World Cup: QF: Sweden vs. England, 7/7/2018

Who advances?

• Total voters

Marcobruin

Oct 30, 2016
England always seems to have quite high expectations but they always seem like a flat bland team..well they're in the final 4 but eventhough I sure don't follow soccer all that much and even if I chose england over Sweden.......I think it stops here

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
It's not coming home with a side led by Gareth Southgate let's be honest. I do have some hope if this team matures more by Euro 2020 since Germany have continued to employ that knobhead.

N o o d l e s

Jul 17, 2010
South Shore
It's not coming home with a side led by Gareth Southgate let's be honest. I do have some hope if this team matures more by Euro 2020 since Germany have continued to employ that knobhead.

But he's going up against Roberto Martinez, Didier Deschamps and Zlatko Dalic, so that's a bit harsh. Talent aside, which one of those coaches would you really have faith in?

To your other point, I wholeheartedly agree. I'm really interested to see how young potential stars like Ryan Sessegnon integrate into the core of this squad, which is fairly young.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
I think Joachim Low is a shit-tier coach but this England run (if they do get to the final) is not that different to the slightly surprising Argentina run in 2014. They of course lost to a mediocre-ly coached German team because of what I thought was a huge gap in talent alone, not much to do with actual coaches.

Deschamps is criticized a lot but he knows his side better than some of these other guys. His issue is maybe squad motivation, his team plays down to the level of the other team rather than controlling the game like they can but he has made some adjustments at least. Southgate really hasn't since the start of the tournament and it's going to bite him, it doesn't help that the road to get to here so far has been through weak to mediocre teams (Tunisia/Panama/Colombia/Sweden). He hasn't really made any tactical adjustments and he's been poor in making subs I feel. He waits too long, even Deschamps does a better job with subs even if he makes strange decisions like starting Tolisso instead of Dembele to get some width in that Uruguay game.

Anyways, one of these teams will mark Harry Kane and then what? Can't rely on set-pieces and the idea of Raheem Sterling going against these proper defenders like Lovren or Varane or Kompany is a bit hopeless. And England's midfield isn't good enough defensively to shield the defence enough to drag these games out to a 0-0 shootout either.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
DD is a defensive and stubboen coach. But the amount of criticism he gets here is weird.
This is a guy that reached the CL final with Monaco beating Real and Chelsea on the way.
He's a winner as a coach, just as a player.

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
DD is a defensive and stubboen coach. But the amount of criticism he gets here is weird.
This is a guy that reached the CL final with Monaco beating Real and Chelsea on the way.
He's a winner as a coach, just as a player.
It's not surprising regarding the player he once was as well. And it's successful.

Prntscrn

Sep 29, 2011
Sweden
That photo looks like it's from the 90s. How old were you in the 90s?

Here's a Swedish fan who was actually at today's game for you to console:

NINTCHDBPICT000418806534.jpg

Stray Wasp

May 5, 2009
South east London
I presume the Swedish fans were too polite to retort, 'You're decent, but our women wouldn't touch you swaggering wankers with two bargepoles, and they'd never want to live in a shithole like Birmingham or Stoke.'

Reactions: Denzil and Evilo

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
I presume the Swedish fans were too polite to retort, 'You're decent, but our women wouldn't touch you swaggering wankers with two bargepoles, and they'd never want to live in a ****hole like Birmingham or Stoke.'
That reminds me.
My english instructor came from Slough, he didn't have one single good thing to say about it.

Stray Wasp

May 5, 2009
South east London
That reminds me.
My english instructor came from Slough, he didn't have one single good thing to say about it.

From passing though, it's not pleasant, but not conspicuously worse than other London satellite-type towns.

You may or may not have heard about the notorious poem by future poet laureate John Betjeman called Slough that includes the line, 'Come, friendly bombs, and fall on Slough!'

Betjeman apparently wrote it more as a generalised objection to industrialisation than as a jibe against the place itself, but it stung the locals, and not long after its 1937 publication world events made the line seem a mite tactless.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad