GDT: Quarterfinal • May 12 • Russia 2, Canada 1 • Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
That is shocking as I didn't think much of Russian coaching (Haven't for a while)

I wouldn't say the Russian coaching was outstanding in this one.

Russia was opportunistic and made the most of their chances.

That's what using your skill level can do for you.

Canada could work hard, but didn't have a lot of offensive creativity out there.

Not enough talent I think.

TonsofPuppies*

Mar 11, 2010
Toronto, ON
Love how we scored 1 goal on Russia's backup. :laugh:

I cannot express in words how much I detest this team. I wish hockey Canada would boycott this tournament because all they're doing is embarasing themselves and tarnishing Canada's image with every year.

Like Wall

I am Registered User
May 2, 2006
Letu zeme
History all over again. It always repeats itself if you keep making the same mistakes again, ain't it right, Canada?

llwyd

Feb 22, 2006
Helsinki
Russia really wasn't that good for most of the game, they were actually pretty awful for long stretches. I still can't believe that Canada, usually the most clinically efficient of all big hockey countries couldn't finish them off long before the 3rd period. I haven't seen this bad Canada for ages. What was it with this team? (This was the only match I saw from them.)

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I cannot express in words how much I detest this team. I wish hockey Canada would boycott this tournament because all they're doing is embarasing themselves and tarnishing Canada's image with every year.

Nah, it's still fun to watch.

Gave me something to have on my second monitor at work.

PeacEnforcer

May 6, 2011
Congrats to all Russians and all those who were rooting for us!! As I predicted, we took care of Canada again!:)
Thank God for this win!

Having said that, I can't say I'm happy with the way we played at all. A win is a win of course and I think I will take it:)), but again I don't see from us the type of performance I expect (grit, desperation, desire, individual effort, physicality are definitely there, but team play,chemistry, cohesiveness, good passing, exquisite combinations - the trademark of soviet/russian hockey - all these elements leave SOOO MUCH TO BE DESIRED that I can't even put it into words).

TOO BAD they will retain Bykov after this win, even if we lose in the final to the Czechs (or less likely the Swedes) (like I said before - the Finns stand zero chance of beating us in the semis): he (and his assistant) has clearly exhausted himself as the coach of our national team - Russia SHALL, MUST AND WILL PLAY BETTER, WAY BETTER HOCKEY that what we've seen so far at this tourney and generally over the past year and a half.

However, congratulations to all for now: beating Canadians always gives u a good, warm feeling of satisfaction:handclap:
Go, Russia, go!!

PS: bykov and zacharkin MUST GO TOO:rant:

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
did Spezza score the only goal last time Kovalchuk boned us in OT?

I dont know why our secondary scoring doesnt show up in tight games. That year i believe we had stamkos and st louis on the 2nd line and they were totally phantom in that OT game while they tore up the rest of the tourny before (tavares' line this year?) and this year we didnt get much secondary scoring help....also wth is up with Nash.

Mara

May 10, 2011
Don't forget that this tournament means nothing to Canada. Just send your try outs again next year so that more teams have a chance to win the gold. ;)

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
Don't see why you care so much lol

I don't care what tournament it is. Losing to your rivals suck. Whether it's NHL, WJC, WHC or Olympics.

I'm most likely in the minority, but I care how Canada does in this tournament. If we're the best in the world we should be better than what we displayed today.

****ing garbage.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Russia really wasn't that good for most of the game, they were actually pretty awful for long stretches. I still can't believe that Canada, usually the most clinically efficient of all big hockey countries couldn't finish them off long before the 3rd period. I haven't seen this bad Canada for ages. What was it with this team? (This was the only match I saw from this team.)

They've played like this all tournament.

They weren't exactly lethal for the most part.

Sloppy and disorganized. Not capable of a 60 minute performance.

They still should have won this game, but they didn't pot their chances when they had the momentum and it cost them.

Winning 1-0 against this Russian team wasn't going to happen.

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
Lol @ some Canadian guy saying that Russia had their "almost Olympic" roster against Canada's U23 squad.

I counted 10 players from Russia's Olympic squad, that's less than 50%, I like the "almost Olympic" squad.

Plus Canada had A-level guys like Spezza, Nash, Phaneuf, etc which doesn't fit with "U23" squad somehow.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007

Sour grapes. All teams face obstacles, I like the tournament. Hockey Canada just has to start taking it seriously by picking good coaches instead of doing favors to those without a job and by being smarter in the players they choose. Russia has been shaming the Canucks by playing with bigger hearts and having their best players want to play for their country.

Fulcrum

Wow that's quiet a rection from Canadian fans who were adamant that they could care less about this tournament...

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Lol @ some Canadian guy saying that Russia had their "almost Olympic" roster against Canada's U23 squad.

I counted 10 players from Russia's Olympic squad, that's less than 50%, I like the "almost Olympic" squad.

Plus Canada had A-level guys like Spezza, Nash, Phaneuf, etc which doesn't fit with "U23" squad somehow.

Well, according to the IIHF.com, Russia had 12 Olympians and Canada had 1.

Canada still should have won the game, in the position that they were in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce