GDT: Quarterfinal • May 12 • Russia 2, Canada 1 • Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Imagine this roster with better coaching. I think Canadians would've been rocking back and forth, with a blank stare in a cold shower after that...

Maybe.

I wonder if the competition would have gotten Canada going.

I think Canada plays Russia better when they're a bit of an underdog. They can say "No one expects us to win this game."

But with Russia limping into the playoffs, it kind of took the edge off and let Russia play as the underdog.

Russia's been much better as an underdog in recent years.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
At the next Olympics, the Canadians exorcised their demons. The Russian team will be highly motivated in Sochi.

They need to replace Bykov by then.

This kind of performance won't do at home, with all of that pressure.

It just might be the biggest hockey tournament in Russian history, certainly the most important Olympic one.

Unless the NHLers can't go. That would really ruin a terrific opportunity.

petr86

Oct 9, 2010
Praha
Posting to say this:
- big rinks indeed sucks
- it is not YOUR game my Canadian friends, you may be (and are) the best in it, but you dont own it, it is everyones game
- I am afraid Russia will win this tournament now, this win will make them stronger mentally
- go outside with your friends, stop arguing, every international tournament is the same on hfboards, complete **** storm
- and to keep me entertained till 3 AM (SJ-DET), here is a little off topic (sorry for that) : anyone knows about some hockey movie? thanx in advance, PM

jore

Dec 26, 2007
I disagree. The large ice surface takes away the intensity of the game. Even though the rosters might have better players than rosters in the NHL. It's boring hockey. And the whistling. :laugh:

I disagree. The large ice surface allows room for more skill, that's what hockey's about. For bump & grind I turn on NFL. The officiating and all coaching staff on both teams were terrible.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
Demons are easy to exorcise. In 2006, the Canadian Olympic team, with mostly the same players who played in Vancouver, got shut out by the Russians and eliminated in the quarterfinals, 2-0. At the next Olympics, the Canadians exorcised their demons. The Russian team will be highly motivated in Sochi.

I just hope the NHL participates in Sochi.

At least Ovechkin will be there regardless.

Drij

Mar 5, 2007
Demons are easy to exorcise. In 2006, the Canadian Olympic team, with mostly the same players who played in Vancouver, got shut out by the Russians and eliminated in the quarterfinals, 2-0. At the next Olympics, the Canadians exorcised their demons. The Russian team will be highly motivated in Sochi.

Try less the half the same players.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Posting to say this:
- big rinks indeed sucks
- it is not YOUR game my Canadian friends, you may (and are) the best in it, but you dont own it, it is everyones game
- I am afraid Russia will win this tournament now, this win will make them stronger mentally
- go outside with your friends, stop arguing, every international tournament is the same on hfboards, complete **** storm
- and to keep me entertained till 3 AM (SJ-DET), here is a little off topic (sorry for that) : anyone knows about some hockey movie? thanx in advance, PM

I think the Czechs have this.

Hockey movies:

-Youngblood
-Slapshot
-Miracle
-Mystery, Alaska
-the Rocket

cska78

Nov 27, 2006
USA
www.fc-rostov.ru
who will be our centers in 2014? Malkin, Anisimov, Loktionov? Datsyk, will he still be world-class by then? If Kuznetsov and Tarasenko progress by then, that looks scary! Burmistrov, Dadonov should be compatible by then...I am waiting for a break through from Grachev, Voinov, Panarin!

D worries me though big time

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
who will be our centers in 2014? Malkin, Anisimov, Loktionov? Datsyk, will he still be world-class by then? If Kuznetsov and Tarasenko progress by then, that looks scary! Burmistrov, Dadonov should be compatible by then...I am waiting for a break through from Grachev, Voinov, Panarin!

D worries me though big time

I'd have to say that, in front of your home fans, and all of that pressure, it's going to be on the shoulders of your goalie.

The whole country is going to be watching that guy - hero or zero.

Hopefully they have the right guy, or it could be ugly.

jore

Dec 26, 2007
Wasn't that was the year where there weren't any NHLers because the season ran long after the strike?

Yep, the World championships with the lousiest rosters so far I believe. Biggest moment in the history of Finland together with Loordi and whatever sport happens to win the lonely medal in Olympics. Unfortunately 99,9 % of the population are glory hunters with weak self/national esteem.

cska78

Nov 27, 2006
USA
www.fc-rostov.ru
I'd have to say that, in front of your home fans, and all of that pressure, it's going to be on the shoulders of your goalie.

The whole country is going to be watching that guy - hero or zero.

Hopefully they have the right guy, or it could be ugly.

Bryzgalov should still be good, if he's healthy - he'll be the guy.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
Both coaches were pathetic.

Russia won because it had more skilled players at this tournament. Nothing more, nothing less.

Very entertaining game.:handclap:

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Yep, the World championships with the lousiest rosters so far I believe. Biggest moment in the history of Finland together with Loordi and whatever sport happens to win the lonely medal in Olympics. Unfortunately 99,9 % of the population are glory hunters with weak self/national esteem.

Meh, you'll get another one sooner or later.

Just need a goalie to stand on his head. You've got plenty.

New User Name

Jan 2, 2008
It's actually embarrasing reading all the excuses we Canadians come up with.

Bottom line is we lost. When you look at the time, effort and money put into Canadian minor hockey you'd think we'd have better results.

Then again when you look at the time, effort and money we put into kids in minor hockey, it's shocking millionaire players refuse to play for their country.

Gotta give credit to Ovechkin, always appears for his country.

Any player that refused to play for Canada should be banned from the Olympics and that includes Toews.

Are Canadian players the least patriotic?

It seems none care that no Canadian team has won the Stanley Cup in 17+ years.

Mara

May 10, 2011

We had the chance to actually be the best in hockey in 2006. Who knows, maybe it would've carried on to the WC. Now we have another 50 years of darkness ahead of us. :(

jore

Dec 26, 2007

Well, these are nothing but World championships. (Occasionally) fun to watch but when most of the best are missing it really takes the fun out of winning. Always fun to win in sports but really means as much as the exchange students kicking it around for their World cup at the local university.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
We had the chance to actually be the best in hockey in 2006. Who knows, maybe it would've carried on to the WC. Now we have another 50 years of darkness ahead of us. :(

The Finns put up a great fight in 2006.

Also the Czechs.

It's too bad that people look down on the World Cup because there were some classic games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad