been the money, there might not be now. I'm not sure why Atlanta didn't get a similar benefit, it also had a struggling team in an overly sprawling sunbelt metro.

Operating income is essentially meaningless though. Not making money and CAN'T make money are two different things.

The Thrashers essentially got evicted from Atlanta by their own owners. If you look at other popular BOH topics:
1. The Islanders had a terrible lease until 2015 that crippled them financially and the franchise was just terrible and killing time until the lease was up.
2. In Houston, we acknowledge that "no one" can get an NHL team there except for the owner of the Rockets because of the clauses in his lease to the Toyota Center.

The owners of the Atlanta Hawks/Thrashers controlled the lease to Philips Arena (no clue what it's called now), and when they put the Thrashers up for sale, it essentially created a situation just like those.

For the Thrashers to stay in Atlanta, a new local owner would have to buy the team and VOLUNTEER FOR THAT Islanders situation. Just like anyone trying to bring an NHL team has to cut a deal with the Rockets owner (aka, Volunteer for that Islanders/SMG situation). Because those are terrible options, no one was interested in buying the Thrashers to keep them in Atlanta, so the NHL quickly got the deal done with True North so they could shuffle off to Winnipeg.

Many markets are failing and these markets are not the reason why TV revenues exploded. TV revenues exploded because the whole media landscape changed.

Heck, if anything, the failed market are part of why the NHL is lagging behind other sports when it comes to their revenue structure. That being said, it has more to do with the fact that hockey is a niche sport in the US than to any failed strategy.

As someone with a Nordiques avatar, you should understand that markets don't fail. Teams move because of circumstance. If your arena is old, or your lease is terrible, or your arena is in a terrible location... then you can't bring in revenue streams that everyone else can bring in and you fall behind. And when no one wants to buy the team under those conditions, there's no choice but relocation. That's what happened to the Nordiques (old arena, owner had to sell to Colorado). No one in their right mind would call Quebec City a "failed market." So we should recognize the same situations in other cities.

Stumbledore

Jan 1, 2018
Canada
And when no one wants to buy the team under those conditions, there's no choice but relocation. That's what happened to the Nordiques (old arena, owner had to sell to Colorado). No one in their right mind would call Quebec City a "failed market." So we should recognize the same situations in other cities.

I like most of your post but you're grossly over-simplifying the battle between owner Marcel Aubut (an avowed federalist) and premier Jacques Parizeau (an avowed separatist). While you claim no one wanted to buy the team and the owner had to sell, Aubut had more than one offer for the team - heck, even Parizeau offered to buy them - but Aubut decided to stick it to Parizeau by quickly selling the team to Denver.

A couple of quotes from the Canadian Encyclopedia give a glimpse into the problem:

"Aubut claimed that the team could not survive in the NHL's smallest market without a new, publicly funded arena and ongoing government support. But Quebec Premier Jacques Parizeau instead offered to buy out Aubut and underwrite some team deficits for two years while the provincial government conducted a feasibility study on the arena. That, the owners decided, was not enough - and now the soon-to-be-renamed Nordiques are off to Denver."

"When asked if the province would make a last-ditch effort to save the team, Parizeau replied: "I have more important things to deal with than Mr. Aubut's every little twitch."

Ouch!

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
The $5 billion in revenue (actually $5.232 billion Canadian spread over 12 years) is what Rogers paid the NHL for media rights in Canada.

If you think that hockey is a niche sport in Canada, I'm afraid I have nothing more to say to you.
You need to take a trip out east. In terms of hockey, things are way different from even 2004. The lockouts did a number on popularity.

Stumbledore

Jan 1, 2018
Canada
You need to take a trip out east. In terms of hockey, things are way different from even 2004. The lockouts did a number on popularity.

My travelling days are over but I agree things are way different now. Lockouts did damage the popularity of hockey, but I think the soaring costs will have a much larger impact. A kid's equipment practically bankrupts a family and the cost of ice time is ridiculous. Given how relatively inexpensive it is for a kid to take up soccer or basketball, I expect that in a decade or two they will pass hockey in terms of player registrations.

But to call hockey a niche sport in Canada really reflections a willful ignorance of how things are in the Great White North.

Reactions: voyageur

KevFu

May 22, 2009
I like most of your post but you're grossly over-simplifying the battle between owner Marcel Aubut (an avowed federalist) and premier Jacques Parizeau (an avowed separatist). While you claim no one wanted to buy the team and the owner had to sell, Aubut had more than one offer for the team - heck, even Parizeau offered to buy them - but Aubut decided to stick it to Parizeau by quickly selling the team to Denver.

Extremely valid point. I admit not being totally up to expert level knowledge on nuances of that situation, so thank you for offering me more insight.

That being said, those nuances and details are exactly the same kind of thing that illustrates the point: situations and nuances are to blame and not "the market failed." Politics blocked a solution from being possible before Aubut gave up and sold.

I used to point out that the New York metro area had three teams, and their rankings in revenues were 2, 15 and 29. You can't look at team 29 and call the market a failure when same market has 2nd team in revenue. You have to look at the circumstances between the two: Rangers operate MSG, Islanders had terrible lease leeching off revenue streams.

I'd say that 90% of people here or more think that Nordiques 2.0 would be quite successful in a new, modern arena, which has already been built. With a new arena, they would have been able to keep up with modern revenue streams.

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
I'd say that 90% of people here or more think that Nordiques 2.0 would be quite successful in a new, modern arena, which has already been built. With a new arena, they would have been able to keep up with modern revenue streams.

Having a hard cap--and lucrative TV deals--in place would help the Nords 2.0 a lot IMO.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
I hope Quebec doesn't get a team any time soon. I'd much rather them take advantage of some new markets that have a chance at bringing tremendous growth to the league, vs a retread like QC where a team won't be very profitable or grow the league at all.

GuelphStormer

Mar 20, 2012
Guelph, ON
I hope Quebec doesn't get a team any time soon. I'd much rather them take advantage of some new markets that have a chance at bringing tremendous growth to the league, vs a retread like QC where a team won't be very profitable or grow the league at all.
in theory you may be right but all told, well over a billion dollars has been wasted in Phoenix growing the game.

WeaponOfChoice

Jan 25, 2020
I'd much rather see the NHL take advantage of fans it already has in markets that are underserved.

End on a Hinote

Registered Abuser
Aug 22, 2011
Northern British Columbia
I used to point out that the New York metro area had three teams, and their rankings in revenues were 2, 15 and 29. You can't look at team 29 and call the market a failure when same market has 2nd team in revenue. You have to look at the circumstances between the two: Rangers operate MSG, Islanders had terrible lease leeching off revenue streams.

Not really on topic, but your preaching to the choir on this one.

If you think its hard living in a city where people think that, try living in a whole country. One team (Ottawa) is struggling in ticket sales and many non-Canadian fans now think no where in the entire country can support a team anymore with some thinking a couple should even be relocated.

KevFu

May 22, 2009

But you can DO BOTH.

And it's actually smart to do both. I know I mentioned this a while back (like 2013) when I was reading tea-leaves about rumors of "Quebec and Markham after the new CBA" and "Coyotes might go to Seattle... or Portland" and then they expanded with Vegas...

If you were going to grow the league from 30 to 36, you'd want:

Slam dunk successful markets (Quebec, GTA2/Markham)
Probable successful markets that open up the Pacific Northwest (Portland, Seattle)
A big TV market that will most-likely be solid based on a peer success story (Houston)
An experiment that would bring massive media attention to the league (Las Vegas)
That's two eastern time zone teams, and four non-ETZ teams, providing balance and happiness.
Another expansion/relocation article with a twist

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
I'd much rather see the NHL take advantage of fans it already has in markets that are underserved.
What makes a market deserved or undeserved though? What makes Quebec City "deserve" a NHL team? I see so many people acting like the market is entitled to a team just because there are a ton of hockey fans, but that really isn't how this works. What exactly does Quebec have to offer the NHL, that Portland or Houston doesn't?

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
But you can DO BOTH.

And it's actually smart to do both. I know I mentioned this a while back (like 2013) when I was reading tea-leaves about rumors of "Quebec and Markham after the new CBA" and "Coyotes might go to Seattle... or Portland" and then they expanded with Vegas...

If you were going to grow the league from 30 to 36, you'd want:

Slam dunk successful markets (Quebec, GTA2/Markham)
Probable successful markets that open up the Pacific Northwest (Portland, Seattle)
A big TV market that will most-likely be solid based on a peer success story (Houston)
An experiment that would bring massive media attention to the league (Las Vegas)
That's two eastern time zone teams, and four non-ETZ teams, providing balance and happiness.
Another expansion/relocation article with a twist
If the NHL expands to 34, I wouldn't mind seeing Quebec City as the Eastern market to keep the conferences balanced, alongside a Portland or Houston, but I wouldn't want to see a team in an existing market relocate there.

KevFu

May 22, 2009
Good stuff.

Phoenix would do fine if the team was ran competently. Other non-traditional markets had similar issues before finding success.

Right, Tampa was a disaster for a decade or two. In an 12-year span from 1998-2010, Tampa had five different owners, the same number Arizona has had from 2008-2020. Now, Tampa are rock stars, with revenues doubling, value tripling and attendance being like 95+ percent under Vinik.

What makes a market deserved or undeserved though? What makes Quebec City "deserve" a NHL team? I see so many people acting like the market is entitled to a team just because there are a ton of hockey fans, but that really isn't how this works. What exactly does Quebec have to offer the NHL, that Portland or Houston doesn't?

I don't like "deserve" as a part of expansion city discussions. But Quebec City is obviously a market where the NHL can and would be successful with a modern NHL arena and the revenue it provides. Something we've NEVER SEEN because the Colisee was 30 years old when the Nordiques joined the NHL (maybe because I'm an Islanders fan, I can easily recognize this, and feel a kinship; I don't know).

Plus I think with Bettman being 68 years old and entering his last chapter as commissioner, I think that the "legacy shopping" aspect makes perfect sense. Expansion takes time (I'm like, quoting myself on teams 33-36 from posts I wrote in 2013!), so I think he has a rough sketch for an exit plan. Vegas, Seattle, (Portland/San Diego/Other west team), Quebec, Houston and broker a Rogers/Bell divorce for a second Southern Ontario team; Then retires with the NHL having overseen a robust expansion to every part of the US, nine Canadian teams and his biggest correctable failures (Quebec, Minnesota, Winnipeg) fixed.

If the NHL expands to 34, I wouldn't mind seeing Quebec City as the Eastern market to keep the conferences balanced, alongside a Portland or Houston, but I wouldn't want to see a team in an existing market relocate there.

I agree because I don't think we have any markets really worth giving up on. The Coyotes have been a nightmare, but nothing a new arena in a centralized location couldn't fix. If anyone relocated, I would think Florida to Atlanta (or long-shot legacy shopping: Hartford). You don't need teams in Miami, Phoenix, Dallas, or hypothetically Houston being top 10 in revenue, winning 75% of Cups, selling out every night. You just need them as teams in the league that function like other healthy teams in the league: Good years, down years, win a Cup every 30 years or so. Basically what Dallas has been.

Reactions: Melrose Munch

WeaponOfChoice

Jan 25, 2020
I said underserved not undeserved.

Taking advantage of a market already filled with fans is not a negative. The NHL is the only league that seems to think that way.

And to answer your question a larger Canadian TV Deal.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH

WeaponOfChoice

Jan 25, 2020
Plus I think with Bettman being 68 years old and entering his last chapter as commissioner, I think that the "legacy shopping" aspect makes perfect sense. Expansion takes time (I'm like, quoting myself on teams 33-36 from posts I wrote in 2013!), so I think he has a rough sketch for an exit plan. Vegas, Seattle, (Portland/San Diego/Other west team), Quebec, Houston and broker a Rogers/Bell divorce for a second Southern Ontario team; Then retires with the NHL having overseen a robust expansion to every part of the US, nine Canadian teams and his biggest correctable failures (Quebec, Minnesota, Winnipeg) fixed.
If anywhere in Ontario gets a team before Hamilton, I'll stop watching the NHL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad