World Cup: QF: Sweden vs. England, 7/7/2018

Who advances?

• Total voters

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Regarding the "England hate" because of their biased media, I wonder if this perception comes partly from the fact that more people know English and simply read or listen to what they say. I find it hard to believe that Brazilian and German media, for example, aren't just as biased, if not more so, but fewer people who aren't Brazilian or German routinely digest their media. I'm not saying that that's all of it, since Brits seem to consider the sport theirs in the same way that Canadians consider hockey, but I suspect that there's a lot of confirmation bias, too.
No, no I assure you.
In France, media just keeps on criticizing and hating.
In England, it seems those critics can't be heard because of the legion of blind "optimists".

Say Hey Kid

War, children, it’s just a shot away
Dec 10, 2007
Bathory, GA
Yes! To avoid hurt feelings and disappointment, the other countries should just forfeit the WC to England right now.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
If you think England as a team dives as much as Brazil, Portugal, etc., I have some swamp land to sell you.

I don't like any diving, but I responded to a post about not having constant whistles in this game, and it's true because guys aren't hitting the pitch every 30 seconds from a gentle breeze like we see from some other countries.
Dives? They have dove more in this WC.
Embellished? Brazil has embellished more.

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON
Someone forgot to tell Sweden they were playing today. That was atrocious.

Not the greatest of games to watch as a neutral.
I’m
Congrats to England. Full value for the win.

Reactions: N o o d l e s

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
Solid game from England. Still think Rashford should be in that starting team and it’s going to hurt them against a better team.

Sweden with a terrible performance. They looked a sum of their mediocre parts, but the need to overlap when on the attack shouldn’t need explained.

Just hope Croatia do the job tonight and we should have a couple of good semi-finals.

Prntscrn

Sep 29, 2011
Sweden
Well we made it past countries like Netherlands, Italy and Germany with a bunch of at best average players so I'd say this was a pretty f***ing successful World Cup for Sweden.

Now I hope this was the last we saw from Berg and Toivonen in the Swedish national team. Don't know if I have ever seen a player look so soft and nonchalant on the pitch as Toivonen

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
Rofl, in 2008 England had 10 players ( could have made a team an entire team minues goalie) that started in the champions league final and that team didn't qualify for the Euro's that year. Now look at this team in Semi Final of the World Cup. Oh my.

Stray Wasp

May 5, 2009
South east London
Rofl, in 2008 England had 10 players ( could have made a team an entire team minues goalie) that started in the champions league final and that team didn't qualify for the Euro's that year. Now look at this team in Semi Final of the World Cup. Oh my.

Well, the goalie position was not insignificant in England's failure to qualify for the 2008 Euros...

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
No, no I assure you.
In France, media just keeps on criticizing and hating.
In England, it seems those critics can't be heard because of the legion of blind "optimists".

I suspect that that says more about France. English media, in general, whether England/GB, US, Canada or Australia, tends to be optimistic. It's not unique to England. I think that it's natural for countries to be optimistic and unnatural to be pessimistic and negative (except after the fact, when criticism is deserved).

Last edited:

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
I suspect that that says more about France. English media, in general, whether England/GB, US, Canada or Australia, tends to be optimistic. It's not unique to England. I think that it's natural for countries to be optimistic and unnatural to be pessimistic and "hateful" (except when it definitely deserved).
I do hate the french media for their negativity. They always try to start trouble.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad