Quebec still in discussions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dynamite Kid

Jun 26, 2018
Des discussions toujours en cours pour un retour des Nordiques à Québec

While the subject of the return of the Nordics has almost disappeared from the public space in recent months, the mayor of Quebec said Monday that discussions are still ongoing.

“I'm trying to find out what the state of the finances of the National Hockey League is. I'm on the phone. There are people we know in some clubs. We are trying to see how things are going, ”replied the mayor of Quebec briefly, when the Videotron Center, still without a National League Hochey team, celebrated its fifth anniversary in September.

“We are trying to find out which clubs could have the most financial problems. It would be really sad, ”he said sarcastically.

“I'm trying to get an idea of the state of the situation to see if the current situation can benefit us. I'm here. I won't go any further because it will get complicated. ”

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
I seems like it's just the mayor doing a round in the local media and calling around to try and find out something that may or may not be happening.

If there is a club in trouble, the league would reach out to Quebecor. Mr. Labeume needs to stay in his lane.

Reactions: Smirnov2Chistov

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005
"Quebec still wants to be in discussions" would be more appropriate. Any relocation is very very unlikely.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
EXCEPT - If fans are not allowed anytime soon some teams could have an issue with payroll.

Why punish the fans and cities over something the NHL has no control over. It would be stupid to say see ya right in the middle of a virus mess.

Worst case some teams are sold at a cheap price and still keep teams where they are at than relocated them.

Last edited:

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I seems like it's just the mayor doing a round in the local media and calling around to try and find out something that may or may not be happening.

If there is a club in trouble, the league would reach out to Quebecor. Mr. Labeume needs to stay in his lane.

However, Mayor Labeaume could in theory void the arena contract with Quebecor because they failed to provide a team and then offer a current NHL owner a very favorable lease in return for a team relocating.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
However, Mayor Labeaume could in theory void the arena contract with Quebecor because they failed to provide a team and then offer a current NHL owner a very favorable lease in return for a team relocating.

And who is going to be that team they'll acquire? NHL doesn't seem keen on relocating the coyotes especially not when they just got a new owner in the past year that might have arena solution in the works. Panthers? who has an expensive penalty to break the lease which doesn't expire until 2028?

I just don't see the NHL ever interested in relocating any time soon. There is no options right now virus or no virus. Like i posted we could see a few teams being sold on the cheap while still remaining in the markets they are in.

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON

Is there a clause in the lease that allows the city to void it for that reason? I've never seen anything to support that.

Otherwise, as others have said, if a team is having trouble making ends meet with no ticket sales, those can't be sold in QC either right now.

What would be more likely I think is once Covid is done, a team's extra losses pushes an owner to sell sooner than expected could happen. They would still need to exhaust interests to keep the team in the current market first.

Reactions: Stumbledore

Major4Boarding

Unfamiliar Moderator
Jan 30, 2009
South of Heaven
Is there a clause in the lease that allows the city to void it for that reason? I've never seen anything to support that.

Otherwise, as others have said, if a team is having trouble making ends meet with no ticket sales, those can't be sold in QC either right now.

What would be more likely I think is once Covid is done, a team's extra losses pushes an owner to sell sooner than expected could happen. They would still need to exhaust interests to keep the team in the current market first.

Check under Force Majeure.

Reactions: Llama19

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
And who is going to be that team they'll acquire? NHL doesn't seem keen on relocating the coyotes especially not when they just got a new owner in the past year that might have arena solution in the works. Panthers? who has an expensive penalty to break the lease which doesn't expire until 2028?

I just don't see the NHL ever interested in relocating any time soon. There is no options right now virus or no virus. Like i posted we could see a few teams being sold on the cheap while still remaining in the markets they are in.

The prime suspect lives in Barbados and owns an arena that needs renovation work. More importantly, he already has an existing regional TV contract in the zone Quebec is located in. Bell Media would be delighted as it would shut TVAS out of having a full-time team during the season.

Is it likely? Doubtful but if the City of Quebec is willing to give him a lease and also agree to maintain the venue then it could be in play. No current US franchise is moving to Quebec as there are other options now that were not available when the Thrashers relocated in 2011.

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn

While the subject of the return of the Nordics has almost disappeared from the public space in recent months, the mayor of Quebec said Monday that discussions are still ongoing.

“I'm trying to find out what the state of the finances of the National Hockey League is. I'm on the phone. There are people we know in some clubs. We are trying to see how things are going, ”replied the mayor of Quebec briefly, when the Videotron Center, still without a National League Hochey team, celebrated its fifth anniversary in September.

“We are trying to find out which clubs could have the most financial problems. It would be really sad, ”he said sarcastically.

“I'm trying to get an idea of the state of the situation to see if the current situation can benefit us. I'm here. I won't go any further because it will get complicated. ”
What a classy dude.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site

If this was something that was close to happening, the mayor wouldn't be cold calling the leagues to get updates. If Quebec was a contingency that could happen quickly, he'd likely be in the know and be told to keep his mouth shut.

If things get bad, Quebec is right up there as a potential solution, but there's lots to play out before that happens.

Reactions: Anisimovs AK

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
If this was something that was close to happening, the mayor wouldn't be cold calling the leagues to get updates. If Quebec was a contingency that could happen quickly, he'd likely be in the know and be told to keep his mouth shut.

If things get bad, Quebec is right up there as a potential solution, but there's lots to play out before that happens.

If things get bad, houston would be getting a team first before quebec depending on the situation. It really depends on the situation and which team. Only coyotes has an arena problem but again NHL doesn't seem interested in moving that franchise and even if they did it won't be to quebec.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
The prime suspect lives in Barbados and owns an arena that needs renovation work. More importantly, he already has an existing regional TV contract in the zone Quebec is located in. Bell Media would be delighted as it would shut TVAS out of having a full-time team during the season.

Is it likely? Doubtful but if the City of Quebec is willing to give him a lease and also agree to maintain the venue then it could be in play. No current US franchise is moving to Quebec as there are other options now that were not available when the Thrashers relocated in 2011.

I think quebec is basically the very very last resort ever so they would get a team back. Could that situation happen in the decade to come sure. I just don't see the NHL wanting to go to a 15/17 alignment. They didn't during the 2015 expansion process that got vegas its team. I just don't see it happening at all. If this cause the NHL to drop the price on a team, I could see Houston Rocket's owner actually throwing that check out and relocate a team Perhaps a $$$ guy shows up for Portland Oregon. Who knows.

Of course there needs to take account that the 30 out of 31 teams is getting a 650m check (21.6m per team) from seattle. So wouldn't surprise me if teams use that check to reduce the impact the virus has on the team. Like paying signing bonuses or keeping people employed.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
If things get bad, houston would be getting a team first before quebec depending on the situation. It really depends on the situation and which team. Only coyotes has an arena problem but again NHL doesn't seem interested in moving that franchise and even if they did it won't be to quebec.

I think Bettman would make his goal to not have any team sell during the pandemic and especially not one involving relocation.

It would signal trouble and create issues with the lenders for the other teams if its perceived the league is on shaky ground in any way.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
I think Bettman would make his goal to not have any team sell during the pandemic and especially not one involving relocation.

It would signal trouble and create issues with the lenders for the other teams if its perceived the league is on shaky ground in any way.

Agreed and even if a few teams were being sold, NHL won't be the first league to do so. They'll wait for other leagues to do it first.

Stumbledore

Jan 1, 2018
Canada

While it may "seems like" to you, we don't know if or which teams may have contacted Monsieur Labeume independently.

And judging from past practice "if there is a club in trouble", the league would deny it right up until the announcement of it being sold. In fact, the Atlanta Flames actually peddled a few tickets after their team was sold.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
That makes no logical sense at all.

The NHL wasn't the first league to pause its season, they waited till after the NBA did it first. My point being the NHL doesn't want to be the first to do anything. They'll wait till some other league does it first.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Yes, it depends upon the situation.

The situation is that Houston (Tilman Fertitta) doesn't want to pay full price for a team. Quebec will eagerly pay full price for a team.

Eh, lets not go that far, They couldn't come up with enough investors to even pay the 500m fee during the last expansion draft with no virus why would anyone think they would suddenly get people to want to invest in a even higher cost while in a middle of a massive virus mess.

Stumbledore

Jan 1, 2018
Canada
The NHL wasn't the first league to pause its season, they waited till after the NBA did it first. My point being the NHL doesn't want to be the first to do anything. They'll wait till some other league does it first.

But you were talking about financial issues, which are unique to each team and within each league. Hardly the same thing, sir.

I don't think the NHL has to wait for an NFL or MLB team to react to a payroll crisis and sell/transfer a franchise before the NHL sells or moves a team.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
But you were talking about financial issues, which are unique to each team and within each league. Hardly the same thing, sir.

I don't think the NHL has to wait for an NFL or MLB team to react to a payroll crisis and sell/transfer a franchise before the NHL sells or moves a team.

To be honest i still don't think the NHL is going to have any teams sold.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad