Confirmed with Link: Qualifying offers to Smith, Kindl, Andersson, Nyquist and other stuff

HTT3*

And he wants to get rid of all of them despite these irreplaceable contributions.

Your logic implies that there was no other people he could have signed, traded for, or called up that did the things that Tootoo, CC and Sammy did that he also wouldn't be actively shopping now - which were (in no particular order) hit dudes, get into staged fights, sit in the playoffs, be injured and replace Brian Lashoff.

I'm all for managing assets, but there is a difference between managing assets and dumping guys. Shipping Tatar/Smith for something (big) is managing an asset - trading guys on multi-year contracts that you just signed as free agents the year before that had a minimal impact on the team's performance is slightly different.

If Holland managed his assets properly there wouldn't be a glut of guys all of a sudden (that everyone saw coming last off-season).

First of all, if the source is legit, it says he is shopping for players to improve the team, not to dump players. I doubt he'll trade CC for Derek Meech and a bag of pucks. If he is trading CC, for example, it will be in a package deal (Tatar/Nyquist/Smith and maybe + picks) to improve the team. That is managing assets.

I think he is looking for a top 2 dman and a top 6 forward. To obtain that, he will need to trade roster players.

SportsballChic

Jun 18, 2013
Toronto
Somehow this conversation is about a world where Jordin Tootoo is a vital asset and Scotty Bowman is a coffee boy.

I love Holland as much as anyone but.......what?

Last edited by a moderator:

HTT3*

Somehow this conversation is about a world where Jordin Tootoo is a vital asset and Scotty Bowman is a coffee boy.

I love Holland as much as anyone but.......what?

Wait, who said Jordin Tootoo is a vital asset?

Last edited by a moderator:

FlashyG

Dec 15, 2011
Toronto
Umm, what? you know that Scotty Bowman was an advisor to the Wings front office, right? It's not like he dropped off the face of the earth. He left in 2009 to join his son in the front office.

While that's true we have no idea what his day to day duties were for the Wings during that span, nor do we know what he does for the Hawks now. He has lived in Buffalo during all those years so his contributions are more than likely made by telephone.

I highly doubt Holland and Nill were going to him for advice on their jobs like Babcock was, after all they were the ones that replaced him after he tried to trade Yzerman to Ottawa for Yashin.

It always amuses me the lengths some people will go to prevent Holland getting credit for anything. Its like everything bad that happens is his fault but anything good that happens is credited to either Bowman, Nill or Hakan Andersson.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
That might have something to do with the players on those teams.

Yeah, which is also how Bowman has always rolled anyway, the only time he has showed up for a far from certain thing is in Buffalo. They were almost certainly better before he got there than when he left. That was also the only job he had full autonomy in the decision making process.

Make no mistake his organizational decisions are basically front runner behavior. If Columbus had offered him and his son 30 million dollars a year to split last year Scotty probably would have said no.

I do think it is interesting that you see him a lot more around Chicago than you did here in terms of his role there. He probably deserves more credit there than when he was living in Buffalo and talking to Mike Babcock a lot, that was basically his front office role here.

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
If we are essentially signing "another Filppula" for less than his desired 5.5 with a better half-season to show for it, then I'm fine with whatever money, but two years is ideal.

Flip is a 2-way player. Brunner is not.

I'd rather explore a trade or see what Weiss/Riberio wants.

Kyleftlx

twitter*****/kyle_ftl
May 9, 2010
Michigan!
On Brunner - people don't want him back over 3M. Think about this, Ericsson got a 3-year deal at 3.25 mil cap hit per year after a season where people considered him a #6 d-man who took too many stupid penalties and was a liability on the ice.

Ericsson has gone on to become one of the guys Holland names as a "building block" piece. Now, I know it's just taking words from context, but I read a Holland quote recently where he said he wasn't sure where to go after the Lidstrom retirement, but that he knew he had Z and D, Howard, Kronwall, and Ericsson who he felt were great pieces to build around.

I don't expect Brunner to become anywhere near as vital as Ericsson has been to the Red Wings success, but if he comes back for a contract that is more money than anyone is comfortable with, I think the Ericsson contract is one to look at as a comparison. Ericsson went from a penalty machine who didn't play nearly as big as his size suggested to a top 4 d-man in two seasons. It won't surprise me when he gets a decent raise at the end of this upcoming season.

Basically, Brunner could get 3.25 million, 3.5 million, hell he could get more if teams want him bad enough. All I know is that he played really well in the playoffs, was one of the top players on the ice during the postseason, and was a huge piece of Detroit's postseason success. 9 points, including clutch goals and a +2 rating. Filppula is going to easily get 5+ million, and he had an absolutely awful season AND postseason. Brunner at least looked like he was working hard out there in the postseason, and you can tell he WANTS to win. He's a guy Detroit loves to have around, and it wouldn't surprise me if Holland has to overpay to keep a guy that was pretty valuable to the team this year.

RedWingsNow*

I can't wait to see where Bickell ends up and for how much. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see a 6 year 24m deal for him. I'd love to have Bickell, he was the biggest difference maker in the finals next to Kane. But I don't think he's a guy you overpay for.

He will be hard to replace. but he can be replaced.

Watch out for this kid:
http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=110949

He's not as tough, but he's huge and he has very good skill

Crymson

Fire Holland
May 23, 2010
Umm, what? you know that Scotty Bowman was an advisor to the Wings front office, right? It's not like he dropped off the face of the earth. He left in 2009 to join his son in the front office.

It's funny to see people claim that Bowman was a huge factor after his retirement. It just ain't so.

WingsOverAvs

Non Right Winger
Jun 27, 2011
Orlando FL
Brunner - anything under 3yrs 10m and I'll be happy
Nyquist - 1.5-2.5 per
Kindl - 2-2.5 per
Smith - 1.5 per
Andersson - 1 per

Buyout Sammy & Tootoo
Trade Coli/Eaves/Emmerton

Try to add size via FA (Bickell, Penner,)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad