Quarterback movement rumor thread

DoyleG

Reality sucks, Princesses!
Dec 29, 2008
YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
I would agree with theory. Probably would depend on how much the Lions valued Goff over getting a higher pick. Goff isn't good but the Lions still needed to trot something out at QB.

The Lions had originally asked for both Goff and Donald. The Rams declined on the latter, which resulted in the 2 1st round picks being offered.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I think things changed and the teams have it figured out with Howie overplaying his hand. The last week has moved quickly from ‘seeing what’s out there” to “they have no choice but to trade him” and that’s two different positions

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
I think things changed and the teams have it figured out with Howie overplaying his hand. The last week has moved quickly from ‘seeing what’s out there” to “they have no choice but to trade him” and that’s two different positions
Philly tried to manufacture a bidding war by using the NFL “insiders” but no one took the bait.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Philly tried to manufacture a bidding war by using the NFL “insiders” but no one took the bait.
The problem with saying you want a Stafford-type deal is that the Rams giving up future 1st round picks has different value than a 1st round pick this year. When you’re trading future picks they have a 1-round premium. You take a 1st round next year if you don’t want a 2nd rounder this year. Eagles are playing this backward.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg

Brandon Marshall says Russell Wilson is trying to figure out ‘a classy way’ to leave the Seahawks

Just when you think the potential to get really ****ing crazy couldn't get anymore high.

Seahawks fans seem to think there's *something* to this as Marshall does host a podcast and has been apparently banging this drum for weeks now. Whether the something is just Wilson posturing for leverage in making the Seahawks invest in pieces to win now or an outright desire to leave remains to be seen. I would assume the former but with this offseason who the **** knows.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

Just when you think the potential to get really ****ing crazy couldn't get anymore high.

Here’s the issue I have with QBs and their recent desires to be more involved. 1) you signed a massive contract that has guaranteed money making it punitive for the team to trade you. 2) if you want in on personnel moves the negative is that if those additions don’t come cheap like Gronk, Fournette, AB are you prepared for the pushback from teammates that you are making the decision to get guys cut from the team. Is Wilson going to tell Wagner that he’s getting cut to get an OL to protect him? Or prepared to hear it from the D that Wagner got cut cause they needed to get OL help?

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I think the Wilson stuff looks a lot like offseason football media generating a story.
They see Brady and his success but always leave out that he has never been among the 5 or so highest paid/cap hit QBs in the nfl over his career. Yet these same guys want to reset the market when it’s their turn for a contract.

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
They see Brady and his success but always leave out that he has never been among the 5 or so highest paid/cap hit QBs in the nfl over his career. Yet these same guys want to reset the market when it’s their turn for a contract.
Here’s my crazy theory: Brady could have maxed out his contract opportunities along the way and would have won just as many Super Bowls.

sigma six

Doesn't need stick tape
Aug 2, 2005
Cascadia
I think the Wilson stuff looks a lot like offseason football media generating a story.

Agreed. He's not going anywhere.
I'd love to see him restructure, to make his dreams of a better o-line come true but honestly, he can also help himself by seeing the shorter yardage stuff and getting it out faster.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
Here’s my crazy theory: Brady could have maxed out his contract opportunities along the way and would have won just as many Super Bowls.

Probably not.

The Pats always had very good depth because unlike other teams they had enough money to pay "middle-class" players. They could survive injuries to their top players (except Brady) better than most teams.

IMO, it was a huge part of their success.

Pestilence

Jan 17, 2016
Köklax, Finland

Difficult to say but Wilson went public himself and was quite telling of his displeasure. I don't know how Wilson getting more to say on personnel decision would help Seahawks though, salary cap makes things hard and he's most likely not the best evaluator anyway.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Difficult to say but Wilson went public himself and was quite telling of his displeasure. I don't know how Wilson getting more to say on personnel decision would help Seahawks though, salary cap makes things hard and he's most likely not the best evaluator anyway.
Like I said they are only thinking about adding people. In a salary cap world, it means someone has to go. When players have input into personnel decisions have they thought about the impact that will have on their team in the locker room when someone needs to get cut to make cap room for an addition?

how much cap space did Gronk, AB, and Fournette cost TB this past season?

this isn’t them going out and landing Trent Williams or Ryan Ramcyzk at OT this off season who will cost big money.

Reactions: Pestilence

sigma six

Doesn't need stick tape
Aug 2, 2005
Cascadia
Like I said they are only thinking about adding people. In a salary cap world, it means someone has to go. When players have input into personnel decisions have they thought about the impact that will have on their team in the locker room when someone needs to get cut to make cap room for an addition?

how much cap space did Gronk, AB, and Fournette cost TB this past season?

this isn’t them going out and landing Trent Williams or Ryan Ramcyzk at OT this off season who will cost big money.

I think LG is where they need to focus. Wonder if Hutch is open to a comeback

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

Sounds like teams aren't taking the bait.

For a team that has holes like Philly those 2 seconds if used right can be two starters.

And sending him to the afc has less chance of biting you since you play them once every 4 years and wentz would return once every 8 years.

Pestilence

Jan 17, 2016
Köklax, Finland
For a team that has holes like Philly those 2 seconds if used right can be two starters.

And sending him to the afc has less chance of biting you since you play them once every 4 years and wentz would return once every 8 years.

Maybe they want to trade Wentz inside the division so they get to play him twice a year :sarcasm:

But Indy probably would be the best landing spot.

Say Hey Kid

Under the Sign of the Black Mark
Dec 10, 2007
Bathory
If I was bad enough to have a high draft pick I'd take positions that have a better chance of being successful as a rookie. You only have them for 4 years. What position would I not take: JaMarcus Russell, Ryan Leaf, Tim Couch, Rick Mirer, Andre Ware, Akili Smith, David Klinger, Todd Marinovich, David Carr, Jack Thompson, Heath Schuler, Todd Blackledge, and Jim Druckenmiller. There are other ways to get a QB.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad