Confirmed with Link: Qualifying offers to Smith, Kindl, Andersson, Nyquist and other stuff

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
sounds like the Wings are pretty comfortable with the idea of Lashoff as the #7

there's gonna be injuries to defensemen in the regular season,that's just inevitable and it's reasonably likely that there will be an injury in the Playoffs too depending on how far they go

it's entirely realistic that Lashoff plays 40+ regular season games and some indeterminate amount of Playoff games as well and that doesn't sit well with me at all. the Wings would be MUCH better off keeping Colaiacovo

Completely agree. Unless they're planning on trading for a legit top 4 defenceman, which of course makes Cola expendable.

BSHH

HSVer & Rotflügel
Apr 12, 2009
Hamburg
Tootoo is equally expensive and expendable; I failed to recognize how his "goon presence" helped out some skilled players - except for the opponents' PP units. If he can be traded, the decision on him will be even easier.

Samuelsson could have had quite an impact, if he produced similarly like he did for Vancouver and Florida. We all know he did not (at least partly due to injuries), and I trust Holland and his staff to evaluate his situation correctly. It certainly does not help Samuelsson that Bertuzzi is another player with both considerable upside and injury issues, who is more proven among this roster and commands a lower salary.

Emmerton has a marginal cap hit and may be an option since Filpulla seems to leave and Helm still has a long way back. I do not see any point in trading him, since he can be waived in order to free up a roster spot.

Colaiacovo is a solid player. After Lashoff struggled heavily in the playoffs, I would not trust him as seventh defenseman; but it will not necessarily have to be Colaiacovo.

Gruß,
BSHH

crashman

Filppula will not be re-signed, Cleary will be. Brunner won't be, Weiss will get signed. I'd give a .00000000001% that people like this offseason. We'll have to hope and pray that our kids develop this team into a contender. Then when we're close, Holland will make a trade and we'll love him for a season or two, then back to misery.

Personally, I'd be happy with all of that, so long as it meant Tatar and Nyquist are up full-time, Andersson is our new 4th line center and Tootoo + Emmerton are gone.

I'm indifferent on Sammy and Carlo, but I'd prefer they both hit it road to make room for the younger guys.

If the Wings management are that high on Weiss (they've been scouting him for a couple years now), then I am too. Unlike most posters here, I actually think the Red Wings management know how to evaluate players.

I'm also totally fine with Brunner going un-signed if they sign/trade for a top-6 forward. As I've expressed lately, I think Iginla would be a great addition to our top-6 and PP. I dream of seeing Datsyuk flipping him saucer passes across the crease and him pounding them home, reminiscent of the days of young Datsyuk and Hull.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
Tootoo still played over 40 games in the regular season. Even the best teams sit their "goons" in the playoffs.

That's the part I don't get. Sure, he kind of underperformed point-wise, but everything, he delivered as an energy guy. Don't see why the Wings would let him go, especially when they're playing teams like the Leafs and Bruins next year.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
http://www.freep.com/article/20130625/SPORTS05/306250022/ken-holland-red-wings

Adding Nyquist and Andersson to the roster would put the Wings at 14 forwards under contract for next season, and while that’s how many the Wings plan on carrying, they’re not necessarily planning on carrying those 14.

“I’m going to explore a trade or two,” Holland said Monday. “Maybe a two-for-one deal, maybe a three-for-one, or three-for-two.”

Holland has had talks with the camps for all three of the unrestricted free-agent forwards — Valtteri Filppula, Daniel Cleary and Damien Brunner — but they’re all part of the puzzle that’ll fall into place over the coming week, vis-a-vis who fits where. It’s almost certain the Wings will end up trading Filppula’s rights, then set out to find a replacement second-line center.

Hendricks433

Feb 18, 2013
That's the part I don't get. Sure, he kind of underperformed point-wise, but everything, he delivered as an energy guy. Don't see why the Wings would let him go, especially when they're playing teams like the Leafs and Bruins next year.

Agreed. He's a bit expensive but provided great energy during the season and would be great against some of the teams in the east.

I would do it if we were sending out Tootoo so we can bring in a Bickell or something similar.

BF3

Boom Roasted.
Dec 30, 2011
Cbus
If this report is true in all respects, last off-season turned into a **** show for Holland. Even if his plan was to buy one more year for some of the young guys or whatever, we are pretty much looking to dump everyone that was acquired last year.

Or you could say Holland is learning from his mistakes? This off-season will say a lot in that regard. Resigning Miller, Datsyuk and Howard, for the money and years, none of that is particularly surprising. His decisions regarding Cleary, Sammy, Bert, Tootoo, Flip and the young RFAs...that will be a better indication of where he wants this team to go in the near future.

For instance, I think Cleary is worth keeping around in the bottom 6, specifically the 4th line, for the right amount of money. But Holland (and everyone else) knows that if he resigns him, Babcock is slotting him in the top 6 until his legs fall off. That's the reason why he shouldn't be brought back - but will Kenny see it that way?

Hendricks433

Feb 18, 2013
If this report is true in all respects, last off-season turned into a **** show for Holland. Even if his plan was to buy one more year for some of the young guys or whatever, we are pretty much looking to dump everyone that was acquired last year.

Or you could say Holland is learning from his mistakes? This off-season will say a lot in that regard. Resigning Miller, Datsyuk and Howard, for the money and years, none of that is particularly surprising. His decisions regarding Cleary, Sammy, Bert, Tootoo, Flip and the young RFAs...that will be a better indication of where he wants this team to go in the near future.

For instance, I think Cleary is worth keeping around in the bottom 6, specifically the 4th line, for the right amount of money. But Holland (and everyone else) knows that if he resigns him, Babcock is slotting him in the top 6 until his legs fall off. That's the reason why he shouldn't be brought back - but will Kenny see it that way?

What about Miller, Andersson, Tootoo, Eaves and Emmerton. Those are all really 4th line guys. If Cleary is back then he is at a minimum a 3rd line guy.

crashman

Because he makes $1.9m and he's only going to play 6-8 mins, IF he plays at all.

There's no reason what so ever that he should make more than Drew Miller. Personally, I think Cleary's next contract should be Tootoo money, and there's no way in hell that's fair. Cleary is 5x the player Tootoo is, even at this stage of his career. Holland overpaid Tootoo and Babcock doesn't value what Tootoo brings, so he needs to go.

I hated the Tootoo signing from the get go, but I started accepting it because he laid a few big hits in his first few games in Detroit, then he disappeared. If we're gonna put an "enforcer" out there, let's get one that can be depended on defensively and doesn't take a ton of stupid penalties. Tootoo even gets reputation calls, which isn't fair, but NHL officiating isn't fair.

That's what I've been saying since midway though the season. Last off-season was a complete disaster! Every signing was unnecessary except for Gustavsson, which is still debatable. Cola isn't the bottom-pairing/7th d-man this team needs, we need someone that can clear the crease and lay down the law, not a offensive-minded guy made of glass. Sammy can be a good player, but he's no good to us injured and he's overpaid. Tootoo, see above.

I'd love to see Holland clean house, starting with these guys.

BF3

Boom Roasted.
Dec 30, 2011
Cbus
That's what I've been saying since midway though the season. Last off-season was a complete disaster! Every signing was unnecessary except for Gustavsson, which is still debatable. Cola isn't the bottom-pairing/7th d-man this team needs, we need someone that can clear the crease and lay down the law, not a offensive-minded guy made of glass. Sammy can be a good player, but he's no good to us injured and he's overpaid. Tootoo, see above.

I'd love to see Holland clean house, starting with these guys.

Brunner was a bright spot, now it looks like he may not sign him back...weird.

crashman

Brunner was a bright spot, now it looks like he may not sign him back...weird.

I just don't think he's a high priority. It's still unknown if he could cut it in a full NHL season, and even if he can, he still has a few weaknesses to his game. It would be a mistake to commit big money to a guy like that when you could spend it elsewhere on a player that you pretty much know what you're getting. As we know, Holland doesn't like make risky signings, like it or not.

SportsballChic

Jun 18, 2013
Toronto
Agree with BSHH and Crashman; I have never understood the fascination with Tootoo. I don't hate the guy but "energy, fights, sanpaper" are completely replaceable skills on the FA market at any time. There's no freaking WAY that guy is worth 1.9 a year and I'll be glad he's gone. Call up Mitch Callahan; he'll throw and he's faster, younger, scores the occasional goal and most importantly is PAID like a guy who's only gonna play 6-7 minutes a night.

I know he's popular but Cleary is popular and ya'll don't seem to care about dumping him (I agree btw, I don't think Holland will do it but I would MUCH rather see Cleary's minutes go to someone with a future).

Honestly if this is all true, I'm thrilled: although I am starting to believe ppl when they say dumping Carlo for nothing is a bad idea. He had a good playoff and Lashoff isn't... talented? At all? In any given way?

Also, despite being a big Ken Holland fan I have to agree with the 5-6 posters who say that if "this" is the offseason plan, Kenny should come out and literally apologize for last offseason because it was a debacle.

My 2 cents naturally.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
The Red Wings won't decide until Monday, at the earliest, if they will use a buyout.

They will try to alleviate this logjam by trading somebody this weekend. Scrappy Jordin Tootoo is available, according to a source, and chances are, so is fourth-line center Cory Emmerton.

The Red Wings will see if there is any interest in Colaiacovo at the draft. He has one year remaining on his contract at $2.85 million ($2.5 million cap hit). If they move or buy-out Colaiacovo, they'll have seven defensemen.

Todd Bertuzzi and Tootoo also are compliance buyout candidates.

The Red Wings will attempt to trade Filppula's negotiating rights for a conditional draft pick this weekend if the sides remain far apart on a contract. They continue to talk, but it does not appear as if a deal will get done because Filppula has been seeking a long-term contract worth more than $5 million a season, more than the club is willing to give.

If Filppula isn't re-signed, the Red Wings would prefer to acquire a center to replace him. Stephen Weiss of Florida is a potential free-agent option.

Discussions continue with Brunner and Cleary, but no deals are close. Term is an issue with Cleary, as the Red Wings don't want to commit too many years to him at age 34. The club continues having difficulty finding common ground on a salary figure with Brunner, who has only one lockout-shortened NHL season under his belt.

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2013/06/red_wings_look_to_alleviate_fo.html

JBauerly97

Jan 8, 2013
Coldwater, MI
Samuelsson, who has one year left at $3 million on his deal, could be a candidate to be bought out, but since he never returned to play in the playoffs due to an injury it could be a dicey situation where his agent might not accept it based on those grounds.

What exactly does this mean that his agent might not accept a buyout? Sammy/agent can't revoke or fight a buyout, can they? Or does it just mean his agent will call Kenny bad names for not giving Sammy another year to try to stay healthy?

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
Samuelsson, who has one year left at $3 million on his deal, could be a candidate to be bought out, but since he never returned to play in the playoffs due to an injury it could be a dicey situation where his agent might not accept it based on those grounds.

What exactly does this mean that his agent might not accept a buyout? Sammy/agent can't revoke or fight a buyout, can they? Or does it just mean his agent will call Kenny bad names for not giving Sammy another year to try to stay healthy?

He could fight he's not 100% healthy/still rehabilitating. Only healthy players can be bought out.

bababooeyII

May 28, 2013
This has been discussed but I just don't get why you replace Filppula with Weiss, you are getting the same player, although Weiss is softer and more injury prone, he also is a year or two older. I just never got the fascination with Weiss that this team has. In fact, why does this team feel a need to go after centers? They are loaded at center, go after wingers, preferably one with some beef.

bababooeyII

May 28, 2013
He could fight he's not 100% healthy/still rehabilitating. Only healthy players can be bought out.

Why would you want to stay where you're clearly not wanted? I hope they make it clear to Sammy that he's no longer in the plans so if he decides to pull an injury clause he looks like the ass he is.

SportsballChic

Jun 18, 2013
Toronto
This has been discussed but I just don't get why you replace Filppula with Weiss, you are getting the same player, although Weiss is softer and more injury prone, he also is a year or two older. I just never got the fascination with Weiss that this team has. In fact, why does this team feel a need to go after centers? They are loaded at center, go after wingers, preferably one with some beef.

Flip wants 5.5 or so for 8 years. That's basically why. Weiss will be a lot cheaper/shorter term than that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad