Status
Not open for further replies.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
I can't believe how Burns and Spezza were so useless on that first goal for Russia, shorthanded!

Beauty goal though, big props to Russia for shutting down Canada's offense.

New User Name

Jan 2, 2008
I'm not sure how this is relevant.

PEI has never been more excited as when Brad Richards won the Cup in 2004.

I think if you polled Canadians, a vast majority (that care about hockey) would say they'd like the cup to be won by a Canadian team.

If you polled Canadian players, they couldn't care less.

They are too busy counting their hard earned American dollars.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Heh, a team assembled by Dave Nonis and anchored by Rick Nash and Jason Spezza failed? Colour me surprised.:sarcasm:

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Heh, a team assembled by Dave Nonis and anchored by Rick Nash and Jason Spezza failed? Colour me surprised.:sarcasm:

Everything about Vancouver is AWESOME!

I'm just glad you were able to take time out of your busy playoff schedule to spend some time with the little folk.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003

I'm just glad you were able to take time out of your busy playoff schedule to spend some time with the little folk.

No problem, we don't play until Sunday.;)

This team obviously lacked leadership from management, through coaching, right down to the on-ice line-up. Seeing a Ken Hitchcock coached team assembled by Dave Nonis and led predominantly by rookies without a solid veteran presence fail in the quarters is not particularly surprising.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
This team obviously lacked leadership from management, through coaching, right down to the on-ice line-up. Seeing a Ken Hitchcock coached team assembled by Dave Nonis and led predominantly by rookies without a solid veteran presence fail in the quarters is not particularly surprising.

True.

parabola

BOlieve dat
Jul 8, 2004
ಠ_ಠ

Taking a shot at Nonis is kind of an indirect shot at the history of the Canucks.

So it wasn't all a jab at Spezza. Just saying.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Taking a shot at Nonis is kind of an indirect shot at the history of the Canucks.

So it wasn't all a jab at Spezza. Just saying.

Well, Spezza hasn't won anything and he had a nice assist on Kaigorodov's goal.

So it's not entirely unfair.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
I wasn't taking a shot at anyone directly, those were just the marquee names that stood out to me (Nash, Spezza); overall the team was really way too young, and wasn't anchored by enough vets to keep it together. Plus it wasn't like the management or coaching really had the winning experience/pedigree to pull it together either.

ronnyweed

Aug 7, 2008
Ontario
I wasn't taking a shot at anyone directly, those were just the marquee names that stood out to me (Nash, Spezza); overall the team was really way too young, and wasn't anchored by enough vets to keep it together. Plus it wasn't like the management or coaching really had the winning experience/pedigree to pull it together either.

win or lose giving our best young players experience on the big ice is what matters heading towards 2014

Id rather this result than win it all with a bunch of 30 year olds that won't even be there in 2014

our teen agers/early 20s looked OK considering the number of Olympians they were up against

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
I think if you polled Canadians, a vast majority (that care about hockey) would say they'd like the cup to be won by a Canadian team.

If you polled Canadian players, they couldn't care less.

They are too busy counting their hard earned American dollars.

I'm Canadian and I think that's garbage. Almost every team is predominantly Canadian. Why would I care that a Canadian city wins it?

TonsofPuppies*

Mar 11, 2010
Toronto, ON
I'm Canadian and I think that's garbage. Almost every team is predominantly Canadian. Why would I care that a Canadian city wins it?

There isn't a team in the NHL that isn't AT LEAST 50% Canadian. So I completely agree. Look at the Montreal vs Boston series. Habs have 3x as many Americans as the Bruins. Yet the TD garden will chant "USA" when Canadian olympian Patrice Bergeron scores a goal. :facepalm:

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
There isn't a team in the NHL that isn't AT LEAST 50% Canadian. So I completely agree. Look at the Montreal vs Boston series. Habs have 3x as many Americans as the Bruins. Yet the TD garden will chant "USA" when Canadian olympian Patrice Bergeron scores a goal. :facepalm:

Ugh...the "USA" chant. I was watching a fight between two Canadians once and the USA chant started. Weird.....

Sentinel

May 26, 2009
New Jersey
www.vvinenglish.com
It's mind-blowing that all you people blame Burns, Spezza, and Phaneuf for Kaygorodov's goal, and NOBODY gives any credit to the scorer himself! I think that was utterly brilliant play by Kaygorodov, one of the best goals I've seen this year! Yeah, let's blame defense every time somebody scores a beautiful goal! How silly...

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
It's mind-blowing that all you people blame Burns, Spezza, and Phaneuf for Kaygorodov's goal, and NOBODY gives any credit to the scorer himself! I think that was utterly brilliant play by Kaygorodov, one of the best goals I've seen this year! Yeah, let's blame defense every time somebody scores a beautiful goal! How silly...

For perspective you'd probably do the same if it was tavares who scored that goal. It's what fans do. :laugh:

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range
win or lose giving our best young players experience on the big ice is what matters heading towards 2014

Id rather this result than win it all with a bunch of 30 year olds that won't even be there in 2014

our teen agers/early 20s looked OK considering the number of Olympians they were up against

This. I am pleased the that younger roster can be competitive and outplay a strong Russian roster for long stretches. Playing on the big ice in Europe will give them valuable experience when it comes time to beat Russia in 2014. I think Tavares is a lock for the A team now as a converted winger for Sid.

canuck2010

Dec 21, 2010

Come on man! Very weak defensive play. The two handed stick check on the blue line was a thing of beauty! lol.

ugghhh

Apr 17, 2009

I don't know if you can put much blame on Nonis. I thought he assembled a pretty decent team.

The only big mistake there was Hitchcock as coach, imo. I'm not sure if that was up to Nonis at all, given Hitchcock's history with team Canada. I guess you could blame Nonis for not realizing that any team with young players and Hitchcock as coach would be a mess, though.

MountainGoat

stupid Kovalchuk, I hate that guy, twice now he knocked Canada out

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Might just me, but his houseleague moves aren't all that thrilling in my eyes. It's a nice shot, but he simply dumps the puck 3-4 feet ahead and skates around a player who completely misreads the situation. He doesn't sucker them in to a bad play, they're already charging at him while he has full possession and time to make a decision.

therealdeal

Apr 22, 2005
Excellent hockey game overall, really exciting, back and forth, good chances, good hits.

Congrats to the Russians, though I thought Canada carried the play more than the Russians the teams were pretty even.

The shorthanded goal was good, mostly just a bunch of bone headed plays in the neutral zone and at the blue line by Burns, but still pretty exciting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad