GDT: Quarterfinal - May 23 - Czech Republic vs Germany

BigBadBoar

Dec 20, 2017
Pardubice
On paid sport 1 with less than 1% share in audience. So how many people can reach that?

It used to be on ZDF as well in the previous years. Maybe the Sport 1 bought exclusive broadcasting rights? The same issue like with the soccer CHL in the Czech Rep.?

Nexon

Apr 18, 2019
It used to be on ZDF as well in the previous years. Maybe the Sport 1 bought exclusive broadcasting rights? The same issue like with the soccer CHL in the Czech Rep.?
It’s been for 5 years at least like that in a Germany. This issue is across many sports, f.e. I like watching tennis but if I want to watch grand slams I have to pay for cable table Eurosport, if I want to watch other tournaments I have use satellite or o2 TV, if I want to watch WTA it requires other service. Terrible.

Ratatoskr

May 27, 2004
Germany
There are good DEL attendances, but national team seldom gets any note in media. It’s similar to the sports you mentioned here but here hockey dont consume 90% of public space as does Football in Germany.
That's true, unfortunately. Public interest in hockey took a steep decline in the mid-90s. I think it has solidified somewhat in recent years, but it hasn't reached the level it had in the 70s-early 90s. Back then it was clearly the second most popular team sport in Germany (or maybe it shared second place with handball, with hockey more popular in the south and handball more popular in the north). Schloder, Truntschka, Kießling, Kühnhackl et al. were household names. Everybody my generation remembers the quarter-final game against Canada in the '92 Olympics, with the puck stopping on the goal line on Draisaitl sr.'s penalty shot, and Lindros sealing the deal on his shot. These days, we do have a solid number of passionate hockey fans, but awareness among the general public is low, and the gap between soccer and hockey has widened to a gulf.

Last edited:
Reactions: Retroglyphs

BigBadBoar

Dec 20, 2017
Pardubice
It’s been for 5 years at least like that in a Germany. This issue is across many sports, f.e. I like watching tennis but if I want to watch grand slams I have to pay for cable table Eurosport, if I want to watch other tournaments I have use satellite or o2 TV, if I want to watch WTA it requires other service. Terrible.

Actually, in most of the countries the sport TV stations are private and paid. I think the Czech Rep. is rather an exception with the Czech TV having a specialized sport channel. But still I remember years when ZDF/ARD normally broadcast hockey WCH, I don't know when this changed but maybe it is connected to this whole trend of moving sports on specialized paid stations.

Nexon

Apr 18, 2019
Actually, in most of the countries the sport TV stations are private and paid. I think the Czech Rep. is rather an exception with the Czech TV having a specialized sport channel. But still I remember years when ZDF/ARD normally broadcast hockey WCH, I don't know when this changed but maybe it is connected to this whole trend of moving sports on specialized paid stations.

I dont like this trend to be honest. In Swiss hockey is on SRF 2 I think which is Swiss national channel.

GermanNuck

Jun 15, 2011
Germany
To be honest everyone with a regular cable provider can watch Sport1, there is even free streaming on their website. The issue is that since they don’t broadcast football or formula 1 they don’t really have a high reach in terms of „getting people to watch that usually watch other sports there“. If it would be broadcasted on ZDF or ARD it would be massive. Like at the olympics.

kalle wirsch

May 29, 2015
I remember the good old times when ARD and ZDF showed the WC,but only the afternoon games and half an hour before midnight a short resumee from the rest.They didn't show the finals,when it was in the evening.It was a disgrace. in the ninetees it was eurosport and from 2000 on the WC is shown on DSF/sport1.

geisterpanthers

Feb 7, 2018
Germany
There are very few casual hockey fans in Germany, like people that maybe follow the WC and Olympics and don't show much interest otherwise, those almost don't exist. Its either you are really into the sport or not at all.

Zamboni Parade

Mar 12, 2014
Germany
I don't mind it being aired on Sport1 at all, it's one of their annual flagship events so they give it quite a bit of space in their daily schedule and the two commentators are blatant homers but they can be entertaining and they know their hockey. Definitely prefer it this way.

Nexon

Apr 18, 2019
I don't mind it being aired on Sport1 at all, it's one of their annual flagship events so they give it quite a bit of space in their daily schedule and the two commentators are blatant homers but they can be entertaining and they know their hockey. Definitely prefer it this way.
I totally understand but is it a good way to expand this sport to masses?

geisterpanthers

Feb 7, 2018
Germany
To be honest everyone with a regular cable provider can watch Sport1, there is even free streaming on their website. The issue is that since they don’t broadcast football or formula 1 they don’t really have a high reach in terms of „getting people to watch that usually watch other sports there“. If it would be broadcasted on ZDF or ARD it would be massive. Like at the olympics.

I don't know the exact numbers but it's often said that hockey has very good ratings on Sport1. Like 1 to 1,5 mio people watching some of the german games and the rating being way above the average on that channel. I wouldn't be surprised if the upcoming quarterfinal will bring some kind of new record as well.

Zamboni Parade

Mar 12, 2014
Germany
I totally understand but is it a good way to expand this sport to masses?
It's not the best way but I think it's a pretty good and realistic way. Ideally sure, you'd have one of the two big stations cover the tournament live, but that's just not going to happen.

filip85

Feb 7, 2017

I remember SAT 1 broadcasted few games in 2002. and 2003.

kudymen

Hakstok was a fascist clique hiver lickballs.gif
Jun 18, 2011
Atlanta (Decatur)
I have read Vrána as a 13th forward is a possibility tomorrow. If true, facepalm. Facepalm level over 9000

edit - ah, its discussed in the roster thread. Sorry about that.

Reactions: Wooren

Lauro

Charlie Conacher
Jun 28, 2008
Berlin
So my 2nd and 3rd favourite national teams square off against each other. Hopefully Germany can out up a good fight.

Reds4Life

Dec 24, 2007
This should be a piece of cake. 5 - 1 Czechs. No one says it out loud, but the Germans are just a much worse team, by far the worst team in the QFs.

GettingYourMoms

Jun 6, 2018
I am not saying you're wrong, but I do hope the Czech players feel the same way.
Our guys dont underestimate germans like Kahun and your coach underestimate czechs in your media. Remember only russians defeated us, and 5 of our guys are top 10 in productivity on this tournament, but i get it, your players are in euforia, after game with weak Finland and seeing themselves in semis.

klozge

Avs
Jul 19, 2009
Espelkamp, Germany
Our guys dont underestimate germans like Kahun and your coach underestimate czechs in your media. Remember only russians defeated us, and 5 of our guys are top 10 in productivity on this tournament, but i get it, your players are in euforia, after game with weak Finland and seeing themselves in semis.
Are you for real?

Ratatoskr

May 27, 2004
Germany
One quote I found from our coach was "If we perform as a compact unit again, surely we have a chance". Doesn't sound like uderestimation to me.
Eishockey-WM 2019: Deutschland-Trainer Söderholm vor Tschechien selbstbewusst | Mehr Eishockey

To me, it's quite obvious that Czech Republic are clear favourites, but Germany do have a real chance. I haven't seen CR play, but their results, as you say, have been good. Germany, OTOH, haven't been playing consistently well, even though they mostly got the results they needed. But they have improved over the course of the tournament, and they arguably have the best goalie and the best skater in this matchup. Let's see how it goes. I'm hoping for a good, close game.

Reactions: Czechboy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad