Confirmed with Link: Qualifying offers to Smith, Kindl, Andersson, Nyquist and other stuff

SportsballChic

Jun 18, 2013
Toronto
Booo, I was hoping for numbers :(

The news that Tootoo, Carlo and Emmerton might be traded is nice though. They seemed like logical targets to get off the roster, although I really dunno how much Emmerton matters; he's making almost nothing.

Still, was really hoping to actual numbers on the RFA. Cheers anyways; article was interesting. :)

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
I can't tell what comes from "a source" and what is pure speculation?

Hope the bit about not signing Brunner before free agency starts is false.

RedWingsNow*

Boy -- the big candidates to go are Tootoo, Colaiacovo and Sammy -- just to give you an idea of how terrible Kenny Holland's offseason was last year

bababooeyII

May 28, 2013
I don't think anyone gets bought up. But I pray it's Sammy, as RWN said, terrible offseason by Holland.

RedWingsNow*

I like Tootoo- but Babcock isn't going to use him.
So if you can move him, send him out.

Wolverine Wings

#thankyoubasedgod
Feb 27, 2012
Detroit

Yeah, I agree. No sense keeping a player who isn't going to play, though there certainly are worse players than Tootoo.

Edit: To add, I also think flipping the rights to Filp and moving Tootoo will be a positive start to the offseason unlike last year.

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington

I wouldn't say that. If they keep him, he'll play a lot during the regular season and contribute. Who knows when the playoffs come around? Perhaps he'll earn Babcock's trust.

Wolverine Wings

#thankyoubasedgod
Feb 27, 2012
Detroit
I wouldn't say that. If they keep him, he'll play a lot during the regular season and contribute. Who knows when the playoffs come around? Perhaps he'll earn Babcock's trust.

His salary isn't a problem, but his roster spot is. Wings gotta find room for the young guys, getting a mid-to-late round pick for Tootoo isn't too bad; I'd prefer it to be Emmerton, but with the questionable future of Helm having some center depth is far more useful than Tootoo. For the record, I like Tootoo and what he brings to the table, having a guy willing to be a bit of goon for the sake of toughness is needed on this team, size doesn't guarantee that.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Boy -- the big candidates to go are Tootoo, Colaiacovo and Sammy -- just to give you an idea of how terrible Kenny Holland's offseason was last year

They definitely didn't work out. If Holland had made other moves, I could have understood those signings, but he just collected more pieces and shoved the kids into GR. Injuries ended up sorting the roster out for him.

DatsyukToZetterberg

Alligator!
Apr 3, 2011
Island of Tortuga
I don't think anyone gets bought up. But I pray it's Sammy, as RWN said, terrible offseason by Holland.

I think the gameplan was to sign them & hope that either they produced or if they got hurt/didn't produce our kids did. It worked but now we're stuck with 3 guys that are just taking away roster spots from those same kids. I guess the bright side is we can still potential trade them for something. :dunno:

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
I don't necessarily believe it, but it's pretty much exactly what I want Holland to do...which is why it's almost certainly total BS. ;)

Filppula will not be re-signed, Cleary will be. Brunner won't be, Weiss will get signed. I'd give a .00000000001% that people like this offseason. We'll have to hope and pray that our kids develop this team into a contender. Then when we're close, Holland will make a trade and we'll love him for a season or two, then back to misery.

hot dog

Mar 20, 2013
Filppula will not be re-signed, Cleary will be. Brunner won't be, Weiss will get signed. I'd give a .00000000001% that people like this offseason. We'll have to hope and pray that our kids develop this team into a contender. Then when we're close, Holland will make a trade and we'll love him for a season or two, then back to misery.

It'd be unpopular but I wouldn't hate it. It'd leave our top six looking relatively like:

Z - Dats - Abby
Franzen - Weiss - Nyquist
(Cleary)

Of course, Cleary would probably play in Nyquist's spot to at least start the season, but I'm optimistic that Nyquist will become a top six regular next season, especially if Brunner isn't back. Abdelkader almost certainly will be given every chance to play on the top six again next season regardless of what we do in the offseason. I'd really like to see Brunner back, though... he's not great in any facet of the game but I think his ceiling is around a 30 goal scorer, which would be huge for this team. Franzen is really the only guy in that top six who would also have the goal first mentality, although he, Datsyuk, and Zetterberg all could crack 30 with a good year in the East.

Bottom six would be pretty tough to predict, other than down the middle where we'd have Helm and Andersson playing. Tatar would be a shoe in on the third line, and a line of either Nyquist - Helm - Tatar or Nyquist - Andersson - Tatar would be awesome. Whichever of Cleary/Nyquist stays in the bottom six probably lands as the last third line player. Fourth line would be most likely to be Eaves and Miller, when healthy... but Tootoo and Bertuzzi would also have significant shots at playing time. Of course Tatar could be another guy with a 30 goal + ceiling, but I really doubt he gets extended top six minutes next year so it's kind of pointless to speculate on for the time being.

Defense would be unchanged in this scenario which I think is actually pretty likely. Let the kids on defense grow with a full offseason and build chemistry. We could see either of Quincey or Cola moved... Lashoff will probably be the seventh guy.

Kronwall - Ericsson
Smith - Quincey
Kindl - Dekeyser

I think it's a playoff team still. Not the ideal offseason, but acceptable, I guess. I'm not huge on Weiss but I'd welcome the move. I'd happily give Brunner an extra 1-1.5 million on top of whatever we are resigning Cleary for in this scenario and switch who stays and walks.

tl;dr.. pretty realistic, albeit uninspiring scenario. "meh".

SportsballChic

Jun 18, 2013
Toronto
Okay, so assume the original article is right and that means Carlo, Tootoo and Emmerton are on the block. And then assume someone actually cared (I'm not sure anyone does for the forwards but I hear Carlo's salary makes him moveable):

What could we reasonably expect back? I mean is Emmerton even worth a can of coke?

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
sounds like the Wings are pretty comfortable with the idea of Lashoff as the #7

there's gonna be injuries to defensemen in the regular season,that's just inevitable and it's reasonably likely that there will be an injury in the Playoffs too depending on how far they go

it's entirely realistic that Lashoff plays 40+ regular season games and some indeterminate amount of Playoff games as well and that doesn't sit well with me at all. the Wings would be MUCH better off keeping Colaiacovo

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad