World Cup: QF: Sweden vs. England, 7/7/2018

Who advances?

• Total voters

SenorDingDong

Apr 1, 2006
Toronto
Why do people hate England so much?

For me it's the unbelievable bias and annoyance of the British media. The ITV commentators today kept rambling on about England's superior stamina, mental ability, strength... bla bla. Even at the end after they won they started going on about how England now has a clear path to the finals, brushing off Sweden.

Reactions: Eisen

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Sweden had a win against france, a draw vs Netherlands, a win and a draw against italy, should have won over germany, 3-0 over mexico and just beat out swiss. People who think this is a sure win for England are clueless. The swedish team may lacking stars but we are a team-machine.

Also if we look at history England always had great problems with Sweden.

Seiza

Feb 28, 2002
Sweden
Not many of the Swedish players would find a place on the squad of the other teams in this tournament. The strikers for example, must be the worst of any team in Russia. But as a team, Sweden has been really impressive. Clean sheets in 3 out of 4 games.

Historically Sweden has done quite well against England, it wouldn't surprise me if we got to witness a 1-0 win.

RedLeader

Feb 13, 2008
It's only been two years since England lost to Iceland with our old coach, Sweden plays similiar but better. People have short memories.

Sweden has beat better teams than England to get to this point, (France and Italy).

England hasn't looked good against quality opponents Belgium/Colombia yet.

Sweden has outchanced their opponent in quality chances every game while the score is even, Sweden scores the first goal every time, then it parks the buss plays for the result. Something England tried and failed against Colombia. The possession numbers is misleading since we counter attack fast direct and long , we don't do side passes like Spain.

Our attackers have been really snakebitten, if we had better luck Sweden would score a lot more goals.
Sweden was the highest goalscoring team in the qualifiers above Netherlands and France.

Now having said all that, i think it's a 50-50 game. Just like the history between England and Sweden shows.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Why do people hate England so much?
Try reading something in the English papers. Some moron from Daily Mail said us Croats have an advantage because we are the same as Russian, as in we have home field advantage because we are eastern European as they are. No mention of the massive cultural difference between the two at all. Then whining and saying the only reason Subašić and Schmeichel saved penalties was because they "cheated", but then they glorify Pickford who did the same thing etc. The media is obnoxious, entitled and arrogant, same as some of the fans, with notable exceptions like some of the posters here who remain even-keeled at all times.

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Best central-defenders in the WC of the teams who is left: (According to whoscored)
1. Gimenez, Uruguay
2. Granqvist, Sweden
3. Thiago Silva, Brazil
4. Godin, Uruguay

Left-backs:
1. Laxalt, Urugay
2. Marcelo, Brazil
3. Strinic, Croatia
4. Augustinsson, Sweden

Right-backs:
1. Trippier, England
2. Fernandes, Russia
3. Menuier, Belgium
4. Lustig, Sweden (suspended the next game)

Goalkeepers:
1. Olsen, Sweden
2. Muslera, Uruguay
3. Akinfeev, Russia
4. Subasic, Croatia

Wingers:
1. Neymar, Brazil
2. Mbappe, France
3. Claesson, Sweden
4. Rebic, Croatia

lud

May 27, 2009
Croatia
Sweden. England always have problem with Sweden game. Sweden is much more paced and organized team. 1-0 for Swedes.

canuckster19

Former CDC Mod
Sep 23, 2008
Gothenburg Sweden
I think the game will look very similar to the England-Colombia and Sweden-Germany. It’s a matter of whether England can penetrate Sweden’s defense, or if Sweden can capitalize on the few chances they will get.

bluumax

Mar 7, 2008
Feel like we can beat Sweden as im sure they feel they can beat us.

Will be very interesting to see how they approach set pieces considering up to now teams seem to have gone far too aggressive in marking against English set pieces.

Sweden seem to have done well on the counter from what ive seen so far- so id expect England to prepare for that considering there will likely be a lot of slow build up play from England, feel like it could be similar to the Colombia game in that England might control the pace/tempo (which i think Sweden will be comfortable allowing) but will struggle to break them down- the key will be making sure that when Sweden do break we keep good structure so as not to concede "against" play and possibly mount a counter of our own.

Would like to see Dele Alli come out for Loftus Cheek and alos see Rashford introduced earlier in the game instead of Vardy (i think bringing Rashford on at 70mins vs Colombia could have killed the game- for me its the one big mistake Southgate has made)

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
For me it's the unbelievable bias and annoyance of the British media. The ITV commentators today kept rambling on about England's superior stamina, mental ability, strength... bla bla. Even at the end after they won they started going on about how England now has a clear path to the finals, brushing off Sweden.
*English media, thank you.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Sweden got pace? Where?

I haven't thought about it much, but could Sweden be the slowest team in the WC? They break quickly at times, but that isn't because they got players that run especially fast.

Unfortunately I think England matches up nicely with Sweden. That back 3 should be fairly comfortable with Berg and Toivonen (even more so if they go with Cahill instead of Walker). And I fear Kane might just pop up once even if Sweden are excellent at defending. Sweden looked tired after around 65 mins yesterday, but even if the Swiss are fairly decent they do lack someone up front even close to the quality of Kane. Sterling could also cause problems if he ends up one on one with one of the CDs. That is difficult, but if too much focus is placed on Kane space might just open up - and at times Sterling is tricky to handle in tight spaces.

I only see two reasons for Sweden to have much of a shot at winning. 1) England get frustrated and loses their discipline (did happen a bit against Colombia - it didn't look very organized as soon as GS started using his subs and Kane had ran out of gas) 2) Sweden are slightly more rested with England playing later and obviously 30mins longer. Both physically and mentally that might drain them a bit more.

Jaguar God

Go Bruins!
Jun 19, 2018
Montreal
Try reading something in the English papers. Some moron from Daily Mail said us Croats have an advantage because we are the same as Russian, as in we have home field advantage because we are eastern European as they are. No mention of the massive cultural difference between the two at all. Then whining and saying the only reason Subašić and Schmeichel saved penalties was because they "cheated", but then they glorify Pickford who did the same thing etc. The media is obnoxious, entitled and arrogant, same as some of the fans, with notable exceptions like some of the posters here who remain even-keeled at all times.

Sorry, I don't read hack journalism and let it could my judgment.

Reactions: al secord

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
Yes, it's the garbage English media that are at fault why nobody likes England in football. They've accomplished absolutely nothing, yet they sound like they're the greatest thing that happened in football since the invention of the sport, every time. It's not being mediocre at it that is a problem, it's the chest thumping and arrogance, where you again look at the garbage media.

I like that Sweden faces England in the QF, it's a 50/50 game, but if you listen to English media, England will win this game 99/100 times. And sure, Sweden plays boring football, but so are the majority of all the teams this tournament. It's the dead ball era and FIFA is always fine with that, they get rich either way.

I'm not impressed by Sweden's game, but neither am I impressed by England. The only team I guess I'm impressed by how they play - that is left - is Uruguay, but they have Suarez, so it's not like I'm cheering for them.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lilou

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->