WC: Quarterfinal Pre-Game Talk | FIN-NOR | RUS-CAN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Caz

Hedonist
Feb 16, 2006
Brussels, Belgium
Well that's what I mean, if Latvia can take the Finns to a shootout then Norway can certainly do it too...and even win ;)

Hockey is such serious business in Finland, that if Norway won us in a shootout on Thursday (Thor's Day, is it an Omen?), at 00:00 on Friday there would probably be a shootout with reindeer manure in Kautokeino. At 00:12 we would have occupied Finnmark and push on for Mo I Rana, sink all the fishing boats, eat their women and r a p e all their cod on the way. After that we'd ski southwards (you know Finns have good injections for faster skiing) and by 04:08 the only rink in Oslo would burn. And the only sound you'd here is the phrase "Perkele, nyt mennään saunaan (Let's go to sauna now)" after it's done. ;)

Last edited:

Blank

Apr 11, 2007
I wouldn't be too confident in facing Norway.. The Norwegians have a great goalie and a pretty dangerous PP. So it could go like the Latvia game, except Norway is waayy ahead of Latvia on all other areas.

SirKillalot

Feb 27, 2008
Norway
Hockey is such serious business in Finland, that if Norway won us in a shootout on Thursday (Thor's Day, is it an Omen?), at 00:00 on Friday there would probably be a shootout with reindeer manure in Kautokeino. At 00:12 we would have occupied Finnmark and push on for Mo I Rana, sink all the fishing boats, eat their women and r a p e all their cod on the way. After that we'd ski southwards (you know Finns have good injections for faster skiing) and by 04:08 the only rink in Oslo would burn. And the only sound you'd here is the phrase "Perkele, nyt mennään saunaan (Let's go to sauna now)" after it's done. ;)

But first, they will take EPO;)
(Note. only ski-fans will get this one)

And after a sauna;)
(Intern joke, after some nude old finnish men, tried to get some norwegian city residents to join their sauna-camping trailer).

llwyd

Feb 22, 2006
Helsinki
I must say that unlike some silly flaming and trolling here (though not very bad by regular net "standards") surely my and some other Finnish posters' comments were very evidently just good humoured teasing of Norwegians (lutefisk, Björgen, seiern er vår etc. etc.) while carefully explaining that no Finn can imaginably have anything against the Norwegian hockey team (cross country skiing though is something else again...)

But I guess any surely non-offensive bantering between Norwegians and Finns is now also off-limits? This is one strict forum!

Other Little Mikey

Aug 31, 2005
Edmonton
Hello everyone,

thought I should share this piece of information with you - according to the medical staff of the CZE team, Havlat´s left shoulder (not the right one he had operations on) was not dislocated in the game against GER - it is just badly bruised. His chances of playing yesterday were 50/50. Today they increased to 80/20...That means the second offensive line - Havlát, Eliáš, M. Michálek - will most probably be back together for the USA clash...because Michalek is luckily normally training after the cheapshot from Artyukhin. Wohooo:handclap:

Source: http://hokej.idnes.cz/havlatuv-stav...j-2011.asp?c=A110510_161454_ms-hokej-2011_cig

Any updates on Prucha? That was a nasty looking welt.

Caz

Hedonist
Feb 16, 2006
Brussels, Belgium

And after a sauna;)
(Intern joke, after some nude old finnish men, tried to get some norwegian city residents to join their sauna-camping trailer).

Yupp for the EPO (I tried to give a hint with the "injections") but about your sauna thing dream you're mixing us with the other neighbor (for Norwegians: that's the neigbor on the other side as the hand you hold your weenie with, or the landmass opposite to the ocean) :D

And as a hint to the Team NOR for Thor's Day evening, the hotel probably has a sauna. Please ask the reception.

PeacEnforcer

May 6, 2011
To: illone84

Wow! What a colossal effort to disprove the undisprovable, namely that:

1) this particular Finnish team is AVERAGE at best boasting only one potentially star player in Granlund,

2) Surely man proposes, God disposes, but divine intervention aside, it’s less than unlikely that such a lackluster hard-working star-less Finnish team (granted u have handled the norgs first, of course) can beat this flamboyant, star-studded Russian squad, coming off a victory over Canada, and therefore all fired up, clicking and brimming with confidence, TWICE IN A ROW during the same event.

3) It is even less likely, should Russia lose to Canada, that the Finns can beat the Canadians, ‘cause it normally happens once in a century

4) on top of that, in the potential bronze medal game (assuming u took care of the Norwegians) u will have to face either Czechs (can’t see them losing to the US) who look brilliant at these worlds or Sweden (another side u have abysmal record against), which effectively means only one thing: no medal for Finland this year. Sorry, mate, but u cannot choose the truth – all u can do is just accept it.

5) and finally, victories, even in one-off games, must, IDEALLY, be attributed to skills, mastery, and finesse, rather than grit, hard work or luck. That’s the way the Soviet Red Machine used to play and that’s the way it should be, at least the way I see it, 'cause for me hockey, when played by the best at their best, is a form of art rather than an ugly exercise in grit, hitting, shoving, pushing, bodychecking, and fistfighting.

Ps: The only point I concede is that at times I do sound somewhat arrogant with respect to the Finns, but not without reason: It all started yesterday during the post-game discussion of the showdown between our two nations, in which many Finnish commentators displayed extraordinary inadequacy and lack of reason and substance in evaluating the outcome in general and Russia’s performance in particular. It riled me up ‘cause every time I find it hard to put up with unsubstantiated opinions passed off as final judgment.

Pps: Nope, I have the pleasure of living in Moscow...

Caz

Hedonist
Feb 16, 2006
Brussels, Belgium
Hello everyone,

thought I should share this piece of information with you - according to the medical staff of the CZE team, Havlat´s left shoulder (not the right one he had operations on) was not dislocated in the game against GER - it is just badly bruised. His chances of playing yesterday were 50/50. Today they increased to 80/20...That means the second offensive line - Havlát, Eliáš, M. Michálek - will most probably be back together for the USA clash...because Michalek is luckily normally training after the cheapshot from Artyukhin. Wohooo:handclap:

Source: http://hokej.idnes.cz/havlatuv-stav...j-2011.asp?c=A110510_161454_ms-hokej-2011_cig

Good news for team CZE (and hockey of course) :thumbu:
Not so good news for the opponents still to meet CZE.

Brun0

Jul 24, 2009

And after a sauna;)

ahha we have the exact opposite jokes about norwegians, Björken and her "astma" ;)

Just thought of this good song.

Last edited:

member 116805

Hahaha, good one man! :P

MaNNe

Sep 27, 2009
Finland

1) this particular Finnish team is AVERAGE at best boasting only one potentially star player in Granlund,

2) Surely man proposes, God disposes, but divine intervention aside, it’s less than unlikely that such a lackluster hard-working star-less Finnish team (granted u have handled the norgs first, of course) can beat this flamboyant, star-studded Russian squad, coming off a victory over Canada, and therefore all fired up, clicking and brimming with confidence, TWICE IN A ROW during the same event.

3) It is even less likely, should Russia lose to Canada, that the Finns can beat the Canadians, ‘cause it normally happens once in a century

4) on top of that, in the potential bronze medal game (assuming u took care of the Norwegians) u will have to face either Czechs (can’t see them losing to the US) who look brilliant at these worlds or Sweden (another side u have abysmal record against), which effectively means only one thing: no medal for Finland this year. Sorry, mate, but u cannot choose the truth – all u can do is just accept it.

5) and finally, victories, even in one-off games, must, IDEALLY, be attributed to skills, mastery, and finesse, rather than grit, hard work or luck. That’s the way the Soviet Red Machine used to play and that’s the way it should be, at least the way I see it, 'cause for me hockey, when played by the best at their best, is a form of art rather than an ugly exercise in grit, hitting, shoving, pushing, bodychecking, and fistfighting.

Ps: The only point I concede is that at times I do sound somewhat arrogant with respect to the Finns, but not without reason: It all started yesterday during the post-game discussion of the showdown between our two nations, in which many Finnish commentators displayed extraordinary inadequacy and lack of reason and substance in evaluating the outcome in general and Russia’s performance in particular. It riled me up ‘cause every time I find it hard to put up with unsubstantiated opinions passed off as final judgment.

Must .... Not .... Feed .... The .... Troll ..... Again....:cry:

P.S Thank you for giving me a nice smile on my face after reading that one.

LiveeviL

No unique points
Jan 5, 2009
Sweden
As a homer I went with Sweden, but without reinforcement from Detroit I see it as Canada's to lose (to Russia most likely, they are strong now).

illone84

Sep 15, 2005
London

Thank you for responding.

However, to counter your argument's.

1) Yes, I agree this Finnish team is AVERAGE at best, however, when does Finland not have an average team at the WC?

Finland usually has a problem of bringing their best players and most recently our lovely coach Jalonen makes absent minded decisions.

This year for example, due to contract negotiations, playoffs or injury:

Lauri Korpikoski-
Niklas Hagman
Ville Leino
Kimmo Timonen
Toni Lydman
Jussi Jokinen
Joni Pitkanen
N. Backstrom

Playing as a TEAM will overcome flamboyant talent.
Just take a look back at the qf in Vancouver, Russia vs Canada, or the semi final WC in 2007, Fin vs Rus, or the semi final in Turino, Fin vs Rus.

Or how about yesterday? Fin vs Rus?

The CZE'S had less than an AVERAGE team last year and beat a Russian squad that was emulated to be the same SUPERSTAR roster that failed in the Olympics. 7-3, quite a victorious result........... for the CANADIANS :)

Yes and Mikko Koivu is just an average player too right?

2) Including Finns or not, Can you honestly tell me that this statement is not cocky?

"Finns cannot beat this flamboyant, star-studded Russian squad, coming off a victory over Canada, and therefore all fired up, clicking and brimming with confidence, TWICE IN A ROW during the same event."

3) Yes, I would rather play Russia any day over Canada. Like you said the Finns beating the Canadians in the playoffs occurs very seldom.

That being said, YES the Finns CAN beat the Russians in these situations. E.G Moscow 2007 (you live there so you'll never forget about it ;)

2006 Torino :)

flamboyant, star-studded Russian squad

You mean the great Defense and goal tending that the team is built on ? :sarcasm:

3) Finland can beat any country in the bronze game. As previously mentioned, Finland has beaten Canada in the olympics 1998, and in
the WC:

St Petersburg in 2000 against Canada,
2006 in Latvia against Canada (6-0),
and has beaten Sweden most recently in 2008.

Not to mention, we all know what happened in Vancouver against Slovakia.

Sorry, mate, but u cannot choose the truth – all u can do is just accept it.

This reminds me to let you know that you have beat Canada! That is not guaranteed! Nor is playing against Fin/Norway in the semi-final!

Just like the upsetting semi-final loss in Moscow, 2007!
ALL YOU CAN DO IS ACCEPT THE TRUTH!

5) You already know who invented the sport, and in Canada the game is played as a hard hitting, gritty, in your face type game.

The Soviet Union had the pleasure to play against non-NHL'ers :)

TheMuumio

Nov 26, 2009
Must .... Not .... Feed .... The .... Troll ..... Again....:cry:

Sounds awfully similiar to certain Peter25 (or whatever) aka The Original Jags of Jatkoaika.
I'm not blaming anyone, but it just seems fishy.

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
EPO-card. Thats unsportsmanlike :D

Again it looks like we are underdogs for this game as all these people cannot be wrong, and its really good for our team! ;)

How is the betting in norway for this game, i bet Finland has huge multiplier? Maybe i should bet at some norway's betcompany for the upset!

Last edited:

PeacEnforcer

May 6, 2011
Look, mate, I’m not playing Cassandra here, I’m just giving my views supporting them with some well-known facts and obvious truths, but I don’t go as far as to say point blank that Finland CANNOT beat Russia, Canada or Sweden. I’m just talking the odds here and explaining why I think what I think - nothing more, nothing less. As a matter of fact, impossible is nothing: if Obama could become President of the US, what is unachievable?! However, there’s history, there’s also logic and common sense and it’s exactly based on those that I make my predictions. U don’t like them as a Finn – no surprises here: it’s only natural, no problem with me. But u know what, I say we continue this argument Saturday night. I’m sure it will be one to remember for u and other Finns))haha

PS: "The Soviet Union had the pleasure to play against non-NHL'ers"

Yep, and Elvis Presley is still alive, John Lennon was a woman and Americans never landed on the Moon. How do u beat universal truths, after all?!

PeacEnforcer

May 6, 2011

You may smile yourself to death for now, for all I care, but the simple truth is: it is a smiling face on Saturday and Sunday night - not now, that is worth having. However something tells me, in your case, it will be more like a grimace of anguish, rather than smiles and hugs:)
Good luck, for u will need plenty of it to avoid inevitable tears over the weekend!

illone84

Sep 15, 2005
London
PS: "The Soviet Union had the pleasure to play against non-NHL'ers"

My bad mate, I ment in the olympics.

Yep, we shall continue this conversation tomorrow and the next few days. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad