GDT: Quarterfinal • May 12 • Russia 2, Canada 1 • Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

VladNYC*

Great game! I am glad there is a Team Canada so we have this awesome rivalry. Here is a tip for Hockey Canada. Keep Hitchcock away from ANYTHING Russian. Whether it's playing against him or for him...it's his Achilles heal. :laugh:

Great goals in this one, both Canadian and Russian. That said, I think The Czechs have this wrapped up.

Vladiator16*

Congrats to all Russians and all those who were rooting for us!! As I predicted, we took care of Canada again!:)
Thank God for this win!

Having said that, I can't say I'm happy with the way we played at all. A win is a win of course and I think I will take it:)), but again I don't see from us the type of performance I expect (grit, desperation, desire, individual effort, physicality are definitely there, but team play,chemistry, cohesiveness, good passing, exquisite combinations - the trademark of soviet/russian hockey - all these elements leave SOOO MUCH TO BE DESIRED that I can't even put it into words).

TOO BAD they will retain Bykov after this win, even if we lose in the final to the Czechs (or less likely the Swedes) (like I said before - the Finns stand zero chance of beating us in the semis): he (and his assistant) has clearly exhausted himself as the coach of our national team - Russia SHALL, MUST AND WILL PLAY BETTER, WAY BETTER HOCKEY that what we've seen so far at this tourney and generally over the past year and a half.

However, congratulations to all for now: beating Canadians always gives u a good, warm feeling of satisfaction:handclap:
Go, Russia, go!!

PS: bykov and zacharkin MUST GO TOO:rant:

I agree with a couple of things you said, but i think you terribly underestimating team Finland.

hockeygeek

Apr 28, 2010
No problem, we don't play until Sunday.;)

This team obviously lacked leadership from management, through coaching, right down to the on-ice line-up. Seeing a Ken Hitchcock coached team assembled by Dave Nonis and led predominantly by rookies without a solid veteran presence fail in the quarters is not particularly surprising.

The whole Canadian program lacks leadership? I thought they were the best team in the tourney.

Vladiator16*

The Finns put up a great fight in 2006.

Also the Czechs.

It's too bad that people look down on the World Cup because there were some classic games.

:nod: Agree, I remember that goal in overtime by Czechs against Russians, few years ago, broke my heart, at the time... losing is losing, nobody want to lose in the international tournaments, it's bragging rights... even if sometimes some great players are missing, bottom line, everybody wants to win for their country.

pouskin74*

Well, the shots for example were of shockingly bad quality for Canadians and I don't know if I saw one rebound won. Where was the aggression, the tempo? (Actually, it did look pretty good for the first 10 minutes of the game, but then it all vanished.) Strange - good to know that you can still have this bad teams sent over here! (Canadian teams in the WC have been quite lethal for the last 5-10 yrs.)

dont waste your energy yet, after next game you should complain about finnish team and their inability to perform well :laugh:
its a playoff round, and time for a real battle:sarcasm:

pouskin74*

It's mind-blowing that all you people blame Burns, Spezza, and Phaneuf for Kaygorodov's goal, and NOBODY gives any credit to the scorer himself! I think that was utterly brilliant play by Kaygorodov, one of the best goals I've seen this year! Yeah, let's blame defense every time somebody scores a beautiful goal! How silly...

thats right!

achtungbaby

Oct 31, 2006
Congrats to the Russians. If Canada ever wants to do well at this tourney, we're going to have to start taking it more seriously.

llwyd

Feb 22, 2006
Helsinki
Yep, the World championships with the lousiest rosters so far I believe. Biggest moment in the history of Finland together with Loordi and whatever sport happens to win the lonely medal in Olympics. Unfortunately 99,9 % of the population are glory hunters with weak self/national esteem.

Well, people outside of Southern Ostrobothnia seem to have problems with self-esteem, yes. But I would not rate your post here very high in that respect either. It was a psychologically important victory as bad as the rosters were, and let them furriners knock it down, we don't need to do that. The problem for Finland is not -95, but the many finals after that.

llwyd

Feb 22, 2006
Helsinki
Did I go too far? :sarcasm: Finnish morale is down in this thread.

You don't obviously know the Finnish national character - we invented pessimism if Canada invented nice! Though you don't seem to be a nice little boy, where are your manners?

Namba 17

May 9, 2011
I don't understand why canadians are scolding their team. Should they win everything they are participated in? It's impossible. They had not their best players, but still played well against russian team that has more stars in it. I'm not that impressed with our game, I think we should win more confidently as we have stronger squad, but win is a win and the game was interesting to whatch. Also I think that we should play better against Finland or we might not go into final.

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
I don't understand why canadians are scolding their team. Should they win everything they are participated in? It's impossible. They had not their best players, but still played well against russian team that has more stars in it. I'm not that impressed with our game, I think we should win more confidently as we have stronger squad, but win is a win and the game was interesting to whatch. Also I think that we should play better against Finland or we might not go into final.

Yes. :)

Merya

Jokerit & Finland; anti-theist
Sep 23, 2008
Helsinki

Whenever, wherever, Canada doesn't win gold in hockey or curling, there will always be huge excuses. Whereever, hereafter could we maybe agree, that Canada came there to win...even if they didnät get gold. Treat it as a nice tourney that spreads hockey wider instead of national insult when Canada loses. Look at Germany and Norway and some other countries that have risen to fight at this level. It's really really really good for hockey in general. Maybe the next Gretzky in Norway will put on skates instead of skis. :P
For a spectator these games have been really really nice.

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range
Whenever, wherever, Canada doesn't win gold in hockey or curling, there will always be huge excuses. Whereever, hereafter could we maybe agree, that Canada came there to win...even if they didnät get gold. Treat it as a nice tourney that spreads hockey wider instead of national insult when Canada loses. Look at Germany and Norway and some other countries that have risen to fight at this level. It's really really really good for hockey in general. Maybe the next Gretzky in Norway will put on skates instead of skis. :P
For a spectator these games have been really really nice.

What are these excuses? Do you know what the word excuse means?

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
God, Artyukhin is so awful. Giant, skates ****ing fantastic, no ******* hands and even less hockey sense. Hes a ****ing high speed brick.

WeberStreit

Jan 31, 2008
Russia was quite lucky. I don't think they can win the WC.
Their shorthanded goal was typical "Russian":

They would have been able to clear the puck probably three times, but always weren't able to, because they tried some dekes. Canada was able to keep the puck in the zone 3 times. Then Kaigorodov got the puck. Instead of clearing it, he deked again! Te goal was brilliant but also lucky. I don't think they can play like that in every game.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don

They would have been able to clear the puck probably three times, but always weren't able to, because they tried some dekes. Canada was able to keep the puck in the zone 3 times. Then Kaigorodov got the puck. Instead of clearing it, he deked again! Te goal was brilliant but also lucky. I don't think they can play like that in every game.

To be honest, the only improvement in Russia's game was the defense and goaltending.
Apart from individual flashes of brilliance, the offense has no cohesion and the PP is just...:facepalm:

pouskin74*

you are simply wrong on this. russians always playing like this, in case when canadians just shoot they are trying to do it more beatyfully. fact is that russians are getting better than they were just couple games ago, so.. we will see

BobDobolina

Jan 11, 2010
NYC

But then again that's exactly what is great about Russian hockey. I love how they can do that in a situation like that. If that would have been an American player I would have been screaming at him to clear the ****ing puck though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad