Confirmed with Link: Qualifying offers to Smith, Kindl, Andersson, Nyquist and other stuff

RedWingsNow*

This has been discussed but I just don't get why you replace Filppula with Weiss, you are getting the same player, although Weiss is softer and more injury prone, he also is a year or two older. I just never got the fascination with Weiss that this team has. In fact, why does this team feel a need to go after centers? They are loaded at center, go after wingers, preferably one with some beef.

Why would any player fight it? He gets 2/3rds of his salary. He can go get another contract, and as long as it's $1M a year, he breaks even.

I suppose Sammy might not feel too confident in his value after missing a full year at his age.

But there's no point staying on a team where you aren't wanted.

RedWingsNow*

1) I'm disappointed that Kenny has his priorities backwards on the Cleary/Brunner/Flip contracts.
2) I'm happy Kenny realizes it's time to start clearing out junk.

Hopefully, this realization is a sign that Holland is going to do something big this summer (Iginla/Horton/whatever)

bababooeyII

May 28, 2013
Why would any player fight it? He gets 2/3rds of his salary. He can go get another contract, and as long as it's $1M a year, he breaks even.

I suppose Sammy might not feel too confident in his value after missing a full year at his age.

But there's no point staying on a team where you aren't wanted.

I agree with you. If the Wings engage him in a buy out I have no idea why he would stay, but I keep hearing his agent may call foul because he's injured.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
Why would you want to stay where you're clearly not wanted? I hope they make it clear to Sammy that he's no longer in the plans so if he decides to pull an injury clause he looks like the ass he is.

I don't think Tootoo or Samuelsson or Colaiacovo are "cleary not wanted" by the management. But sometimes you just need to do business.

And Sammy doesn't determine whether he's healthy or not, doctors do. Pretty sure it's a case of principles for the NHLPA more than anything else.

crashman

I agree with you. If the Wings engage him in a buy out I have no idea why he would stay, but I keep hearing his agent may call foul because he's injured.

Sammy can be a bitter guy, remember when he was "snubbed" by Sweden in 2010?

SportsballChic

Jun 18, 2013
Toronto
How? I'm hearing Weiss is looking for $6mm/yr, and looking for 4 to 5 yrs, no way on that one.

http://www.rotoworld.com/recent/nhl/1505/stephen-weiss

Says 5.5 there and it notes that given his age and injury history that number is probably not happening.

Also, not a Weiss admirer myself frankly; a season ticket holder for the Panthers said on r/DetroitRedWings that he sees Weiss as being worth a "max of 2.2 million" a year for 2-3 years.

Regardless, you asked why. The answer is still the same "Val wants an 8 year contract for bigger money than Weiss will get when all is said and done"

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon
Boy -- the big candidates to go are Tootoo, Colaiacovo and Sammy -- just to give you an idea of how terrible Kenny Holland's offseason was last year

Tootoo is fine and I though he had a good season. He didn't play in the playoffs because he doesn't PK and we didn't really need a fighter. I'd like to keep him a round.

CarloCo was fine when he wasn't injured and played well in the playoffs. I'd prefer him to Lashoff, but wouldn't care if he's traded. I wouldn't waste a buyout on him though especially when we have guys like Sammy, Bert and Quincey or even use one on Franzen next summer.

Sammy was just awful on all levels from day 1. If he's not bought out I'd riot.

1st Line Interloper

Will Drop the Gloves
May 4, 2013
Tootoo is fine and I though he had a good season. He didn't play in the playoffs because he doesn't PK and we didn't really need a fighter. I'd like to keep him a round.

CarloCo was fine when he wasn't injured and played well in the playoffs. I'd prefer him to Lashoff, but wouldn't care if he's traded. I wouldn't waste a buyout on him though especially when we have guys like Sammy, Bert and Quincey or even use one on Franzen next summer.

Sammy was just awful on all levels from day 1. If he's not bought out I'd riot.

Agree on all points. If we get to the playoffs/4th line injuries happen next year then I think Glendening should be promoted for Tootoo/Miller/Andy's spot. I think the 2nd year in the AHL would prepare him for that position.

That is assuming Glendening signs with Detroit, I think he signs easily though.

RedWingsNow*

Glendening
One year younger than Mursak
About the same size as Mursak.

Not nearly as good as Mursak -

but he's a prospect? Gee, I wonder if it's because he's from Michigan, and went to the UofM?

1st Line Interloper

Will Drop the Gloves
May 4, 2013
Glendening

but he's a prospect? Gee, I wonder if it's because he's from Michigan, and went to the UofM?

Glendening is a 4th liner, Mursak was a scoring forward that was projected on the 2nd-3rd line and flamed out due to injuries.

Glendening is an energy guy who brings a good two way game and can PK.

That's what I understand from Griffins recaps.

HTT3*

I don't think anyone gets bought up. But I pray it's Sammy, as RWN said, terrible offseason by Holland.

Tootoo wasn't bad for us, he was nice to have in the regular season. And not for CC, Wings don't beat the Ducks to go on to push the Blackhawks to a grueling game#7 where we likely could have easily won had Filppula not been injured and a penalty called on the charge which led to the fluky goal off Kronwall. Had Wings won that game (which they looked like there were destined to), Wings would probably be hoisting the cup last night.

I think Holland did a superb job. You can use hindsight to see Sammy would be riddled with injuries, but I promise you if he was healthy to play, Wings offense would have improved... and the PP would have been much better.

Not bad from the undisputed best GM in the NHL... especially from a rebuild year. We can look at Penguins, Hawks, Kings rebuild years to see how they accomplish what they have become; tank for 1st overall picks., that is a place we don't want (or need) to go. We don't need to be the laughing stock of the NHL.. this organization is WAY above that, we are better than them from top to bottom.

RedWingsNow*

Glendening is a 4th liner, Mursak was a scoring forward that was projected on the 2nd-3rd line and flamed out due to injuries.

Mursak is the definition of an energy guy.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills

Hard to bank on Mursak because of his injuries considering the Wings have so many prospects around his level that don't have the same history.

SportsballChic

Jun 18, 2013
Toronto
We can look at Penguins, Hawks, Kings rebuild years to see how they accomplish what they have become; tank for 1st overall picks., that is a place we don't want (or need) to go. We don't need to be the laughing stock of the NHL.. this organization is WAY above that, we are better than them from top to bottom.

I assume you mean either morally or "in the front office" right?

Only asking b/c as much as I love the Wings, we don't have a single player as good as Malkin/Crosby. That doesn't mean I like either guy but "top to bottom" implies "everything"...

sully6one

Unregistered User
Aug 6, 2011
Michigan
Glendening

Glendening weighs about 20lns more then Mursak and is a lot stronger and plays a big guy game. Mursak has more skill, but that doesn't make you an NHLer. Bottom line is Glendening fits a role and Mursak doesn't.

RedWingsNow*

Not bad from the undisputed best GM in the NHL... especially from a rebuild year. We can look at Penguins, Hawks, Kings rebuild years to see how they accomplish what they have become; tank for 1st overall picks., that is a place we don't want (or need) to go. We don't need to be the laughing stock of the NHL.. this organization is WAY above that, we are better than them from top to bottom.

How absurd.

It doesn't matter much where the Hawks drafted Kane and Toews.
We had Datsyuk and Zetterberg, who are at least equals and might has well have been lottery picks at this stage of the game.

The Hawks found a way to do it again.

2 Cups in the cap era.

I'd say that makes the champs, so far, of the cap era, with Boston, Detroit and Chicago a full step behind.

HTT3*

Tootoo is equally expensive and expendable; I failed to recognize how his "goon presence" helped out some skilled players - except for the opponents' PP units.

Gruß,
BSHH

If you watched any regular season games, you would know that's complete hog wash.

Tootoo either took a man with him to the box (4v4) or drew the opponent player into a penalty when they retaliated. He did a good job not taking dumb penalties. I think you are thinking of either Quincey or Bertuzzi, though Bert didn't play.

Tootoo taking bad penalties rarely happened. Wings have 6 other guys who you should pointing your finger at...

RedWingsNow*

Glendening weighs about 20lns more then Mursak and is a lot stronger and plays a big guy game. Mursak has more skill, but that doesn't make you an NHLer. Bottom line is Glendening fits a role and Mursak doesn't.

Last I checked, Mursak weighs about 195 pounds.

Why the hell do Red Wings fans continue to act like 5'11, 200 pounds is a "big guy"
Glendening isn't a big guy at all.
A little bigger than Mursak. Big whoop.

Mursak is faster, too.
Since when doesn't speed fit in an energy line role? What isn't that Darren Helm is prized for?

Nobody ever expected 30 goals and 80 points from Mursak.

The book on him was that he had the speed to be an energy line/PK guy and the skill the play up the lines when needed

RedWingsNow*

He seemed awful soft for an energy guy...

You have a silly definition of energy.

Anyone take a look at Mursak's +/- with the Griffs this year?

Between the regular season and playoffs, it's out of this world.

He was the best two-way player on the Griffs - and it's not even close.

FlashyG

Dec 15, 2011
Toronto
Glendening

You're beginning to sound like Eva with Hudler.

Mursak had 3 opportunities and almost 50 games at the NHL level to earn himself a job and failed to do what Tatar, Andersson and Nyquist did, all in fewer games.

Should the Wings never sign another prospect just because Mursak failed to crack the NHL line-up, got passed over by the other 29 teams, then decided to head to Europe for a better pay day instead of taking another minor league contract?

I hope Mursak does well in the KHL and gets another shot in the NHL but I don't think any sort of bias towards Michigan based players or any other location had anything to do with him no longer being in the organization.

HTT3*

How absurd.

It doesn't matter much where the Hawks drafted Kane and Toews.
We had Datsyuk and Zetterberg, who are at least equals and might has well have been lottery picks at this stage of the game.

The Hawks found a way to do it again.

2 Cups in the cap era.

I'd say that makes the champs, so far, of the cap era, with Boston, Detroit and Chicago a full step behind.

Only thing absurd is your god awful reasoning.

Chicago won a cup during a lockout year (half season) when many teams didn't even have time to gel or to get it together. They should get an asterisk next to their name this year... I was all for a full year of a lockout for this reason, the "champs" this year from an 40 something game season is hollow.

Not impressive, funny you should point to it like it something spectacular. Next year they will probably back into the playoffs and get a first round exit. That's the way it goes.

In 7 years they will probably be fighting for more 1st overall draft picks again and go into another 60 year drought, it wouldn't surprise me. They just don't have the talent in the office to pull it off like the Red Wings do year after year after year after year.....

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course

Chicago won a cup during a lockout year (half season) when many teams didn't even have time to gel or to get it together. They should get an asterisk next to their name this year... I was all for a full year of a lockout for this reason, the "champs" this year from an 40 something game season is hollow.

Not impressive, funny you should point to it like it something spectacular. Next year they will probably back into the playoffs and get a first round exit. That's the way it goes.

In 7 years they will probably be fighting for more 1st overall draft picks again and go into another 60 year drought, it wouldn't surprise me. They just don't have the talent in the office to pull it off like the Red Wings do year after year after year after year.....

Hawks have Bowman now.

How many Cups have Wings won without Bowman, when was the last time it happened?

:sarcasm:

RedWingsNow*

Rubbish.
48 games isn't enough time to gell?
:laugh:

Maybe.
But I think anyone with even a couple dull rocks in his head can smack them together and understand that Chicago has a core young enough to compete for the cup for the next 5-7 years.
From time to time, they're going to build it up and bring it back down- The important thing is making the right choices.
Sometimes you have to let Versteegs and Byfuglien go.

Sometimes you're presented with the Hossa vs Franzen choice.
The best gms make the right tough choices.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->