Quebec still in discussions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pandemonia

Aug 30, 2020
Ice Edge Hockey was one group..... I posted the link above. And they never wanted to move the team to Saskatoon.

Bear in mind I've been following all this since 2009. Aside from Jerry Reinsdorf, Greg Jameson, Matthew Hulsizer, Bill Gallacher, Darin Pastor (bet not many remember him), Jim Balsillie, Andrew Barroway, and now Alex Meruelo..... those who actually put bids in....... what group that never got past the tire kicking stage is the other????

Thx for the list of names. Ever thought of writing a book about Coyotes tire fire?

Reactions: Luckylarry

GuelphStormer

Mar 20, 2012
Guelph, ON
Sampled that a bunch of nights, lol, you could make a netflix soap outta that thread.
but that soap is an actual ride that Coyotes fans have to go thru. TL has shown me that perspective is important here. what you and I might see as a soap or a tire fire or just a set of mysterious or stupid business decisions are at the same time seen, felt, as the heart-breaking possibility that the team might leave just like in winnipeg 1, atlanta 1 and 2, quebec ... it sucks

Reactions: TheLegend

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
but that soap is an actual ride that Coyotes fans have to go thru. TL has shown me that perspective is important here. what you and I might see as a soap or a tire fire or just a set of mysterious or stupid business decisions are at the same time seen, felt, as the heart-breaking possibility that the team might leave just like in winnipeg 1, atlanta 1 and 2, quebec ... it sucks

I’ve mentioned it a couple of times.

The Coyotes were/are a prime example of how you don’t enter a market. It was done with little or no preparation, followed up with a couple of decades worth of half-assed corrections. Some of it can be attributed to the people who took the reins of the franchise and some to the league itself.

It’s NOT a condemnation of the market.

Stumbledore

Jan 1, 2018
Canada
I’ve mentioned it a couple of times.

The Coyotes were/are a prime example of how you don’t enter a market. It was done with little or no preparation, followed up with a couple of decades worth of half-assed corrections. Some of it can be attributed to the people who took the reins of the franchise and some to the league itself.

It’s NOT a condemnation of the market.

To call Phoenix a hockey market after more than 20 years of fans' disinterest and apathy is to live in your own reality. In my reality, Phoenix will never be a hockey market.

Exit, pursued by a bear.

MNNumbers

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2011
I have no idea how this thread turned into a commentary on Phoenix, unless it happens to be that Quebec is the prime spot to relocate to, if that becomes necessary.

Honestly....

Phoenix? Probably you would call Phoenix as a potential market one that needs special care to develop, simply because it doesn't have an inherent culture of hockey or winter sports (for obvious reasons). Does that make it an impossible market? Probably not. Is there such a thing as an impossible market? Sure. Too small would be impossible. Not enough money would be impossible.

But, challenging? Yes, Phoenix is a challenging market. Unfortunately, we don't know how much potential the market really has, because there has never been any positive news to create excitement in the market. Basically, for 15 years there has been more coverage asking "When will they relocate away? And, where will they relocate to?" than there has been about "We're really excited about next year because a, b, c....."

Reactions: Luckylarry

Pandemonia

Aug 30, 2020
To call Phoenix a hockey market after more than 20 years of fans' disinterest and apathy is to live in your own reality. In my reality, Phoenix will never be a hockey market.

Exit, pursued by a bear.

You doing shakespeare again or is that other bear-something mod chasing you?

Last edited:

Pandemonia

Aug 30, 2020
I have no idea how this thread turned into a commentary on Phoenix, unless it happens to be that Quebec is the prime spot to relocate to, if that becomes necessary.

Honestly....

Phoenix? Probably you would call Phoenix as a potential market one that needs special care to develop, simply because it doesn't have an inherent culture of hockey or winter sports (for obvious reasons). Does that make it an impossible market? Probably not. Is there such a thing as an impossible market? Sure. Too small would be impossible. Not enough money would be impossible.

But, challenging? Yes, Phoenix is a challenging market. Unfortunately, we don't know how much potential the market really has, because there has never been any positive news to create excitement in the market. Basically, for 15 years there has been more coverage asking "When will they relocate away? And, where will they relocate to?" than there has been about "We're really excited about next year because a, b, c....."

Yeah your first sentence nails it. Phoenix market gets tons of attention cause the business case study of the Coyotes. Probly half the MBA programs in the country maybe studying the Coyotes cause its been such a sh!tshow from start to finish like some of these movies (Gigli) that are so horrible bad that youve gotta see them. Or maybe those old cliffhangers on Nick where u know the hero gonna die a certain death but next episode hes survived. Everybody thinks NHL will be great business anywhere and nobody wants to admit that some places in some economics the people just dont wanna go to hockey games. Theres like a ton of excuses in the maga thread about how the team will do real great if this or if that were fixed but nobody ever shows a market analysis 101 about whose gonna show up for games. But the hero keeps surviving the cliff here.

So the moose dont say why Phoenix will never be a hockey market and never gives any those supporting arguements hes always so big on but maybe he's right. Maybe there Phoenix case study says there's no market there for hockey.

Reactions: Llama19

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
Theres like a ton of excuses in the maga thread about how the team will do real great if this or if that were fixed but nobody ever shows a market analysis 101 about whose gonna show up for games.

Excuses or truths? New ownership and a better team for '19-20 saw attendance and television ratings both increase. Surprise, surprise.

Reactions: Venial Cyn

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH

Exit, pursued by a bear.

Well I don’t hibernate.... and have the posting times at all hours of the day to show for it. :D So I’m not chasing you anywhere.

But do note I did mention “market” and not “hockey market”.

BTW... Your reality also involves an annual de-mossing of the antlers. So I’ll just presume it’s “that time again”. :laugh:

Reactions: Venial Cyn
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad