Quebec National Assembly considering bill to outlaw court challenges in arena/NHL bid

knorthern knight

Mar 18, 2011
GTA
What is this 2016 stuff. It takes four months to build an arena.
Not in a heavily unionized featherbedding environment like Quebec. Then again, it's obviously more complex than you imagine, because at $400 million it costs 3 times as much as MTS Centre in Winnipeg:sarcasm:.

According to that same Wikipedia article, MTS Centre had groundbreaking in April 2003, and opened mid-November 2004. That's 2 summers (2003 and 2004). Unlike in the sunbelt, you cannot easily dig into frozen ground in the winter. November is pushing it.

Quebec's arena hasn't even been planned yet. It's still political pie-in-the-sky. Give them about 18 months to sit down and actually draw up plans and open contracts for bidding. Besides the arena itself, you have to integrate properly with the local road network. Since the new arena is going to be larger than MTS Centre, it's to be expected that construction will go beyond November of the 2nd construction season. That means skipping the winter, and going into the 3rd summer. So we're talking...
  • Summer 2011... QC legislature going on summer break
  • Fall-winter-spring-summer 2011-2012... sit down and plan the project
  • Fall-winter 2012-2013 tenders/bids for construction work
  • Construction seasons of 2013/2014/2015 will be the actual work.

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
What is this 2016 stuff. It takes four months to build an arena.

No. It takes significantly more than 4 months to build an NHL arena.

It took over 3 years from the groundbreaking until the first event at the HP Pavilion (then the San Jose Arena). The actual construction time was 540 days - there were some architectural changes and construction delays after the Sharks were awarded as an expansion franchise.

knorthern knight

Mar 18, 2011
GTA
No. It takes significantly more than 4 months to build an NHL arena.

It took over 3 years from the groundbreaking until the first event at the HP Pavilion (then the San Jose Arena).
And that's in San Jose, where you can actually dig into the ground in December and January.

Shawa666

May 25, 2010
Québec, Qc, Ca
No one likes the Olympic Stadium but at least when they built it it had a purpose like the Olympics and the Expos.

I'm not talking about the orginal 1.6B the conrete toilet bowl cost us, I'm talking about the 300M$ that the Provincial government will spen on the new roof for a building that gets to be used for 1 or 2 football games per year and a show every other year. Mind you I'm not counting the expenses required onlt to maintain the damn thing.

WingsFan95

Mar 22, 2008
Kanata
Is Denis a Habs fan?

I understand where he's coming from, but if he wants to be mayor he'll have to rely on the senior vote and Habs fans, which I'm not sure will be enough.

BRING BACK THE NORDS!

Vic Rattlehead*

Rather they take that money and fix some bridges, you know, things that actually matter.

Exactly.

Bridges are literally falling apart (Mercier), yet the province is going to throw money away for pro sports?

slimkay

Mar 20, 2009
Montreal
The bridge is owned by a federal crown corporation. Why should the province pay for that?

Well.. had the province been more proactive, the Hwy-30 bypass, the Metro and Commuter Rail expansions (North/South shores) would have already been completed and the Mercier bridge would be a non-story right now.

Shawa666

May 25, 2010
Québec, Qc, Ca
Well.. had the province been more proactive, the Hwy-30 bypass, the Metro and Commuter Rail expansions (North/South shores) would have already been completed and the Mercier bridge would be a non-story right now.

I'm not denying that. But Montreal can't be the sole benefactor of the province either.

borno87

Dec 16, 2010
I'm not denying that. But Montreal can't be the sole benefactor of the province either.

Listen, I understand that you want a team back, however you can't honestly look anyone dead in the eye and make an honest comparison between a bridge in Montreal and an ambitious $400M arena in Quebec City. Just because its the government spending the money, does mean they are worthy of being looked at in an apples to apples evaluation of where the government is spending its money.

If QC really wants an arena, perhaps they should scale back on their plans for this arena. Look at the MTS Centre in Winnipeg. TNSE has provided a perfect business model for QC to build a smaller, more efficient building with a focus on fan experience and world class acoustics for concerts and other events to become a very successful operation, without the NHL. The MTS Centre was built using only 30% public funds, with TNSE and its partners picking up the rest of the tab.

The entire process and the way QC and Peleadeau have gone about their quest for a new building and an NHL team just feels sketchy doesn't it? I think if they want back to the drawing board and came up with a more reasonable plan that doesn't require running afoul of provincial laws and back door dealings than everyone would be better off in the long run. I just don't see why they need to ram this deal through when there really isn't a huge sense of urgency. TNSE has proven that patience and careful planning are two very important components in achieving the goal of purchasing an NHL team.

Shawa666

May 25, 2010
Québec, Qc, Ca
Listen, I understand that you want a team back, however you can't honestly look anyone dead in the eye and make an honest comparison between a bridge in Montreal and an ambitious $400M arena in Quebec City. Just because its the government spending the money, does mean they are worthy of being looked at in an apples to apples evaluation of where the government is spending its money.

If QC really wants an arena, perhaps they should scale back on their plans for this arena. Look at the MTS Centre in Winnipeg. TNSE has provided a perfect business model for QC to build a smaller, more efficient building with a focus on fan experience and world class acoustics for concerts and other events to become a very successful operation, without the NHL. The MTS Centre was built using only 30% public funds, with TNSE and its partners picking up the rest of the tab.

The entire process and the way QC and Peleadeau have gone about their quest for a new building and an NHL team just feels sketchy doesn't it? I think if they want back to the drawing board and came up with a more reasonable plan that doesn't require running afoul of provincial laws and back door dealings than everyone would be better off in the long run. I just don't see why they need to ram this deal through when there really isn't a huge sense of urgency. TNSE has proven that patience and careful planning are two very important components in achieving the goal of purchasing an NHL team.

We have a bridge that's not in top shape condition either. The provincial didn't put any moneiy in it either. The Mercier Bridge is Ottawa's responsability, So I don't see what it has anything to do with provincial spending.

TNSE could wait, they already had their building ready. Quebec is trying to gather the same conditions. Have an arena ready, a willing owner, then ask politely for a team and wait for an opportunity. That's waht TNSE did.

As long as Montreal will ask for 300 M$ for another roof for the Olympic stadium, I'll support the 200M$ for the new arena.

Vic Rattlehead*

That's my point, money being wasted on both the Big O and new Quebec City arena are colossal wastes of resources.

Not a fan of money that could be used to fix the ****** infrastructure is going to pro sports...our roads are worse than those in third nations.

Kebekoi

Oct 3, 2006
Matane, QC
That's my point, money being wasted on both the Big O and new Quebec City arena are colossal wastes of resources.

Not a fan of money that could be used to fix the ****** infrastructure is going to pro sports...our roads are worse than those in third nations.

I didn't know that third nations live in cold winter that break the roads.

borno87

Dec 16, 2010
We have a bridge that's not in top shape condition either. The provincial didn't put any moneiy in it either. The Mercier Bridge is Ottawa's responsability, So I don't see what it has anything to do with provincial spending.

TNSE could wait, they already had their building ready. Quebec is trying to gather the same conditions. Have an arena ready, a willing owner, then ask politely for a team and wait for an opportunity. That's waht TNSE did.

As long as Montreal will ask for 300 M$ for another roof for the Olympic stadium, I'll support the 200M$ for the new arena.

TNSE's long term goal was always to bring the NHL to Winnipeg. The design and construction of the building was part of that (10 years ago). You can't look at what happened in the last 2 years as the beginning of TNSE's efforts to bring the NHL back to Winnipeg. This process started a looooong time ago, and TNSE did everything the right way from the very beginning, starting with paying for 70% of the cost of the arena. Peladeau and Quebecor are paying exactly 0% for the new arena.

Obviously there is a considerable appetite for a new building and NHL team in Quebec City. However IMO the current arena plans are not financially prudent and the process by which the Quebec government has gone about ramming this deal through is troubling. To me it's understandable that there are many in other parts of Quebec that are unhappy with the deal as it is currently constructed and I just don't see a reason why they can't come up with a more feasible and legal process, similar to what TNSE did.

Shawa666

May 25, 2010
Québec, Qc, Ca
TNSE's long term goal was always to bring the NHL to Winnipeg. The design and construction of the building was part of that (10 years ago). You can't look at what happened in the last 2 years as the beginning of TNSE's efforts to bring the NHL back to Winnipeg. This process started a looooong time ago, and TNSE did everything the right way from the very beginning, starting with paying for 70% of the cost of the arena. Peladeau and Quebecor are paying exactly 0% for the new arena.

Obviously there is a considerable appetite for a new building and NHL team in Quebec City. However IMO the current arena plans are not financially prudent and the process by which the Quebec government has gone about ramming this deal through is troubling. To me it's understandable that there are many in other parts of Quebec that are unhappy with the deal as it is currently constructed and I just don't see a reason why they can't come up with a more feasible and legal process, similar to what TNSE did.

I understand your point of view, however from Québec we have the impression that when Montreal cries for funds it always goes through the system without a hitch. But whe we as for funds for a project we need, Montreal *****es and whines.

barneyg

Apr 22, 2007
I understand your point of view, however from Québec we have the impression that when Montreal cries for funds it always goes through the system without a hitch. But whe we as for funds for a project we need, Montreal *****es and whines.

please stop with the "we". besides, there's nothing I hate more on a message board than blanket generalizations about "everybody from [city/province/country] thinks the same way". However accurately it may describe your feelings, your comment above feels the exact same way as the "people in Quebec live off the ROC's money" comments that often pollute threads relating to anything in Quebec (including Montreal issues).

Phil Parent

Sorel, 'fant d'chienne!
Feb 4, 2005
Sorel-Tracy, Quebec
Peladeau now owns a hockey team. The Montreal Junior of the QMJHL.

Per RDS. He funded Joel Bouchard's group.

Gaining experience in hockey management, I wager.

Acesolid

The Illusive Bettman
Sep 21, 2010
Québec
Some news in the case

Basically, mayor Labeaume could soon put the final touches in the deal for the construction and running of the new Colisée with Québecor.

However, this will only be valid when in September the Provincial Government (as promised by Prime Minister Charest) vote in favour of the agreement.

So hopefully if and/or when the Coyotes end up kicking the bucket sometime during/after the hockey season we'll be ready.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Some news in the case

Basically, mayor Labeaume could soon put the final touches in the deal for the construction and running of the new Colisée with Québecor.

However, this will only be valid when in September the Provincial Government (as promised by Prime Minister Charest) vote in favour of the agreement.

So hopefully if and/or when the Coyotes end up kicking the bucket sometime during/after the hockey season we'll be ready.

They shouldn't be so tied to Quebecor. They don't need them, they don't need a vote to build it. They have garanteed money from both the city and the provincial. They should build it first then take care of who should administer it. Anyway nobody other than Quebecor is interested in buying a team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad