World Cup: QF: Sweden vs. England, 7/7/2018

Who advances?

• Total voters

Firsov99

Feb 17, 2006
Trippier? Maguire? Simulting being touched without being touched against Colombia?
Nope. I was referring to a Swedish player. When your team is behind, it’s highly unlikely to see a player wasting time.

Stray Wasp

May 5, 2009
South east London
Oops missed that ! Of course ! 1990 being the only exception, right?

Are we just counting the World Cup?

In 68 they reached the Euro semis too. Their qualification was the combined results from the two previous Home Nations Championship, followed by a two-legged playoff with Spain. So a semi-final, but not really comparable to earning a semi-final place in the modern era.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Are we just counting the World Cup?

In 68 they reached the Euro semis too. Their qualification was the combined results from the two previous Home Nations Championship, followed by a two-legged playoff with Spain. So a semi-final, but not really comparable to earning a semi-final place in the modern era.
Yeah you can count it too.

Reactions: Stray Wasp

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
A few players diving on England isn't really comparable to Brazil who have diving as part of their football philosophy.
You're right. At least Brazil players embellished after fouls. Maguire and Tripper weren't even touched.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
A few players diving on England isn't really comparable to Brazil who have diving as part of their football philosophy.
Dele is one of the biggest divers in the game. Same with Gerrard before him. They just don't get criticized cuz English media narratives.

Reactions: Stray Wasp

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Regarding the "England hate" because of their biased media, I wonder if this perception comes partly from the fact that more people know English and simply read or listen to what they say. I find it hard to believe that Brazilian and German media, for example, aren't just as biased, if not more so, but fewer people who aren't Brazilian or German routinely digest their media. I'm not saying that that's all of it, since Brits seem to consider the sport theirs in the same way that Canadians consider hockey, but I suspect that there's a lot of confirmation bias, too.

N o o d l e s

Jul 17, 2010
South Shore
Surely, you have no liked any WC or EC then?

In all seriousness, I was more bothered by the swedish fans trying to tell us Sweden would beat up anyone.
That said, after this win (in which Sweden might have had the better chances) England's going to be overrated again.... sigh...
It was a lose/lose situation anyway.

In any case, it's the first time England reaches a semi outside the english soil.

My grandparents immigrated from Italy, I’ve enjoyed plenty of World Cups :naughty:

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
You're right. At least Brazil players embellished after fouls. Maguire and Tripper weren't even touched.
If you think England as a team dives as much as Brazil, Portugal, etc., I have some swamp land to sell you.

I don't like any diving, but I responded to a post about not having constant whistles in this game, and it's true because guys aren't hitting the pitch every 30 seconds from a gentle breeze like we see from some other countries.

Reactions: I am not exposed

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
I have nothing against England as a side. They don't interest me and I don't really like any of their players, but if they win at this point (I still doubt it) I could care less. It's just the "fans" and their commentary that's generally annoying.

:facepalm:

Reactions: Evilo

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->