Quarterback movement rumor thread

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Passing on Watson and Mahomes is an all time stinker :facepalm:

Everyone knew they were making a mistake the second the pick was announced.
Other teams look bad now for passing on them too.

SF because Shanahan felt he could sign Cousins the next off-season. ok.... Jax with Fournette while they had Bortles. Jets with Adams over what they had that season. Cleveland moving the picks.

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town

SF because Shanahan felt he could sign Cousins the next off-season. ok.... Jax with Fournette while they had Bortles. Jets with Adams over what they had that season. Cleveland moving the picks.
Yes, most definitely the Niners. Was a bit perplexed at the time and now they made a terrible mistake not drafting Watson. I'll give them a pass on Mahomes because I don't think there was any talk of him potentially going in the top 5.

Reactions: Voight

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Yes, most definitely the Niners. Was a bit perplexed at the time and now they made a terrible mistake not drafting Watson. I'll give them a pass on Mahomes because I don't think there was any talk of him potentially going in the top 5.
Mahomes was talked about as a wildcard in terms of his insane arm talent, but was he too much of a Favre gunslinger? Needed the right coach and environment to hone his skills. Going to a really bad team, he might have felt the need to put everything on his shoulders and turn into another Winston, big yards, but also a bunch of picks.

But, clearly SF opted to go into that season with Hoyer at QB and hope that Cousins would be available in the next off-season. If they didn't get Jimmy G. late in the season they were in the running to be able to draft a Darnold or Allen or Rosen in the 2018 draft.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street

Of course, but what I mean was that the bears took a QB and that was their plan. However, there were two very good options available.

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon
The newest rumor is a Jimmy G for Teddy swap with Carolina. Wonder if SF then flips Teddy and a bunch of picks to Minny for Cousins. Teddy is painfully mediocre and worse than Cousins but he's still beloved by both Zimmer and the fanbase.

They could try to move up in the draft for a QB to sit behind him or they could tread water with Teddy in 2021 go 7-9/9-7 and then clean house after the season. And let the new coach find his QB.

The Vikings options are trade Cousins now or be stuck with him for the next two years. His 2022 contract becomes guaranteed in March. I don't hate Cousins but he's the type of guy who needs everything around him to be perfect to succeed (and the Vikings OL is garbage). He also sucks at feeling pressure and is scared to let his WRs make a play (this is how Keenum was successful in 2017).

RussianRacket

He/Him/His Pronouns
Dec 29, 2019
Coast Salish Unceded Territory
To earlier posts, Ryan has not significantly regressed. He's done quite well despite the team around him being awful.

Makes sense to get a QB at 4 and sit him. The guy coming in knows he won't be sitting behind like Trubisky or Foles, its a f***ing league MVP, guys.

Also, if Sewell is there at 4 you absolutely take him. That kind of pick can turn a long-term rebuild that sees Ryan into retirement into a quick turnaround that sees Ryan in the playoffs a couple more times.

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
To earlier posts, Ryan has not significantly regressed. He's done quite well despite the team around him being awful.

Makes sense to get a QB at 4 and sit him. The guy coming in knows he won't be sitting behind like Trubisky or Foles, its a f***ing league MVP, guys.

Also, if Sewell is there at 4 you absolutely take him. That kind of pick can turn a long-term rebuild that sees Ryan into retirement into a quick turnaround that sees Ryan in the playoffs a couple more times.
The Falcons aren't going to win a Super Bowl with Ryan. If they didn't win one up 28-3 with him, they never will. They are in a tough division (the Saints have cap issues), but Brady is ageless and the Panthers will improve too.

Yes Ryan is a league MVP, which will be 5 years ago come next. I'm not sure who is saying he is done, but at 36 and a chance to get your starting quarterback for the next 10 years you do it. They have been a listless franchise the past 3 seasons and are they really going to compete this year even with a better coaching? If they feel confident in one of them then they should draft one even over Sewell.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002

Still betting against this a trade regardless of how strained everything is. The Eagles don’t see Wentz the same way the Rams were willing to cut bait with Goff.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

Still betting against this a trade regardless of how strained everything is. The Eagles don’t see Wentz the same way the Rams were willing to cut bait with Goff.

Financially, it's a huge blow to Philly unless Wentz returns some money to facilitate a trade. Too much dead money.

Again, this is a firm warning to all teams not to extend their QBs until they are sure. Better to pay a bit more than to be wrong and be on the hook for $20 mill in dead money.

Both Wentz and Goff could have just finished their 5th year options and both the Rams/Eagles would have been out a total of around $55 million over those 5 seasons on them. But instead they paid them after year 3 trying to get ahead of the market.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Financially, it's a huge blow to Philly unless Wentz returns some money to facilitate a trade. Too much dead money.

Again, this is a firm warning to all teams not to extend their QBs until they are sure. Better to pay a bit more than to be wrong and be on the hook for $20 mill in dead money.

Both Wentz and Goff could have just finished their 5th year options and both the Rams/Eagles would have been out a total of around $55 million over those 5 seasons on them. But instead they paid them after year 3 trying to get ahead of the market.
Goff went to a Super Bowl in year 3, so it was safe to assume they had that level of guy. The Eagles pretended Wentz *won* a Super Bowl in year 2 and balled out afterward. Both teams gave up a lot to get them and are married to these guys. They gave you what you were looking for to extend them.

Reactions: Rhaegar Targaryen

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016

Wentz is a bad, bad quarterback. Absolutely no pocket presence and probably gets opposing CBs overpaid with his Wentzceptions.

DangleCity

Jun 23, 2016
Goff went to a Super Bowl in year 3, so it was safe to assume they had that level of guy. The Eagles pretended Wentz *won* a Super Bowl in year 2 and balled out afterward. Both teams gave up a lot to get them and are married to these guys. They gave you what you were looking for to extend them.
Anyone watching Goff and the games knew he wasnt worth that contract.

RussianRacket

He/Him/His Pronouns
Dec 29, 2019
Coast Salish Unceded Territory
The Falcons aren't going to win a Super Bowl with Ryan. If they didn't win one up 28-3 with him, they never will. They are in a tough division (the Saints have cap issues), but Brady is ageless and the Panthers will improve too.

Yes Ryan is a league MVP, which will be 5 years ago come next. I'm not sure who is saying he is done, but at 36 and a chance to get your starting quarterback for the next 10 years you do it. They have been a listless franchise the past 3 seasons and are they really going to compete this year even with a better coaching? If they feel confident in one of them then they should draft one even over Sewell.
mega prospect quarterbacks are coming along every 2 years now. there is no hurry to replace Ryan whatsoever as long as he is still playing at a high level (which he is). Outside of TL there is no quarterback this year that is worth skipping on a player who will be a franchise anchor at LT for 10 years while you still have a great quarterback. Even if that QB is old.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Wentz is a bad, bad quarterback. Absolutely no pocket presence and probably gets opposing CBs overpaid with his Wentzceptions.
I hope Wentz and his agent are realistic about his situation. Eagles are not going to eat a massive dead cap hit for him. He may have to come to the table with a cheque for the Eagles to drop their dead cap to facilitate a trade out. He can make that money back if he performs.

Reactions: Rhaegar Targaryen

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Yeah i was about to say, wasn't a major factor in canning Pederson for Roseman was he saw Wentz as a part of the Eagles long term future?

Idk if i buy that. The Eagles might be "picking up the phone" in the sense where they're doing their job and listening, but that's about it.

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
Wasn't the narrative that Pederson was out because of a power struggle that Wentz "won"?

That was part of it. I think more of it was Doug not being able to pick his coaches. He wasn't allowed to last offseason either.
mega prospect quarterbacks are coming along every 2 years now. there is no hurry to replace Ryan whatsoever as long as he is still playing at a high level (which he is). Outside of TL there is no quarterback this year that is worth skipping on a player who will be a franchise anchor at LT for 10 years while you still have a great quarterback. Even if that QB is old.
We are going to disagree. Fields is that player to me. Whether they feel that way about him or any of the others is tbd. The Falcons might not be in this position with Ryan again. I dont think they will be a playoff team next season also but not in the top 5 which makes it more difficult to find their next quarterback.

DangleCity

Jun 23, 2016
You get to a super bowl in year 2 of the program that’s not the questions you’re asking
But clearly its the question they should have been asking. Alot of people where questioning Goff during that run and how much of an impact McVays coaching had on him

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
But clearly its the question they should have been asking. Alot of people where questioning Goff during that run and how much of an impact McVays coaching had on him
Yeah, everyone was doing their jobs. McVay should get blame for having one game ruin their investment too. But even at that, you had a coach and QB in the super bowl in year 2 and beat a tough opponent on the road to get there. They had every reason to believe the Goff-McVay combination would bring sustained success.

DangleCity

Jun 23, 2016
Yeah, everyone was doing their jobs. McVay should get blame for having one game ruin their investment too. But even at that, you had a coach and QB in the super bowl in year 2 and beat a tough opponent on the road to get there. They had every reason to believe the Goff-McVay combination would bring sustained success.
Just seemed like blind faith then because I remember a lot of people questioning how good Goff really was and if McVay was propping him up

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Just seemed like blind faith then because I remember a lot of people questioning how good Goff really was and if McVay was propping him up
He was. Everyone knew it. Everyone that off-season wanted to hire any coach who ever had a cup of coffee with McVay. It’s hard to find quarterbacks that’s why they always get a shit ton of guarantees. The guy looked awful in his first year and I didn’t believe in him in his draft quite frankly.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad