Quebec National Assembly considering bill to outlaw court challenges in arena/NHL bid

knorthern knight

Mar 18, 2011
GTA
Of course they would, they are owned by the Molsons and they know it would be a public disaster if they ever voted against the return of the Nords. However, if they manage the arena, they will be able to block the Nords from ever coming back without a public backlash against the Habs.
If that is what the Quebec government is worried about, they could easily avoid it by having an open competition which requires that the arena-management contract will be awarded to a candidate who brings an NHL team to Quebec City and signs a 30-year lease. All legal and above board. PKP would easily win it. Even if it's someone else, Quebec wouldn't care.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
If that is what the Quebec government is worried about, they could easily avoid it by having an open competition which requires that the arena-management contract will be awarded to a candidate who brings an NHL team to Quebec City and signs a 30-year lease. All legal and above board. PKP would easily win it. Even if it's someone else, Quebec wouldn't care.

The problem with this process is that you can't negociate with the winner. If you forget something in the initial proposition, you can't reopen it. The winner gets the contract and that's it. When you negociate a deal with someone, we can always bring up new clauses. In fact, both sides can tweak things, that's what cities want to be able to do. They don't wanna be forced to deal with the lowest bidder respecting all the conditions. Sometimes, it will cost you a little more, but you'll get a better product. That's why a lot of cities are for this special bill.

Nobody wants to be handcuffed by an initial proposal. De Bellevalle is only criticizing the contract between the city and PKP because he is a Lallier apologist and Lallier didn't want to invest money for sporting events. So he dug up an unclear law and now tries to derail the project. Legally, there isn't even a problem with the Quebecor deal because the law states that the city must show that they explored all options, which they did. They met with Bell and other groups but chose Quebec. So according to the provincial law and their own city chart - which has more power than the provincial law - what they did was fine. The only problem is an ethical one and it isn't debattable in front of a court. De Bellevalle has no cause and he knows it, he is just stalling for whatever reason.

Jeffrey93

Nov 7, 2007
You don't know what you're talking about, fact is most municipalities want a similar law that applies to the whole province now :handclap:. It's an issue when 3 people can stop a city from building an arena.:shakehead

If everything was on the up and up it wouldn't be possible. The fact is things AREN'T on the up and up.

Challenging something is part of the process....an agreement has to be able to stand up to challenges, it seems this one can't....and therefore the challenges need to be blocked.

syc

Aug 25, 2003
Not Europe
Visit site
The bridge is owned by a federal crown corporation. Why should the province pay for that?

Lies I've been to Montreal. Quebec has more then one bridge.

Imagine how much Quebecors would save in auto repairs if they fixed those crumbling roads though. Maybe they can create a fund where citizens put the money they save into this arena fund. That would kill two birds with one stone.

Hockey>Infrastructure

GG

GordonGraham

Sep 12, 2009
All the money for the construction of the building is assembled :nod:

The management of the arena is settled so that means QUEBECOR finally can start negociation with the league or other franchises :yo:

We are 4 years awys from the opening of the brand new building Sept 2015

Habs05

Mar 5, 2011
Brossard, Qc
September will be a crucial month for them...

Sept 2nd: Agreement signed (Quebecor-Qc city) :handclap:

Sept 6th: DeBelleval Injuction (this guy is silly)

Sept 20th: Qc national assembly voting for the bill 204

No delay so far. If everything goes well Qc might be the frontrunner for a franchise.

MaskedSonja

Feb 3, 2007
Formerly Tinalera
Here's hoping between now and 2015 that something works out for QC for them to get a team. I have no doubt that with Winnipeg getting a team back, this is really encouraged the Nords fans they have a good chance at getting a team back.

I wonder if the "sea of blue" will be making any trips to hockey arenas again this year (that was great what they did last year)

Habs05

Mar 5, 2011
Brossard, Qc
So does this mean a building is officially gonne get build, or are there still a few more hurdles?

Quebecor, Quebec city, and QC provincial government are officially commited and the money is assembled.

But there is one last hurdle: Denis De Belleval, his injunction will be hear on september 6, his last week injuction has be denied and Quebecor will sue him for ¨abusive procedures¨

Qc national assembly resumes work on sept 20 and will pass the bill 204 ASAP (since the liberals form a majority) so De Belleval won't be a problem after that.

The work started, the city commited a few millions since febuary that's why there's no delay so far.
http://translate.google.com/transla...archives/2011/06/20110609-090418.html&act=url (google translator)

Shawa666

May 25, 2010
Québec, Qc, Ca
If it's the Isles we get, I really hope we'll honour their history by retiring the groton fisherman to the rafters of the Colisée. And hopefully it'll stay there.

Jaeger03

Nov 14, 2008
I don't believe the Isles will ever leave the New York area, but I definitely think that QC will now be used as the "threat" by Bettman in the same way Winnipeg was.
I.e. "you politicians better pony up or else we have a bona fide offer from a group up north".

I think there are other options that are more realistic for QC.

MaskedSonja

Feb 3, 2007
Formerly Tinalera
I don't believe the Isles will ever leave the New York area, but I definitely think that QC will now be used as the "threat" by Bettman in the same way Winnipeg was.
I.e. "you politicians better pony up or else we have a bona fide offer from a group up north".

I think there are other options that are more realistic for QC.

Does Winnipeg still have the "boogeyman" costume that was used with Phoenix? Maybe QC can rent it now:laugh:

Alex The Loyal

Andlauer Appreciator
Dec 4, 2010
UK
Would it be possible for an nhl team to play in the colisee while the arena is getting built?
I would assume so. The Sens started out in a ****** little arena if I remember right, so there's a Canadian example if you want one. So if the Yotes or Islanders or Panthers or whatever tip over, I'm sure QC could renovate the old arena a little to help make it last a few years

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad