Confirmed with Link: Qualifying offers to Smith, Kindl, Andersson, Nyquist and other stuff

RedWingsNow*

You're beginning to sound like Eva with Hudler.

Mursak had 3 opportunities and almost 50 games at the NHL level to earn himself a job and failed to do what Tatar, Andersson and Nyquist did, all in fewer games.

Should the Wings never sign another prospect just because Mursak failed to crack the NHL line-up, got passed over by the other 29 teams, then decided to head to Europe for a better pay day instead of taking another minor league contract?

I hope Mursak does well in the KHL and gets another shot in the NHL but I don't think any sort of bias towards Michigan based players or any other location had anything to do with him no longer being in the organization.

Why are we even considering Glendening at all?
I can understand moving beyond Mursak at this point -- because look who we've got coming up --

But Glendening? It's a joke that both Holland and Babcock have publicly called him out as a prospect

When a player only a year old yet much, much, better was let go without ever getting his shot

HTT3*

Rubbish.
48 games isn't enough time to gell?
:laugh:

Maybe.
But I think anyone with even a couple dull rocks in his head can smack them together and understand that Chicago has a core young enough to compete for the cup for the next 5-7 years.
From time to time, they're going to build it up and bring it back down- The important thing is making the right choices.
Sometimes you have to let Versteegs and Byfuglien go.

Sometimes you're presented with the Hossa vs Franzen choice.
The best gms make the right tough choices.

Lets first wait and see if their GM can actually get the Qualifying Offers mailed in on time next time around before we start hailing them. :laugh:

Lets see how they do in a 82 season next year... I bet they get laughed at and people lose their jobs.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
I can't wait to see where Bickell ends up and for how much. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see a 6 year 24m deal for him. I'd love to have Bickell, he was the biggest difference maker in the finals next to Kane. But I don't think he's a guy you overpay for.

FlashyG

Dec 15, 2011
Toronto
Why are we even considering Glendening at all?
I can understand moving beyond Mursak at this point -- because look who we've got coming up --

But Glendening? It's a joke that both Holland and Babcock have publicly called him out as a prospect

When a player only a year old yet much, much, better was let go without ever getting his shot

Mursak had a shot and missed. He got more of a shot than Tatar, Nyquist and Andersson, all of whom earned roster spots.

He likely would have gotten another shot as well, providing he was willing to take a minor league deal and earn his spot like everyone else did.

I have no problem with Mursak taking the better pay day in Russia over playing another year in Grand Rapids, but his inability to produce at the NHL level, and his inability to stay healthy are the reasons he's not a Red Wing right now. It has nothing to do with a consipiracy to get more Michigan based players on the team.

I agree that Glendening is not as good as Mursak, but I don't see whats wrong with giving him a minor league deal and seeing what he can develop into. Its not like he's going to be getting NHL ice-time any time soon. If Mursak was willing to play in the AHL another year we wouldn't even be having this discussion.

SportsballChic

Jun 18, 2013
Toronto
I can't wait to see where Bickell ends up and for how much. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see a 6 year 24m deal for him. I'd love to have Bickell, he was the biggest difference maker in the finals next to Kane. But I don't think he's a guy you overpay for.

It always seems like the "potentially emerging power forward who has a good playoff" is the most dangerous kind of FA; at least to me.

I mean I gotta be honest, the whole lockout thing turned me off watching as much hockey as I usually do last year. I'm addicted to the Wings but I didn't spend a lot of time watching other teams during the regular season. By the time they played us I was like "wow, that Bickell guy is *way* better than I remember him being last year."

If he's the same player he has been these playoffs, for the rest of his career; he's going to look like a FA steal. But if he's the guy he was in 2011 who's just having a good season, he's going to get a GM fired.

I'm terrified of giving big money to that kind of FA forward. Would much rather just buy Horton and accept that he might retire early with concussions. Obviously just my opinion, no clue if Holland is going after either guy frankly. I have my doubts.

HTT3*

Yeah not sure why anyone would give Bickel big money, he's a whipping boy. But if the decision came down to between Wiess or Filppula for similar money and length, then the no brainer would be Holland giving that contract to Filppula.

As for Horton and Clarkson, I pass. Give the kids some ice time.

bababooeyII

May 28, 2013
Only thing absurd is your god awful reasoning.

Chicago won a cup during a lockout year (half season) when many teams didn't even have time to gel or to get it together. They should get an asterisk next to their name this year... I was all for a full year of a lockout for this reason, the "champs" this year from an 40 something game season is hollow.
Not impressive, funny you should point to it like it something spectacular. Next year they will probably back into the playoffs and get a first round exit. That's the way it goes.

In 7 years they will probably be fighting for more 1st overall draft picks again and go into another 60 year drought, it wouldn't surprise me. They just don't have the talent in the office to pull it off like the Red Wings do year after year after year after year.....

:shakehead

If the Wings had won the Cup I doubt you'd be singing this tune. You'd be the first one here praising Holland, but because it wasn't the Wings we're supposed to believe that this Cup meant little. If that's the case then this Cup run by the Wings meant nothing.

HTT3*

:shakehead

If the Wings had won the Cup I doubt you'd be singing this tune. You'd be the first one here praising Holland, but because it wasn't the Wings we're supposed to believe that this Cup meant little. If that's the case then this Cup run by the Wings meant nothing.

If that is true, then why was I hoping the lockout would just go all year and start a fresh 82 game season next year? I knew Detroit would get the asterisk next to their name as well.

bababooeyII

May 28, 2013
Too bad since Chicago is benefiting from his success. He is mailing in his Qualifying Offers in on time over in Fl. Maybe Bowman could learn more from Tallon.

Angry because some other GM has had success? Stan Bowman has done a good job in Chicago, and yes his dad has a lot to do with it. But then again, Ken Holland hasn't done that much since Bowman left Detroit, coincidence? :naughty:

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Chicago won a cup during a lockout year (half season) when many teams didn't even have time to gel or to get it together. They should get an asterisk next to their name this year... I was all for a full year of a lockout for this reason, the "champs" this year from an 40 something game season is hollow.

That is garbage.

1. Most of the time, the playoff standings are determined by Thanksgiving anyway. That's been true for the past several years. The good teams find a way to stay in it and the bad teams find a way to stay out. There's a tiny bit of movement at the margins.

2. You would absolutely not be saying that if the Wings won. Guaranteed.

BF3

Boom Roasted.
Dec 30, 2011
Cbus
How absurd.

It doesn't matter much where the Hawks drafted Kane and Toews.
We had Datsyuk and Zetterberg, who are at least equals and might has well have been lottery picks at this stage of the game.

The Hawks found a way to do it again.

2 Cups in the cap era.

I'd say that makes the champs, so far, of the cap era, with Boston, Detroit and Chicago a full step behind.

More like a half step for the half season and their half cup!

Sore loser ZING! :naughty:

SportsballChic

Jun 18, 2013
Toronto
It wasn't a lockout shortened playoff.

If anything the lockout probably made it *harder* on Chicago; due to a 48 game season they had to play *us* in round 2 instead of a real 7th seed.

*homer goggles, engaged* :)

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
If you watched any regular season games, you would know that's complete hog wash.

Tootoo either took a man with him to the box (4v4) or drew the opponent player into a penalty when they retaliated. He did a good job not taking dumb penalties. I think you are thinking of either Quincey or CLEARY or Bertuzzi, though Bert didn't play.

Tootoo taking bad penalties rarely happened. Wings have 6 other guys who you should pointing your finger at...

I never agree with this guy. He's spot on right here though.

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
Too bad since Chicago is benefiting from his success. He is mailing in his Qualifying Offers in on time over in Fl. Maybe Bowman could learn more from Tallon.

What does this even mean?

BF3

Boom Roasted.
Dec 30, 2011
Cbus
By the way, "Ken Holland did such a great job last year that he is shopping everyone he brought in last year" doesn't make a lot of sense.

No one is going to convince me that this was "the plan" or that any of those dudes are the reason the Wings overachieved last season.

Kenny had a bad off-season for whatever reason by most measures, and it looks like he trying to correct those mistakes. Fair enough.

HTT3*

That is garbage.

1. Most of the time, the playoff standings are determined by Thanksgiving anyway. That's been true for the past several years. The good teams find a way to stay in it and the bad teams find a way to stay out. There's a tiny bit of movement at the margins.

2. You would absolutely not be saying that if the Wings won. Guaranteed.

1. Islanders say hi ;)

2. Finally, I meet an internet clairvoyant!!!1!!

Thanks for the laugh, though. :laugh:

FlashyG

Dec 15, 2011
Toronto
Angry because some other GM has had success? Stan Bowman has done a good job in Chicago, and yes his dad has a lot to do with it. But then again, Ken Holland hasn't done that much since Bowman left Detroit, coincidence? :naughty:

Stan Bowman deserves a lot of credit for the Hawks success and its unlikely his dad has had much to do with that at all.

Scotty is unquestionably the greatest coach in the history of the game but his work as a GM is average or below average.

Also since he retired the Wings have won
Presidents Trophy 3 times
Central Division 7 times
Clarence Campbell Trophy twice
Stanley Cup once
Missed the playoffs 0 times
and finished with less than 100 pts (When possible) 0 times.

If that is doing "not much" I'd like to see what a GM doing a lot looks like.

bababooeyII

May 28, 2013
Stan Bowman deserves a lot of credit for the Hawks success and its unlikely his dad has had much to do with that at all.

Scotty is unquestionably the greatest coach in the history of the game but his work as a GM is average or below average.

Also since he retired the Wings have won
Presidents Trophy 3 times
Central Division 7 times
Clarence Campbell Trophy twice
Stanley Cup once
Missed the playoffs 0 times
and finished with less than 100 pts (When possible) 0 times.

If that is doing "not much" I'd like to see what a GM doing a lot looks like.

Umm, what? you know that Scotty Bowman was an advisor to the Wings front office, right? It's not like he dropped off the face of the earth. He left in 2009 to join his son in the front office.

HTT3*

By the way, "Ken Holland did such a great job last year that he is shopping everyone he brought in last year" doesn't make a lot of sense.

No one is going to convince me that this was "the plan" or that any of those dudes are the reason the Wings overachieved last season.

Kenny had a bad off-season for whatever reason by most measures, and it looks like he trying to correct those mistakes. Fair enough.

I think people are saying Tootoo did a great job in the regular season and was fun to watch. He punished lots of opposing players

CC was HUGE for the team in the playoffs. Wings don't make it past the 1st round without him.

You might be able to make a case for Samuelsson if hindsight was 20/20. Of course logical people understand that is not the case, them the breaks. Had Sammy been healthy, his offense 5v5 and on the PP would have been a nice welcome.

Dealing assets to improve the team isn't a mistake, it's a way to make the team better. He might also be shopping Tatar and I wouldn't be surprised if he throws Smith in on a deal. I could also see him trading Filppula's rights...

In the NHL we call that "asset management". It's a cool tactic, stick around, you might enjoy it. ;)

HTT3*

Umm, what? you know that Scotty Bowman was an advisor to the Wings front office, right? It's not like he dropped off the face of the earth. He left in 2009 to join his son in the front office.

Such a big loss! :laugh:

Isn't Chelios, Draper or Osgood in there now? Every team needs a waterboy, I guess. Bowman was a great hockey coach, everything else.... not so much. He might be able to make a mean pot of coffee, though.

bababooeyII

May 28, 2013
Such a big loss! :laugh:

Isn't Chelios, Draper or Osgood in there now? Every team needs a waterboy, I guess. Bowman was a great hockey coach, everything else.... not so much. He might be able to make a mean pot of coffee, though.

If you know anything about Scotty Bowman, he is not a waterboy or a errand boy. He is very vocal and demanding. I doubt that he sat back and collected a paycheck only. In fact, I remember that Babcock leaned on him a lot for coaching advice and I know that he was a valued member of the braintrust when it came to personnel decisions. You're insulting a guy who has been a part of 13 Cups, and just another fact for you....since Bowman has left the Wings and joined the Hawks the Hawks have won 2 Cups, the Wings have won none.

BF3

Boom Roasted.
Dec 30, 2011
Cbus
I think people are saying Tootoo did a great job in the regular season and was fun to watch. He punished lots of opposing players

CC was HUGE for the team in the playoffs. Wings don't make it past the 1st round without him.

You might be able to make a case for Samuelsson if hindsight was 20/20. Of course logical people understand that is not the case, them the breaks. Had Sammy been healthy, his offense 5v5 and on the PP would have been a nice welcome.

Dealing assets to improve the team isn't a mistake, it's a way to make the team better. He might also be shopping Tatar and I wouldn't be surprised if he throws Smith in on a deal. I could also see him trading Filppula's rights...

In the NHL we call that "asset management". It's a cool tactic, stick around, you might enjoy it. ;)

And he wants to get rid of all of them despite these irreplaceable contributions.

Your logic implies that there was no other people he could have signed, traded for, or called up that did the things that Tootoo, CC and Sammy did that he also wouldn't be actively shopping now - which were (in no particular order) hit dudes, get into staged fights, sit in the playoffs, be injured and replace Brian Lashoff.

I'm all for managing assets, but there is a difference between managing assets and dumping guys. Shipping Tatar/Smith for something (big) is managing an asset - trading guys on multi-year contracts that you just signed as free agents the year before that had a minimal impact on the team's performance is slightly different.

If Holland managed his assets properly there wouldn't be a glut of guys all of a sudden (that everyone saw coming last off-season).

HTT3*

If you know anything about Scotty Bowman, he is not a waterboy or a errand boy. He is very vocal and demanding. I doubt that he sat back and collected a paycheck only. In fact, I remember that Babcock leaned on him a lot for coaching advice and I know that he was a valued member of the braintrust when it came to personnel decisions.

I would lean on Bowman for hockey coaching advice, too. But to help balance my checkbook... I would not. Bowman was a subpar GM at best and I doubt his role as an adviser is anything significant. I might agree with you if Bowman had a string of something noteworthy we can point to when he worked in the office back when he was in the prime of his career.

I'm sure Maltby or whoever is doing a fine job that Bowman was doing. The bread and butter in Detroit is Kenny Holland. He's the brains that continues to make this club the top of the NHL year in, year out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad