World Cup: QF: Sweden vs. England, 7/7/2018

Who advances?

• Total voters

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
Regarding the "England hate" because of their biased media, I wonder if this perception comes partly from the fact that more people know English and simply read or listen to what they say. I find it hard to believe that Brazilian and German media, for example, aren't just as biased, if not more so, but fewer people who aren't Brazilian or German routinely digest their media. I'm not saying that that's all of it, since Brits seem to consider the sport theirs in the same way that Canadians consider hockey, but I suspect that there's a lot of confirmation bias, too.
thatsplenty.gif

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
Two rather unimaginative teams playing largely direct long-ball tactics, but England clearly had the better individuals and a better team as well. Credit to Sweden though, especially for the tournament, they tried and executed their best given their limitations.

Pickford was the 3rd keeper to make crucial saves in the QFs, wonder if that continues in the last one as well. Sterling is rather useless in this team, outside of his speed he offers almost nothing. Rashford should take his place.

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Now I hope this was the last we saw from Berg and Toivonen in the Swedish national team. Don't know if I have ever seen a player look so soft and nonchalant on the pitch as Toivonen

So you want Gudetti - Thelin?

Then there is Nyman, Sebastian Andersson and Ishak.

howkie

Dec 13, 2014
Bah

Crap, world cup is over now, but getting the the quarter finals with a population this small, it is always a good result. Won Under 21 Euro couple years ago and now a quarter final in the world cup, we are slowly getting back from the dark years...

Prntscrn

Sep 29, 2011
Sweden
So you want Gudetti - Thelin?

Then there is Nyman, Sebastian Andersson and Ishak.

God no. All current options are horrible.

Once Mrabti has made the move he might be in contention. And I hate to say this but I hope Isak can have a break-out year and actually become something for the national team

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
Surely, you have no liked any WC or EC then?

In all seriousness, I was more bothered by the swedish fans trying to tell us Sweden would beat up anyone.
That said, after this win (in which Sweden might have had the better chances) England's going to be overrated again.... sigh...
It was a lose/lose situation anyway.

In any case, it's the first time England reaches a semi outside the english soil.

Italy 1990?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad